AC Pump or ?

JethroJK

If you can please explain this:

I normally keep my fan running on low no matter what even if I don't have the AC on. Just something I have done with all vehicles I have owned. Read somewhere years ago it helps keep crap from building up through the ventilation system.

So the other day I didn't have the radio on (rare). I noticed what sounded like the AC compressor/pump kicking on and then back off as it would normally sound when the AC was on. :thinking:

So I did some trial and error and every time I shut the fan/system completely off, the noise would stop. So the on/off cycle is associated with the ventilation system.

So would the compressor/pump cycle even though the AC is not turned on inside? Kind of weird. :crazyeyes:

I believe it is. My 05 Ram 2500 does the same thing. It will keep the lubricant flowing through the system so your seals do not dry out. I know when I run my defroster on the JK I can get cold or hot air out of it. I think it is designed that way.

R/
Will

JethroJK

Interesting. Never thought it would continue to cycle. Kind of makes sense to keep the juices flowing but first vehicle to do this as far as I know.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I believe it is. My 05 Ram 2500 does the same thing. It will keep the lubricant flowing through the system so your seals do not dry out. I know when I run my defroster on the JK I can get cold or hot air out of it. I think it is designed that way.

R/
Will

X2. An auto air conditioning tech told me whatever replaced freon as a coolant has lubricating properties and will keep seals happy and pliant for a long time if you run it once in awhile in the off season.:twocents:

JethroJK

X2. An auto air conditioning tech told me whatever replaced freon as a coolant has lubricating properties and will keep seals happy and pliant for a long time if you run it once in awhile in the off season.:twocents:

Understand that but the pump kicks on and off even though I don't have the AC on just the fan.

Top Bottom