What is this!?!?!

matt08jk

I am currently installing my RockKrawler 2.5 Stock Mod System and noticed this line which coming off the axle but not connected to anything on the other end. I found it while I was checking the tension on everything as I lowered my axle down. What is it? Is it bad that it is not connected to anything? Noob question I know! :beer:
whatisthis.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep, breather tube. Since you have it pulled you may want to extend it and get it up out of harm's (water's) way.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
As stated, it's a breather for the diff. Put a worm clamp on the diff connection. Extend the front under your hood, somewhere near the master cylinder and extend the rear into the tail light cavity. Boom, no more need to worry when submerging your axles.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And while you are at it, you might as well take care of the tcase and transmission breathers. Some people like to vent the front breathers into the airbox. Personally, I'm not a fan of going that route but to each their own.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
And while you are at it, you might as well take care of the tcase and transmission breathers. Some people like to vent the front breathers into the airbox. Personally, I'm not a fan of going that route but to each their own.

I've had this discussion a couple of times, and IMHO (for autos) it's not worth it. On JKs, the transfer case and tranny breathers are basically dashboard height under the hood. IF you stick your rig in the drink deep enough to cause issues with those two breathers, you are going to fry all the electronics in your Jeep, and you rig will be a total loss, so essentially, it seems like a pointless exercise moving those two breathers. Just my opinion of course.

matt08jk

I think for now Im going to extend the axle breather lines. I'll look at the others...man, just shows you there is a TON to learn.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've had this discussion a couple of times, and IMHO (for autos) it's not worth it. On JKs, the transfer case and tranny breathers are basically dashboard height under the hood. IF you stick your rig in the drink deep enough to cause issues with those two breathers, you are going to fry all the electronics in your Jeep, and you rig will be a total loss, so essentially, it seems like a pointless exercise moving those two breathers. Just my opinion of course.

That's a fair point.

Edit: For some reason I recall mine were pretty low in the engine bay, meaning that I could have put them in the water if I went off a bank into water (the sustained height wouldn't have been enough with all four wheels in water to cause issues, but dipping in front end first might have.) Either way, its a fair point. I would check to see where they terminate on my particular vehicle and then make the decision. No sense doing extra work if its not needed.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That's a fair point.

Oddly enough, the JK, as rugged and as "wild" as it "appears" is actually more complicated computer wise than the average Honda. The days of submerging the entire rig except the snorkel tip are gone unfortunately. Would have been nice if Chrysler used Marine/sealed electronics in the wrangler, but the truth is, it's the same stuff used in all their other cars, so water is still going to kill em.

Top Bottom