$50 Sway Bar Disconnects

groovebus

I installed a Teraflex 2" leveling kit in my 2013 JKU Sport. It came with long sway bar links. I just purchased the Teraflex quick disconnect bolts (Part number QD4 on their website; $50 with shipping.) for the lower part of the link. The bolt attaches to the axle. I have some notes that I would like to pass on about the install:

1. Buy 1/2" lock nuts to attach the bolt to the axle. I think they are 1/2" - 20's. Need 2. I had to buy hitch pins as retaining pins. Also, Teraflex recommended lock tight on the quick disconnect bolt threads..
2. You have to remove a bushing inside the lower part of the sway bar link to fight the quick disconnect bolt. I used a slightly larger bolt as a punch and a 10 lbs sledge hammer to slowly tap it out. It was in there pretty tight.
3. grease the bolt and the inside of the link to make it easier to slide in.

I'm going down to San Diego county near the border to hit some trails next weekend, these should make it a lot easier to get on the trails.

Attachments

• SwayBarAfter.jpg
    SwayBarAfter.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 114
  • SwayBarBefore.jpg
    SwayBarBefore.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 116
  • SwayBarParts.jpg
    SwayBarParts.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 115

JEEPnGEO

Nice Pictures. So what do you do with the link when you disconnect them? I didn't see that part. Can you post another picture?

Thanks

groovebus

I usually use 2 smaller zip ties to tie the link to the sway bar then zip tie the whole thing to the frame with 2 bigger zip ties. I'm looking for a really long velcro belt to attached it to the frame with. Teraflex actually makes a bracket that goes on your jeep to hold the links out of the way while you arn't using them. I just found out about them so I will be calling them about it this Friday when I get paid.

I don't know if these bolts will work with other links, my links came with the Teraflex 2" leveling kit and I had to push out a bushing to make the quick disconnect bolt fit. They also make a top quick diconnect bolt in case you want to just pull the whole thing off.

I got tired of laying in the dirt to wrench off the old bolts with a thousand tiny threads. Takes forever.

1yellowjk

Similar to mine, only mine cost under $10 bucks. :)

Attachments

• Step 4 be awesome.jpg
    Step 4 be awesome.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 87
  • step 3 drill center put in bolt.jpg
    step 3 drill center put in bolt.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Step 1 Pin.jpg
    Step 1 Pin.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 88

groovebus

I had seen someone else do something similar. I think I remember seeing those bolts close to where I found the hitch pins. I figured for a little more money I would get the thicker 3/4" domed, smooth bolt. The shipping was the bitch. The parts are only $30, shipping was $18 for FedEx. I have found that if you use the post office, you pay half as much and it gets to you twice as fast. And that is just regular mail service. FedEx and UPS aren't as good.

groovebus

Similar to mine, only mine cost under $10 bucks. :)[/QUO

What size clevis pin did you use; 1/2"? I tried that and it is just a hair to big. And a 7/16" seem to be really loose inside the sway bar link. Did you drill out the link bushing or sand down the pin to make it fit?

Top Bottom