Snow Chains?

Raven Moon

To chain or not to chain that is the question. I am about to do some traveling and may have to go through snowy/icy areas during my travels. I have a new Sahara and not sure if I should get chains. I dont want to get stuck on some mountain pass but I also dont want to ruin my new Jeep. I dont even have 2000 miles on it yet. Some recommendations would be helpful as to brands type etc...

Thanks
Raven

Rccrwlr

To chain or not to chain that is the question. I am about to do some traveling and may have to go through snowy/icy areas during my travels. I have a new Sahara and not sure if I should get chains. I dont want to get stuck on some mountain pass but I also dont want to ruin my new Jeep. I dont even have 2000 miles on it yet. Some recommendations would be helpful as to brands type etc...

Thanks
Raven

Take a look at your users manual if you have it. Depending on your model it may not be recommended. See our users manual below. We have an 08' Rubi

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380864029.735543.jpg

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380863840.038023.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380863840.038023.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 225

jeeeep

Hooked
I believe the owners manual states on rears only and not on Rubi or Sahara?? I remember seeing it list tire sizes. aha!! someone posted the user manual before I finished lol

I have a 2010 Rubi and have used chains on it, I think the manual states not Rubi because of the tire size, as long as you have clearance and proper fit you should be fine.

I've also gone without chains and just aired down (got to travel slow anyway if it's that bad).

For me depends on how icy or packed it is before I put on the chains.

If you get some, practice how to put them on ...it sucks trying to put them on in bad weather..the faster you are the better!

SDG

Caught the Bug
I have never put chains on my jeep but have put them on several trucks which were 4wd. My advice would be get the correct sized chains, and fit them while its nice out in your driveway. Cut off the extra links (however make sure the leave a couple extra links in case you are having a hard time getting them on in the cold)... I always ran 2 of those rubber band things per tire, but I dont know as that necessary. I have put chains on all 4 wheels on a 4wd before, just make sure you have the clearance on the front if you intend on buying a set of 4. I used to run this setup when there was heavy snow/ice when I was up in Tahoe. I usually didnt run the chains unless it was absolutely necessary,but when you need them they are a life saver. If there is heavy snow and you need to put them on, drive back and forth several times to pack down the snow, it will keep your hands from getting as wet and make a miserable experience much more bearable.

NAUJK

Im from Colorado, and I have never used chains in my life even driving over I70 and Berthoud Pass and other mountain passes like it. It is just all about being smart and taking it easy and slow. But since I have no experience with chains, and dont know exactly what you will be doing, I dont think I could give proper advice. But if it were me, I would have them just incase but would probably not use them.

TrailBear

Depending in where you are or where your going if it gets bad it can be mandatory to chain up, otherwise you can get fined.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The mountain states I travel in all allow 4WD vehicles to pass when the chain requirement is in effect. No worries. It's a good idea to check in advance what the policies are in each state of your planned travel. I have mounted front chains on CJ's for fun off road. They definitely made a difference. You've got a major advantage with 4WD on your new JK. Enjoy your trip!:yup:

jhires

Here in Washington on the passes, most of the time when chains are required, all wheel drive vehicles are exempt. However, you must have chains with you even though you don't have to put them on. I've never heard of anyone getting spot checked for this, but something to consider.

There was one day last winter where chains were required for everyone crossing Snoqualmie Pass including all wheel drive vehicles, but that is the only time I can remember in the last 20 years and it had snowed 18 inches in one hour. Usually they close the passes when condition gets that bad.

Having said that, if you do get chains, make sure you can put them on and take them off at home so when/if you do need them, you aren't trying to figure out how to use them on the side of the road and in the snow, or worse, find out they don't fit at all. Every time I've ever put chains on a vehicle, the weather has downright sucked with heavy snow, wind, and very cold.

Chains are really just another tool or safety device to have with you when traveling in the winter where there is frequent snow. Hopefully you won't need them, but there if you do.

huggysjk

I have the same problem. Just got a JKUR with 35's. i have a cabin in Big Bear california, I live in San Diego. Most of the time they let 4 wheel drive vehicles thru mountains with out putting chains on. but being in the mountains you are legally required to have them. Chains are $100 for actual heavy ass chains and other cord style are $200 plus. Any one have the cord style? Or know where to get a better deal on some? Thanks

SDG

Caught the Bug
I use these

blah... pic wont link from the other site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom