Umm...Trail rated?

Capita

Hello Wayalife,

Owned trucks all my life but wanted smaller.Thinking I spent 35k+ on a rigid machine with a good track record of outdoor functionality, I have to question if this money was wasted on something built for the lesser.

My concern is this, I buy an "off-road vehicle", threw on the 2.5" lift and 35's and think I'm good to go. There will be no crawling waterfalls or air time in the dunes but now I'm spending a day on the weekend welding in gussets because I hear echoes of bent C's from pot holes at the mall (maybe just fear mongering). I find it ridiculous that after 35k+ I need to spend a $100 more for gussets so I don't end up needing to upgrade the entire axle housing, ball joints and unevenly worn tires returning from the grocery store.

I think the PR60's, 80's are glorious but don't think I should require them for basic driving. Other than the minor but major mod to the Dana 30, what is the bare minimum I need so I can drive this thing stress free?

ChaosNein

Other than the C-gussets, there is little else you can do to a D30 or even a D44 for that matter, at the end of the day, it is still a D30. You could add sleeves, but there is no guarantee that your tubes wont bend with them, just maybe in a different place. Now having said that, dont worry so much! The D30 is plenty capable for the type of wheelin you described. The C-gussets are simply added insurance against something that "could" happen, kind of like a fire extinguisher.

Have fun! Enjoy you Jeep!

jkmadness

Hello Wayalife,

Owned trucks all my life but wanted smaller.Thinking I spent 35k+ on a rigid machine with a good track record of outdoor functionality, I have to question if this money was wasted on something built for the lesser.

My concern is this, I buy an "off-road vehicle", threw on the 2.5" lift and 35's and think I'm good to go. There will be no crawling waterfalls or air time in the dunes but now I'm spending a day on the weekend welding in gussets because I hear echoes of bent C's from pot holes at the mall (maybe just fear mongering). I find it ridiculous that after 35k+ I need to spend a $100 more for gussets so I don't end up needing to upgrade the entire axle housing, ball joints and unevenly worn tires returning from the grocery store.

I think the PR60's, 80's are glorious but don't think I should require them for basic driving. Other than the minor but major mod to the Dana 30, what is the bare minimum I need so I can drive this thing stress free?

Good morning... Has been said many times that on a 30 from 35's and up all you need is gussets, I sleeved but that's just me. Not needed

Capita

Right on, thanks. Hopefully this won't be counterproductive by melting the ball joints.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Right on, thanks. Hopefully this won't be counterproductive by melting the ball joints.

If you or your welder take their time, you wont melt them. I installed my set myself, took my time like everyone says, and the joints are perfectly fine.

Top Bottom