Heater not working!

Rubitron

So it's that time again where it's getting cold in Louisiana and my heater doesn't work?! Has anyone had any problems with this or know what I could possibly look at to be a simple fix?!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could be something as simple as an air bubble in your system. May just need to burp it out.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Not working? Hmmm, not blowing hot air, just blowing warm,cold,not at all? Little more info on exactly what its doing and what your controls are set on.

jhires

Isn't the heating system controlled by vacuum actuators?
This is a shot in the dark and I honestly don't know, I haven't looked.

But if it is, this could be caused by a vacuum leak, a vacuum hose going to an actuator, or a bad actuator.

Rubitron

Yes everything is blowing fine low to high even with the ac on and off it blows cool and all but when I turn the knob on the to the red warmer side it still blows cool air! It was working about 2 months ago idk what could be causing it not to blow hot air!!

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I just found out today I have the same problem. Going to the dealership tomorrow. They just finished working on the power window switches so I think something go knocked loose. I'll keep you posted.

seanb123

Possibly a bad thermostat if you've flushed it recently the gunk can build up and you'll have to replace it. That's a shot in the dark though

JKWrang

DO NOT GO TO THE STEALERSHIP WITH THIS PROBLEM if not under warranty. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

07sgt0720

If you have had your dash/hvac controls out make sure that when it was put back together that the little gear is put back into the rear side of the knob. This has happened to my wife's jk and a friend of mines. Simple easy fix. If it isn't inserted into the back of the knob it will not allow you to switch from cold to hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Rubitron

Thanks for the input! I'm going try all this after work!!

JKWrang

How do you know JK ?

Sorry....couldn't resist it ;)

The defroster wouldn't work on my Dakota and I never noticed since I lived on NC. Well..

A road trip back home to MA I got swept in a blizzard and long story short I was allover the road (which prompted my switch to BFG MT) and my windshield was a frozen sheet of glass. So I'm crawling through CT at insanelt slow speeds just limping home, hand out the windshield scraping a vision hole with a credit card before I get crushed by a plow....

Made it home alright with only minor damage and took my truck to the local dealership....

Let me tell you. They could hardlt figure out what was "wrong" then when I got it back they tried to con me that it was "kinda fixed" and they didn't know what happened but it "defrosts now" but it stopped heating the feet and pedals and would require a longer look. Fortunately I had a hot date and needed my truck (the date didn't work out)

Well... the extra $500 they wanted to charge me to "diagnose and solve" the heating issue was a scam... everything worked just fine. Idk why the defroster blower malfunctioned but it waa a ok. No big deal and my foot heat blower was just fine too.

Bottom line this magical mystery problem could be a number og things and the service center at the dealership will take this opportunity to bend you over if you're not wise to their tricks!

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

1yellowjk

That's funny because mine has been VERY slow to warm up on the cold mornings as well. Every Jeep I have owned has had a bad ass heater that would burn you it got so hot (well maybe not that hot)

I may take mine in and have them check it when I get the oil changed, shouldn't take 20 minutes to get hot.

Bonehead

Being for what can be a cold state, I will tell you that the all aluminum blocks in newer motors take more time to warm up when it is cold........ they are a bit too efficient at transferring heat ;) ......... though the electric fans help out a bit, since they are not on during warm up.

1yellowjk

Being for what can be a cold state, I will tell you that the all aluminum blocks in newer motors take more time to warm up when it is cold........ they are a bit too efficient at transferring heat ;) ......... though the electric fans help out a bit, since they are not on during warm up.

I guess when I say cold I should preface that with 60 degrees, which is cold for us. :)

I'm going to have the dealership check mine out.

Last edited:

Rubitron

I guess when I say cold I should reface that with 60 degrees, which is cold for us. :)

I'm going to have the dealership check mine out.

Haha yeah he is write about 60 being really cold for us!

Bonehead

60 degrees is window down driving weather :yup:

Of course temps can range from -15 or so to 100+ with high humidity depending on time of year around here.

And being it is Indiana if you don't like the weather wait 5 min it will change......

Last edited:

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Thanks for the input! I'm going try all this after work!!

If you don't have a knob prob , and u have never flushed your system( profile says you have an 08. ) your heater core could be gunked up. Especially if you have or someone else has added a different coolant than the Mopar one. Or depending on if you have added well water or not to top off the system. Always use distiller water and mopar coolant at a 50/50 mix. Your system may need to be flushed if you've never done it.

Top Bottom