Help me with finish ideas for new steel bumper!

So, Brown Santa dropped off our new PSC Brawler Lite front bumper yesterday and the test fit went perfectly. Now it’s time to finish it. I ordered it unfinished because I planned to do some slight modifications for a license plate mount. After looking at the backside of the bumper, I am worried about being able to get to everything for proper protection from the winter salt we deal with.

My initial idea was to have the whole bumper zinc plated and then truck-bed-line the outer parts you see. While this is still one of my favorite ideas, I can’t find a local plating shop that will take on a QTY 1 job. :grayno:

What I’m now wondering is if I’m over-thinking this (I tend to). I know there are plenty of you guys that are running steel bumpers in climates that get winter salt. What do you do to get into the inner crevasses of your steel bumpers to ensure they are around for more than a season?

As long as you have a good primer and paint on the interior you should not have a problem. Another idea is once installed you can keep the area sprayed down with a preservative. I work on Navy helicopters and we use a product called Fluid Film which is a lanolin based product to be as a corrosion prevention. Works great. Just hit with some soap and water to clean the area and re apply.

I agree with a good primer and/or sealer being sufficient, my trouble is getting it where it needs to be.

Here is a picture of the area of concern. How do I get coverage behind the mounting plate?
IMG_20131005_091221_130.jpg

Sorry for it being a little outta focus. Thje camera on my phone is jacked.

Army_Vet

Banned
I agree with a good primer and/or sealer being sufficient, my trouble is getting it where it needs to be.

Here is a picture of the area of concern. How do I get coverage behind the mounting plate?
View attachment 51545

Get it in there thick and super "runny" then roll the bumper around to get coverage; and that is the best I think your going to get. Honestly; I deal with corrosion in the Salty northeast ALL THE TIME! I think you will have 10-13 years before the back of that plate will rust through.

View attachment 51545

If you can find some fluid film you can spray it on the mounting surface and so a wet set which will provide a moisture barrier and when you wash or rinse off the wet salty slush you just hit it with more fluid film. I have used a pump 2 gallon bug sprayer to evenly distribute on the helicopter.

Top Bottom