Plasti-Dip: Good idea?

Jeeper Jr.

I'm going to be building an air cannon in the coming week or two and am taking the opportunity to test out Plasti-Dip. My ultimate goal is to Plasti-Dip my entire '97 Camry (the factory paint is deteriorating and a wrap/ paint job is out of the question) but I'm worried about durability. Does anyone have experience with Plasti-Dip? If so, what do you use it on and how has it held up? I figure if it can handle trail use, it can serve my daily driver.
I apologize in advance if this isn't Jeep related...:dont_tell:

P.S. - If you have pictures, please put them up.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm going to be building an air cannon in the coming week or two and am taking the opportunity to test out Plasti-Dip. My ultimate goal is to Plasti-Dip my entire '97 Camry (the factory paint is deteriorating and a wrap/ paint job is out of the question) but I'm worried about durability. Does anyone have experience with Plasti-Dip? If so, what do you use it on and how has it held up? I figure if it can handle trail use, it can serve my daily driver.

I plasti-dipped my front grill in February. As of now it has held up great! Haven't needed to touch it up at all which I am happy about. If you are doing the whole car there is a great tip video I found for doing the whole car. I will see if I can find it for you

Sent from my iPhone

JK12

I have it on my grill and it holds up well as long as nothing digs into it and peels it up. As for a whole car I heard it was hard to get an even look on the hood and top. There are YouTube videos of them spraying a car so that might help

Jeeper Jr.

Here is the how to video I was talking about. Long but very informative on how to get a very even coat across the whole car

http://youtu.be/mCb0915Kqmg

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks a ton for this.

I have it on my grill and it holds up well as long as nothing digs into it and peels it up. As for a whole car I heard it was hard to get an even look on the hood and top. There are YouTube videos of them spraying a car so that might help

I was worried about this too. Cozdude got me in the right direction.

I plasti-dipped my front grill in February. As of now it has held up great! Haven't needed to touch it up at all which I am happy about. If you are doing the whole car there is a great tip video I found for doing the whole car. I will see if I can find it for you

Sent from my iPhone
Do you have any pictures?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks a ton for this.

Do you have any pictures?

Your welcome!

I don't have a current pic of it but here is a pic of when I first did it and a few from a distance as of recent.

When it was first done
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381481383.557162.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381481399.709480.jpg

Distance shot as of recent. Still looks new
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381481444.623427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

JK12

When I did mine I put about 1 1/2 cans I put mine on thick though

You beat me to it!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I put mine on nice and thick as well. The grill on a JK takes a beating being nearly 90 degrees so a little extra padding is most welcome. After 2 years of mud, sand, salt, NJ Turnpike and pebbles, it still looked brand new. I recently took it off because Im trading the rig in, and the paint underneath is flawless.

Jeeper Jr.

Jeeper Jr.

I put mine on nice and thick as well. The grill on a JK takes a beating being nearly 90 degrees so a little extra padding is most welcome. After 2 years of mud, sand, salt, NJ Turnpike and pebbles, it still looked brand new. I recently took it off because Im trading the rig in, and the paint underneath is flawless.

Plasti-Dip is looking like a really good option. Why only the grill?

JK12

I actually thought about doing the whole jeep gun metal grey that they have but I haven't had the money or time but I think it would be cool! And it could stand up to tree brush and stuff. It would look cool

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It looks good cozdude. How much plasti-Dip did that take?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just over 1 can for 5 coats. I did the first two coats light to get a base coat then went heavy the next three

Sent from my iPhone

Jeeper Jr.

Thanks guys for the input. I think I'll move forward with Plasti-Dip. I'll put up pics when I get it done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Toxic

20130717_175617 (1280x960).jpg

I've had mine on the grill for just about a year now, made it through the winter along with the gun at the local car wash.

BearClaw

I plasti dipped my rims on my car and did like 6 very light coats on each rim till it looked good and then clear coated them and its been on there for about a year. If you dont like you can always peel it off.
-cleat coat mad it a little more glossy then then the flat color

Top Bottom