Gascap dummy light

I have one of the billet locking gascaps, had it for a couple years now. Once in awhile a get the dummy light that thinks my cap is not there. Most of the time it goes out and I dont see the light again for a month or so. This time it isnt going away. I dont see any sort of switch or sensor in the area of the cap or any visible wires for one. How do I make the light go away? Since CA is so anal on their smog rules, I dont want a fault to keep it from passing smog next month.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

somguyss

Light will have to be turned off either by a dealer or garage, it sounds as if the seal on your gas cap is leaking slightly when the evap system is doing a check or pressurizing and it fails and sets the light.

Bought a new cap just now its still doing it. Clown at the parts house says the issue is not the cap at all. I'm thinking pinhole in a hose or fuel pump gasket ? :confused:

Army_Vet

Banned
Bought a new cap just now its still doing it. Clown at the parts house says the issue is not the cap at all. I'm thinking pinhole in a hose or fuel pump gasket ? :confused:

Have it reset first before you search elsewhere.... unless you had your fuel pump removed in the past, i would not start there. I would go with the evap can myself

Is this a reset that I can do? Whether by battery disconnect or programmer? I have a dealership phobia:D

Army_Vet

Banned
Is this a reset that I can do? Whether by battery disconnect or programmer? I have a dealership phobia:D

Any code reader should be able to do it... I dont know if disconnecting the batt will do it.... It may.... The Jack wagons at Autozone should be able to do it

JKWrang

IDK if this applies to you, but i threw engine trouble codes frequently on the Dakota related to the EVAP system.

The EVAP canister went several times, new ones installed, etc... The leak detection pump would never shut off until I got this fixed, which since it was running constantly, I needed to replace THAT too. :doh:

So, check your vaccuum lines too. Yknow, just in case.

Briguy114

I had a similar issue and replaced my leak detection pump. Got it from rockauto.com PN 4B1591. Worked like a charm. Been a little over a year since I replaced it and no light. Might be something you want to try

Any code reader should be able to do it... I dont know if disconnecting the batt will do it.... It may.... The Jack wagons at Autozone should be able to do it

Jack wagons? That's too nice a name,lol. I think I can do it with my tuner, I'm pretty sure I can clear codes with it, otherwise it's off to see the "jack wagons" lmao

Raceplayhavefun

I hope you have better luck than I at turning that light off! I have several code readers at my disposable, including a snap on modis and none of the will turn that darn gas cap code off. Even if tg CEL comes on and you clear that code the gas cap lift won't go out. Unhooking the battery will clear it though! :-D

In my case I was getting the gascap code because the exhaust runs right next to the evap canister and actually melted a hole in it.

Used my tuner to clear codes, but as was just stated, the msg didn't go away. There were 2 codes. One said small leak in evap system and the other said total evap failure ( this one is likely why the chk eng light came on). All codes are cleared but the gas cap msg remains. Am I correct in reading that disconnecting the battery will clear the msg ?

It worked. Will go for a ride and see for sure ( any excuse to take the Jeep for a cruise:D )

JKWrang

Make sure you get that bad boy replaced if need be before too long.

Your Leak Detection Pump can only handle being on for so long, as I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Assuming the JK has one.

Make sure you get that bad boy replaced if need be before too long.

Your Leak Detection Pump can only handle being on for so long, as I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Assuming the JK has one.

I'm honestly not sure what caused it to act up in the first place unless it was the gascap itself. I bought a new one today but it isnt a locking one. Gasket is identical so I'll swap the gasket. Guy at the parts house also mentioned that theres a possibility that the keyhole itself could be a leak, never heard of or thought of that one:confused:

JKWrang

Could be pure coincidence on the gas cap. Any vacuum leak will throw codes like that especially around the EVAP. Something as stupid as driving with high revs once too many times can do it.

The upside is your Jeep is fine :) its just a BS emissions scam.

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

Realistically, there was some good things that came from this issue. I had never updated my tuner online, so after doing so and reprogramming my ECM the spark knock that has been driving me nuts is finally gone:thumbup: also happened to notice that my steering box was loose,never a good thing.

Top Bottom