2door to 4door

DKronk42

So, i absolutely love my 2 door JK! However i know ill eventually be trading up from a sport to a rubicon, im just curious how worth it the 4 door is, who has made this transition? Thoughts?

Wish I had gotten the 4dr, sucks having to take a small utility trailer along to go camping.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

DKronk42

Yeah, thats what ive discovered haha, i camp alot, just not enough room, ive been thinking about installing a safari rack

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think you guys need to pack better. I can pack for a week camping and still have room to spare. That being said, when this one is paid off I will be adding a four door to the collection.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, i absolutely love my 2 door JK! However i know ill eventually be trading up from a sport to a rubicon, im just curious how worth it the 4 door is, who has made this transition? Thoughts?

Talking to a guy who's owned both, I would have to say 4-door all the way. The 2-door is great but, there's a reason why I own two 4-doors. Not only are they every bit as capable, they often times have the advantage especially in places like Moab.

jhires

My wife and I have both. Her Jeep is the 2 door, and mine is the 4 door. They are very different from each other when driving.

On the street, the two door is much more nimble and easier to park. Turning around and U-Turns are definitely a plus of the 2 door. On the trail, turning around and navigating tight trails, going around trees and rocks there is less worry of body damage. It generally feels much lighter and "zippy". However, cargo space is at a premium. With just the two of us and our dog, once we have all of our gear in place just for even a day trip, it can feel quite crowded and if you are bringing a 3rd or 4th person along, they will be very cramped in the back seat, and you have no space left for anything else.

The 4 door rides much smoother. It doesn't pitch back and forth as much on uneven freeways. The added wheel base adds stability on the trail. When you have to climb over a bank or "lip" it is easier to get the front over first. Although the break over clearance does suffer quite a bit. We can fit all of our camping gear in it and still have room for our dog and a passenger. Turning around on the trail is a bit of a chore. A two point turn is now a 20 point turn.

It really boils down to the fact that the 2 door suits her best and the 4 door suits me best. When we do hit the trail, we usually have both.
WP_20130809_001.jpg

StrizzyChris

I've had 2-2drs and 2-4drs...if its a DD and I plan on camping with my lady(which has drastically changed my volume of shit on a trip) then a 4dr is the only option. But, once I buy my home in the next year or two, I'll be doing a custom stretch 2dr similar to rtguy1 as a hobby Jeep. Built 2drs are just awesome!

Brezmom

My hubby and I have both. Mine is the 4 door family jeep and his is the go cart. Both rock! But both have the same engine so we load up mine and it goes a lot slower...nice part is the seats go flat and the two of us can sleep in the back.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381759374.045613.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381759450.701554.jpg

Panda

My wife and I have both. Her Jeep is the 2 door, and mine is the 4 door. They are very different from each other when driving.

On the street, the two door is much more nimble and easier to park. Turning around and U-Turns are definitely a plus of the 2 door. On the trail, turning around and navigating tight trails, going around trees and rocks there is less worry of body damage. It generally feels much lighter and "zippy". However, cargo space is at a premium. With just the two of us and our dog, once we have all of our gear in place just for even a day trip, it can feel quite crowded and if you are bringing a 3rd or 4th person along, they will be very cramped in the back seat, and you have no space left for anything else.

The 4 door rides much smoother. It doesn't pitch back and forth as much on uneven freeways. The added wheel base adds stability on the trail. When you have to climb over a bank or "lip" it is easier to get the front over first. Although the break over clearance does suffer quite a bit. We can fit all of our camping gear in it and still have room for our dog and a passenger. Turning around on the trail is a bit of a chore. A two point turn is now a 20 point turn.

It really boils down to the fact that the 2 door suits her best and the 4 door lsuits me best. When we do hit the trail, we usually have both.
View attachment 52612

Yup what jhires said, I have a 2dr my girlfriend has a jku, love all the space she has but mines more zippy & fun to drive I think.. now I just put the camping gear in hers :D

Top Bottom