3.5" Lift and Tires

ctlazer5

I am looking into moving up from my 2.5"inch teraflex BB. I am currently running that with the rubicon shocks. I was just wondering what all of your opinions were on the best 3.5" lift. I do mild off-roading so I wouldn't need anything extreme. Just want to know what is the best quality for the price. Also what size tires would you run. I was thinking 35s but didn't know if there is anything in particular. Also if i go 35 inch tire, should I get a heavier duty spare tire carrier? Please give all the advice and knowledge you guys can offer. I am sure it is much more than I can think of. Thanks guys.

You can run 35's on a 2.5 BB with flat fenders. I believe if you go higher than 3 inches on a lift you will need driveshafts. You would be OK to run the stock shafts unitl the boot rips and then you will need to replace.

I have a 2.5 BB from Pro-Comp and will be putting 35's on my JK and cutting my fenders down. It will be the cheapest mod done. Wait nope need to buy some toys to use. My dremel is toast.

R/
Will

Spartan

I ran 35in KM2's with the 2.5 Teraflex BB with shock extensions, and stock Rubicon shocks and Bushwhacker flat fended for years including several trips to Moab with no problems.

I plan on getting the EVO enforcer this spring. Not because anything is wrong with the TF 2.5 BB, but because I would like a little extra flex for when I run the Rubicon, and because I extra flex would be good for some of the Moab trails that I haven't run yet. Not sure if I'm going to stay with 35's or go to 37's, but the EVO Enforcer with fit either.

Webe

I'm running stock suspension with the flat fenders and did a little trimming on the rear seam on the back fender wells. With that I clear my 35s. I went with the XRC rear bumper w/ spare tire carrier. :twocents:

RamP

If your convinced you would like to get a full suspension lift look into either the Evo Enforcer or the Clayton short arm ultimate. It comes with 8 adjustable arms and everything else you would need lift wise. You will have to get a new front driveshaft and if you're running 35's, a tire carrier as well. Stock tailgates have been known to fail with any tire larger than a 33".

CerOf

Best quality for the price? Lift kits and an answer to your question is quite subjective.

NUMBER 1 rule: get extremely honest with yourself, your TRUE needs and motives. How often are you/plan to be, in the dirt vs pavement?

Needs may include your desire for a particular "look" or your desire for it to simple perform amazing well on-road or off with no care or great care for its looks, or a combination of all the above!!

My number two rule:
Set a budget, add 20% for unexpected parts you may end up needing, then STICK to it.

After YOU figure out the above two answers, then come back here with the answers and state your question with the given parameters.

Otherwise, you'll get a lot of opinions that differ. And we know what opinions are like, right? :D

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

ctlazer5

I'm debating between the teraflex heavy duty hinged tire carrier if get 35s or getting the xrc rear bumper with tire carrier mount on it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking into moving up from my 2.5"inch teraflex BB. I am currently running that with the rubicon shocks. I was just wondering what all of your opinions were on the best 3.5" lift. I do mild off-roading so I wouldn't need anything extreme. Just want to know what is the best quality for the price...

As mentioned, if all you're hoping to do is run 35" tires, trim your fenders or install a set of flat fenders and call it a day. Unless you're just looking to have a tall lift for looks sake alone, keeping your ride lower is the way to go. Not only will it be WAY CHEAPER to do, it'll also help keep your center of gravity down and that's something you want when wheeling. IF you go 3.5" of lift, you need to make sure that you budget in the cost of a front drive shaft. Even IF you address the problems you will have with the exhaust cross over, you will still have problems with your CV boot failing prematurely.

...Also what size tires would you run. I was thinking 35s but didn't know if there is anything in particular. Also if i go 35 inch tire, should I get a heavier duty spare tire carrier? Please give all the advice and knowledge you guys can offer. I am sure it is much more than I can think of. Thanks guys...

I'm debating between the teraflex heavy duty hinged tire carrier if get 35s or getting the xrc rear bumper with tire carrier mount on it.

DON'T waste your money on a TeraFlex hinge tire carrier. In spite of what they will try to sell you on, the factory hinges and carrier are PLENTY STRONG and do not need to be replaced. Trust me, I have carried a 35" spare without any problems and know of others who have carried a super heavy 37 with a super heavy ATX bead lock wheel without any problems. The think you just need to make sure is that the sidewall presses firmly up against the rubber isolators on the tail gate. This will prevent jiggling and that is the route cause of breaks. You should also be aware of this:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break&highlight=teraflex+break

Having said all that, there are BIG benefits to removing your spare off your tailgate. The biggest of which is that if you catch a ledge on the trail, you can do serious damage to the tailgate or your hard top glass. Trust me, I see it happen all the time.

suicideking

I was running an RK 2.5" lift and 35's for a while. It only rubbed the stock fenders when disconnected an wheeling. I added flat fenders and eventually replaced the 2.5" RK springs with 4" Evo. I did the 4" because I will eventually get 37's. For 35's and not much hard wheeling, 2.5" is plenty.

Top Bottom