Roll cage question

Smizar

Have 76 CJ5 I picked up last year and I've been trying to figure out my options for the cage it came with..It doesn't seem to fit quite right, it's like it needs to slide forward about 4 inches but it's tight against the windshield frame on the top and shims were added on the floor since the steering column was holding up at the center brace.. Could this be for a earlier model or just a poorly built cage?

image-1869306612.jpg

Smizar

I was kinda leaning in that direction.. I'm undecided on what to do with it.. For the most part I can deal with the cross brace blocking my view of the gauges but the down tubes make it hard to get into.. I've seen guys cut them at dash level and weld them to a bracket bolted to the dash but I'm not sure of how much support it would give if I did flop it over..

StrizzyChris

Have 76 CJ5 I picked up last year and I've been trying to figure out my options for the cage it came with..It doesn't seem to fit quite right, it's like it needs to slide forward about 4 inches but it's tight against the windshield frame on the top and shims were added on the floor since the steering column was holding up at the center brace.. Could this be for a earlier model or just a poorly built cage?

View attachment 2558

I think its custom. All aftermarket cages I have seen dont have an unsupported midline bend in the main vertical bar. Most have a cut and welded section for strength. I dont think you have many options for tweeking this unfortunately

Smizar

I have thought about trying to find a better fitting cage and just scrapping that one but have decided yet.. My last Cj5 had a cage that fit very nice but was a larger diameter tube.. It was also very effective when my daughter cart wheeled it 3 times going down the highway.. It only bent the corners inward about 8 inches.. Lol

Smizar

The down supports go almost all the way to the floor, there is 1/2 in thick steel plates used as shims to fill the gap.. Has anyone seen where they weld them to a bracket on the dash? I've heard there is a kit made just for that but I couldn't imagine it would be very effective, but I could be wrong..I've seen first hand what a good cage can do when set up right..

image-2540070929.jpg

Top Bottom