2012-Up Jeep JK PSC Steering Pump Bracket Update

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you running 37" tires or bigger, you know how difficult it can be to steer your Jeep without the help of a good ram assist. Unfortunately, for those of us who picked up an early 2012-Up JK with the new 3.6L Pentastar motor, there wasn't a whole lot available or at least, not up until a few months back. In fact, as soon as PSC had a pump and bracket available, we made sure to buy one and get it installed right away. However, soon after getting it installed, we started having issues with pulley squeaks and began to hear about more and more people shredding their serpentine belts. And, as luck would have it, we ended up shredded ours as well on our way home from Arizona a couple of weeks back.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

After talking to Mel from Off Road Evolution, I found that the original bracket for the steering pump was made out of steel and made way too flimsy. This caused the bracket to deflect and ultimately cause the problems we've been having. The good news was, PSC does have a new, bigger and beefier bracket and after making a quick call, we had one on its way to us along with a new pulley for the steering pump. Because our break fried the idler pulleys, I picked up a pair of new ones along with a new serpentine belt and here's a shot of everything.

IMG_6834.jpg

After pulling off the old power steering bracket, I decided to take a side by side shot of it next to the new bracket so that you could see just how much beefier it is.

IMG_6837.jpg

Fortunately, the swap was easy to do and so far, everything seems to be working great.

As far as my point for making this post goes, if you were an early adapter and bought one of the first 2012-Up Jeep JK Wrangler PSC power steering pumps/brackets, give them a call and ask for the updated version. Trust me, it's something you'll want. :yup:

dchew

Caught the Bug
Thanks for posting Eddie. I've got 12,000 miles on mine with the steel bracket, but I'm going to give PSC a call.

SaddleTramp

Thanks for posting Eddie, I've got a PSC Ram kit on order with a pending install at ORE, I'm assuming all new kits are shipping with the new brackets, good to hear they've addressed this.

bmwegr

2012+ PSC Reservoir/Pump kit Air Box Compatibility

@Wayolife, Thanks for the always helpful an insightful follow-ups.

I just got off the phone with Lance at PSC and he couldn’t recommend a specific air-box that would work with the reservoir that’s included with their kit (PSC-PK1858). Is Rubicat using the PSC reservoir with the AIRAID CAI intake from the AIRAID intake write-up or is their a different CAI being used?

Thanks,
Beau

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
@Wayolife, Thanks for the always helpful an insightful follow-ups.

I just got off the phone with Lance at PSC and he couldn’t recommend a specific air-box that would work with the reservoir that’s included with their kit (PSC-PK1858). Is Rubicat using the PSC reservoir with the AIRAID CAI intake from the AIRAID intake write-up or is their a different CAI being used?

Thanks,
Beau

I am still using my AIRAID but I had to do a considerable amount of cutting of the box to make it work.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the post Eddie. Do you have to take the lines apart or leave it all hocked up and not have to bleed it again.

bmwegr

AIRAID CAI Trimming pictures

I am still using my AIRAID but I had to do a considerable amount of cutting of the box to make it work.

Would you be willing to share a picture of the reservoir and trimmed CAI box from the top. Do you think the water fording capability has been affected? I understand the need for replacing the stock reservoir, but I really am going to give it a try and come up with something to retain the airbox.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
image-2232025367.jpg

As luck would have it, 5 days after reading Eddie's post I shredded my belt going through a big rock garden. Eddie can you tell me how you can tell if that pulley is damaged. Psc said they were sending the bracket and 2 pulleys. If you can tell me what else I should check or replace that would be awesome. I have a new belt and driving with the old bracket and everything seems normal.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
View attachment 53830

As luck would have it, 5 days after reading Eddie's post I shredded my belt going through a big rock garden. Eddie can you tell me how you can tell if that pulley is damaged. Psc said they were sending the bracket and 2 pulleys. If you can tell me what else I should check or replace that would be awesome. I have a new belt and driving with the old bracket and everything seems normal.

