Oil at rear pinion bearings

Tumbleweed

Because of sagging issues, I've just changed the rear springs from my 3" lift to 4.5" Unlimited.
I now need some rear adjustable control arms to rotate the axle up to better align with the transfer case.
I was told that I need to be aware of the possibility that the pinion bearing might suffer from oil deprivation due to the increased angle.

Question: How much is too much angle? How do I keep the oil up at the bearings long enough? Some type of slinger & baffle combination?

Here's a pic of my angles on the stock control arms and drive shaft. Both will get changed shortly.
IMG_8922.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Who told you that? :rolleyes2:

Regarding your pinion bearings, you'll be fine as is. You only "need" to rotate your pinion to be inline with your drive shaft IF you install an aftermarket u-joint style double cardan shaft.

Tumbleweed

The shop that did my regear, lockers and PR44 told me that I might need to install a baffle after I rotate the axle. Depending on the angle it ends up.

I am planning on upgrading the DS. I will ask the DS shop if I need to rotate the axle up or not. Given what you see, does it look like I'll need a double-cardan shaft or will a plain single U-joint on each end DS work?

As always, Thanks for your time, efforts and advice.

Jerry

Top Bottom