Changing dana 30 & 44 ring and pinion

Idaho 51

Does anyone have a lead on the instructions to Change the ring and pinion? There are vids and instructions for lots of other stuff. This seems to be a closely held secret.

pvanweelden

Its not really a secret, but yet something that is not exactly a diy type of thing. You might get lucky and be able to get the shims close, but without periodically checking for shavings, you won't know until its too late that the tolerances were not correct. Leaving you with a vehicle that won't move anymore.
I love doing as much as I can on my own jeep to save a buck, but gears are best left to someone with the experience

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

Does anyone have a lead on the instructions to Change the ring and pinion? There are vids and instructions for lots of other stuff. This seems to be a closely held secret.
there are videos online for changing gears out in a DANA axle.... i watched some, then took mine to the shop to have it done :doh::crazyeyes:

Bonehead

I agree with the poster above, I will tackle anything else on my jeep. But when it comes to messing with the internals of the front and rear end it is going to the shop, I will change the yokes when it is time for drive shafts but lockers and gears......nope:grayno:

David1tontj

^X10 if its a daily driver!

So say you decide to tackle this job despite the other comments... Do you have the correct tools? Just a few.
-Minimum 12ton shop press
- dial indicator with magnetic base
-micro torque wrench for rolling torque
-torque wrench
- spindle nut socket
-bearing puller
....... And more. And I'm sure you already have impact wrench etc. and an air chisel is a big help too!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

jbaskin28

I'm with the others here. I'll tackle almost any job on the jeep myself. But gears I'll leave to a "pro". Especially because if it breaks, I have someone to go yell at :D hahaha. I have gears waiting for when I get home from deployment, and I'll be scheduling the install before I even get back to the states.

JKWrang

^X10 if its a daily driver!

So say you decide to tackle this job despite the other comments... Do you have the correct tools? Just a few.
-Minimum 12ton shop press
- dial indicator with magnetic base
-micro torque wrench for rolling torque
-torque wrench
- spindle nut socket
-bearing puller
....... And more. And I'm sure you already have impact wrench etc. and an air chisel is a big help too!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

So you mean to tell me its not just outting two toothed gears together and sealing a diff cover? :eek::p

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

ChaosNein

I recommend a shop unless you have done this before. There are lots of variables and its not really something you want to learn by trail and error I dont think. Also remember if you have a D30, you will need a new carrier!

Top Bottom