Pro rock 44 with Rcv running 40's

Rubitron

What anyone's opinion with running 40's mtr's in on a pro rock 44 with Rcv shafts! When I got rock crawling I take my time and do not get to going real fast and hoping in spots unless I absolutely have to! I have been told that running a pro rock 44 with Rcv shafts have the same breaking strength as a 60! Anyone's input would be much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

The shafts may be 'as strong' as a 60, but the ring & pinion isn't. I would rather have my shafts be weaker than my r&p, easier to fix :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ttfhell

It will eventually fail. I almost went this route but after talking to Mel at ORE it was pretty cut and dry if I was to go 40's that a 60 is a must. Not a huge price difference depending on the options.

Rubitron

Yeah thanks guys!! I just needed some re assuring!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been told that running a pro rock 44 with Rcv shafts have the same breaking strength as a 60!

And exactly who told you that? RCV's are nice shafts but really, that's a stretch. If you've ever looked at the sheer size of a 60 shaft compared to a 44 shaft, there simply is no comparison. Of course, this is to say nothing about spline count, joint size and of course, as mentioned, ring and pinion size. EVEN IF the shafts were magically as strong as some like to think they are, your ring and pinion will not be and that's what you WILL end up breaking.

Rubitron

I've been told that by some guys out in Arkansas who had the exact same set up as me and he was running 40's and had me convinced that he had no problems what so ever and would have to worry bout anything braking!

pvanweelden

So, you have a pr44 already? Did you replace a rubi 44 with the pr44?

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubitron

No originally I bought the jeep as a two wheel drive because I knew I would buy after market axles already and to save the money as buying a 4 wheel drive I just save the extra to go towards the axles and etc!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been told that by some guys out in Arkansas who had the exact same set up as me and he was running 40's and had me convinced that he had no problems what so ever and would have to worry bout anything braking!

Well, if there's one thing that I've learned over the years, everyone has a different idea of what "wheeling hard" or "often" really is. And, more times than not, their idea is nowhere close to my idea. Having said that, it's not like your axle would self-destruct running this setup and, depending on what your trails are like, you might be fine for a long time. All I can say is that out here in the west and how someone like me would use it, it wouldn't last.

Rubitron

Well, if there's one thing that I've learned over the years, everyone has a different idea of what "wheeling hard" or "often" really is. And, more times than not, their idea is nowhere close to my idea. Having said that, it's not like your axle would self-destruct running this setup and, depending on what your trails are like, you might be fine for a long time. All I can say is that out here in the west and how someone like me would use it, it wouldn't last.

Oh yes trust me I've watched enough of your videos and see how hard you wheel and one day would like to go that level but more or less I have done a lot of technical courses just not something yet that has had me break anything yet with my 37's! I try to keep bouncing at a minimum and try to drive smart rather than givin her hell but if I have to I will but I'm am considering moving up to a full float 60!

Top Bottom