Creaking clutch on 2012 Jeep Wrangler

DCR JEEP

I've been noticing a creaking noise from my clutch lately when depressing the pedal kinda like the noise a door makes when it needs to be lubricated. I checked the fluids and everything is topped off. I checked online with people who are having the same issues, some are saying I need a new throw out bearing or pressure plates. If so, thank god it's still under warranty 🙏. Help please!!

Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Chris@offroadevolution had an issue with his clutch but I don't recall what was wrong with it. It was a loud noise though.

CrazyLarry

I have the same noise it's kind of annoying I guess. I don't think clutches are covered under warranty though being a wear and tear item and all

RamP

It'll be the throw out bearing. Same thing happened to my Subaru. I learned to ignore it most of the time. It's hard to justify dropping the tranny to grease it.

tonywjk

It'll be the throw out bearing. Same thing happened to my Subaru. I learned to ignore it most of the time. It's hard to justify dropping the tranny to grease it.

I have an '11, do hear the throw out bearing but it doesnt bother me, after its warm it does get quieter, id wait

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have the same creaking sound as well pushing the clutch in, I think it started after being offroad the first time. Its annoying but oh well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The sound is coming from your clutch slave, as it is starting to go bad. Fortunately, it's not too expensive or difficult to replace and I would address it sooner than later. If you can't address it right away, keep an eye on your brake fluid level as your clutch slave utilizes it as well. If you let it get lower than the slave reservoir in the corner, you will lose your clutch.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
The sound is coming from your clutch slave, as it is starting to go bad. Fortunately, it's not too expensive or difficult to replace and I would address it sooner than later. If you can't address it right away, keep an eye on your brake fluid level as your clutch slave utilizes it as well. If you let it get lower than the slave reservoir in the corner, you will lose your clutch.

Just to be certain this is a spring compressing kind of creak noise correct? Cuz thats what I have which started after no time at all around like 1k miles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be certain this is a spring compressing kind of creak noise correct? Cuz thats what I have which started after no time at all around like 1k miles.

Yup, a rickety spring compressing noise when you depress the clutch. I've gone through 3 of them on my white JK in 100,000 miles and had to replace one almost as soon as I installed it. Not saying that you're is bad yet but, the creaking is an indication that it's starting to go bad.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Is that something I can do at home, or would the dealer cover it if i took it in? I swear it started after the first time I had it in water.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is that something I can do at home, or would the dealer cover it if i took it in? I swear it started after the first time I had it in water.

If you are still under warranty, your dealership should cover it. However, you can do this in your driveway. The part is really cheap and not really difficult to do. It will be a bit messy with brake fluid and slippery and that's probably the hardest part of the whole thing. I would have done a write-up on this a long time ago but getting pics down there was next to impossible. You pretty much have to do everything by feel.

DCR JEEP

Thanks. Unfortunately my jk is going to visit the dealer Wednesday cause it's still under the 3 year warranty. I've been constantly checking the fluid as well. Is there any way you could copy or send that write up? Help appreciated

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Unfortunately my jk is going to visit the dealer Wednesday cause it's still under the 3 year warranty. I've been constantly checking the fluid as well. Is there any way you could copy or send that write up? Help appreciated

Thanks

Sorry, I never did a write-up on it but it's really not that hard to replace.

DCR JEEP

Got some feedback from the dealer today after dropping the JK off in the morning. Come to find out they are replacing the clutch, flex plate, the whole 9 yards. And yes it was covered by warranty. Time to start fresh.

rich67

Caught the Bug
Just doing a search for this issue and came across this thread. 27k miles on mine, and I have the creaking noise when I depress the clutch pedal and a clacking noise when I release it. Clutch engages fine with no difference in shifting. Got an appointment with the dealer in the morning. Will keep you posted on MY outcome. :icon_crazy:

Top Bottom