Vibration after Body Armor Rack

somguyss

I have a 2012 JKU with 4" lift and 35's there us no tire vibration or steering wobble.
I have very strange never had vibration before roof rack, after installing roof rack I got this strange vibration around 40 mph to 45 or 50 then goes away. The vibration seems to be coming from like under floorboard on both sides. It isn't a driveline vibration, I have an associate that has a 4wheel chassis dyno and we ran on it and no vibration or anything.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to drain and fab a deflector for between windshield header and roof rack to see if that will help.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sounds like you've isolated the problem. Maybe find someone with a Yakima/Thule rack fairing and borrow it to see if it helps before you start making parts?

David1tontj

If it truly was when the roof rack got installed, then I can't think of anything other than wind getting under it, but that just seems weird!! Let us know if your deflector works! Did you have the front end turning while on the dyno? If you can positively rule out the Drive lines, then wind resistance is the only thing that makes seance to me. Possibly someone else has had this same problem and can chime in. Good luck!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

somguyss

Turned front wheels a little off axis from center when on dyno and the results where the same. Going to fab up a deflector and see if it helps. Guess I'll be heading to metal distributor then into metal shop to bend one up, believe I'm going to shoot for aluminum.

BadApple

I had the same problem. Wrench down the bolts on the front by the mirror made it go away on mine.

Sent from a little JK!!

somguyss

I will try wrenching down in the mounting hardware some more, I'm also going to replace the cushion that comes with the minting brackets as well.

I had the same thing when I put a lumber rack on my 1500. It was the wind vibrating the metal. I solved it by strapping lumber to it. Might try the air dam.

Morbidmonty

Question is anyone else that has body armor roof rack experiencing it coming loose and rattling after longer trips? Wondering about locktite or possible some rubber washers?

Top Bottom