Looks like yellow jacket at Rausch. Hope you get that parts soon!

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Oh man, what a bummer!! All your pulleys should rotate pretty freely. If they don't, it could be damaged. The idler pulleys are plastic and if they look melted, they should be replaced.

Majik

FWIW, I just received my PSC ram assist kit this week and it does include the new bracket.

Also, I am considering mounting the reservoir where the stock windshield washer tank is. It is a perfect fit, and the washer reservoir is a goofy design where the clear plastic tank is just glued to a black plastic base plate (the same black piece that your ECU and ABS module mount to). My thought is that a washer tank is much less location sensitive than the PS reservoir. When you look at it and mock it up, the PSC reservoir just looks perfect in that current washer tank location. I am really considering heating the glue, removing the washer tank, and fab'ing up a new washer tank.

BTW I have the airraid intake that I believe Eddie has, and I have it sealed completely to an AEV snorkel, so I really wanted an alternative to cutting my sealed intake :)

Just my thoughts...

Last edited:

SaddleTramp

FWIW, I just received my PSC ram assist kit this week and it does include the new bracket.

Also, I am considering mounting the reservoir where the stock windshield washer tank is. It is a perfect fit, and the washer reservoir is a goofy design where the clear plastic tank is just glued to a black plastic base plate (the same black piece that your ECU and ABS module mount to). My thought is that a washer tank is much less location sensitive than the PS reservoir. When you look at it and mock it up, the PSC reservoir just looks perfect in that current washer tank location. I am really considering heating the glue, removing the washer tank, and fab'ing up a new washer tank.

BTW I have the airraid intake that I believe Eddie has, and I have it sealed completely to an AEV snorkel, so I really wanted an alternative to cutting my sealed intake :)

Just my thoughts...

Any updated Majik on the plan to mount the reservoir where the wiper tank is? I'm trying to come up with a plan to use the PSC reservoir but retain the stock air box on a 2014. Thanks

Majik

How about a pic to answer that??!
:)

I ended up fitting it gorgeously in the factory reservoir spot. Had to slightly reroute a wiring harness and move the airbag sensor a few inches. Looks like it was meant to be there. And no, my hose routing is direct and without kinks or obstruction.

That is an airraid intake and an aev snorkel btw, and no cutting was needed.

20131104_063106.jpg

20131104_063114.jpg

Majik

BTW, it ended up being alot less work than messing with that stupidly-designed washer reservoir.

bmwegr

Nice Job

BTW, it ended up being alot less work than messing with that stupidly-designed washer reservoir.

Nice job Majik. This is another great contribution to the community, however, we're all still counting on your brake research. Don't get too distracted :)

I was considering running the MORE off road dual battery tray and leaving the front battery position open for the remote reservoir. Your mock up looks great. How did you bracket/mount the reservoir?

SaddleTramp

How about a pic to answer that??!
:)

I ended up fitting it gorgeously in the factory reservoir spot. Had to slightly reroute a wiring harness and move the airbag sensor a few inches. Looks like it was meant to be there. And no, my hose routing is direct and without kinks or obstruction.

That is an airraid intake and an aev snorkel btw, and no cutting was needed.

Wow, great job, thanks for posting and providing another option, :clap2:. When you coming over to install mine, ;), I'll supply the beer!

Majik

Nice job Majik. This is another great contribution to the community, however, we're all still counting on your brake research. Don't get too distracted :)

I was considering running the MORE off road dual battery tray and leaving the front battery position open for the remote reservoir. Your mock up looks great. How did you bracket/mount the reservoir?

I put a rubber bumper on the bottom of the reservoir so it sits on one of the large body rails (behind the headlamp assembly) and a stainless band clamp (kinda like a large exhaust band clamp) that goes around the reservoir and a small post I welded in behind the headlamp assembly. It's rock solid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WOW, that came out real nice. Good job. :thumb: I wonder if that could be done with the factory air box or something like it.

Top Bottom