Stock JK Alternator Output (@ Idle)

I have tried several forum and general internet searches but never found the answer.... Does anyone know what the stock JK Alternator puts out at idle? If there is a difference in years mine is a 13'

I signed up for a parade in December where I need to run a whole bunch of lights (Christmas Lights). My plan is to run LEDs, but I will still be way over the build in inverter's output of 100W. I also would like to run a fogger at my clubs Halloween event. We take the Jeeps out on the trail and decorate them... Then the kids walk the trail to gather candy and stuff from us. I think it would be cool to have the fogger running under the Jeep. It takes 400W.

My plan for both of these events is to run a 1000W DC inverter. The Jeep will be running at or near idle. Do you think this will be an issue?

HDGasser

Your gonna have to figure out the amperage of the fogger and lights. I'm no electrician by any means!

Pretty sure they have like 140amp alternators in them.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a 1000w amp in my jku to power some subs/speakers. Hell I've got 2500w worth of amps in my silverado and it's fine.

Now if your trying to run a 1000w microwave off the battery that's a whole nother story. But I think a fogger and a few strands of Christmas lights would be ok.

Your gonna have to figure out the amperage of the fogger and lights. I'm no electrician by any means!

Pretty sure they have like 140amp alternators in them.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a 1000w amp in my jku to power some subs/speakers. Hell I've got 2500w worth of amps in my silverado and it's fine.

Now if your trying to run a 1000w microwave off the battery that's a whole nother story. But I think a fogger and a few strands of Christmas lights would be ok.

Thanks bud,

I knew the JK alternator was around a 130-140a one, but I also know that it produces much less at idle. I hadn't considered a comparison to audio amps and I'm not sure we can as their peak output is no intermittent. I would imagine a 1000W audio amp has an RMS power output around 30%. (No facts just speculation). In my case I will only need about 500W but it will be continuous.

My worst load would be 40 amps on the 12v side and I need to run it for about two hours.

JKWrang

I had a digital readout on my capacitor for my amps which consistently read around 14 at idle. Itd drop considerably to 12.6 or less when off. Idle was always 14 though.

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

Holeshot

Banned
technicaly, jk's should have a 160 amps alternator. But this reading is normally taken at like 2000rpm with a BIG load on the battery to drop the charging voltage down to 12,6v.

I'm gonna test it tomorrow on my '12.

Top Bottom