Drive Shaft upgrade.

DLowe27

Im looking at upgrading my drive shafts just not sure who or what to go with. I ordered a prorock 44 front and rear. As for drive shafts Im not sure who to go with. I heard some good things about Tom Woods but nothing to much. Any help wood be great!

turbineguy

Check out your local shops as well. In Boise we have a driveline shop that makes their own. The shop is very highly rated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, with the exception of how well it's balanced and the components used, a drive shaft is pretty much a drive shaft and guys will always recommend whatever it is they chose to buy. Me, I have run a myriad of shafts but prefer to run JE Reel because they have always come to me well balanced and come STANDARD with made in the USA Neapco u-joints. I have run Coast as well and like them too as they come Spicer u-joints. I typically recommend AGAINST Tom Woods shafts as they come standard with cheap Chinese u-joints that I have seen fail on the trail time and time again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When changing your drive shafts, do you need to change the points that the new shafts bolt to?

It depends on the shaft you get. Some are made so that you can bolt them up to the factory flanges and some by utilizing adapters to make it work. I have tried these in the past and do not recommend them. For one, the adapters tend to be big enough that they will make contact with your gastank skid plate when articulating. Also, with or without an adapter, the factory flange setups tend to stick out too far and that causes your drive shaft to sit at a steeper angle. Because of this, you're more likely to have driveline vibrations than not. Replacing your factory output shaft and pinion flanges with yokes will do a much better job of addressing these issues and even if you get a replacement flange, it'll be shorter and be much stronger than factory.

bl17z90

It depends on the shaft you get. Some are made so that you can bolt them up to the factory flanges and some by utilizing adapters to make it work. I have tried these in the past and do not recommend them. For one, the adapters tend to be big enough that they will make contact with your gastank skid plate when articulating. Also, with or without an adapter, the factory flange setups tend to stick out too far and that causes your drive shaft to sit at a steeper angle. Because of this, you're more likely to have driveline vibrations than not. Replacing your factory output shaft and pinion flanges with yokes will do a much better job of addressing these issues and even if you get a replacement flange, it'll be shorter and be much stronger than factory.

So for a JE Reel 1350 for example would installing a set of yokes be needed or can they be used with the factory setup?

I know yokes would be better I'm just trying to figure out what parts I will need when I start peicing together my next lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So for a JE Reel 1350 for example would installing a set of yokes be needed or can they be used with the factory setup?

I know yokes would be better I'm just trying to figure out what parts I will need when I start peicing together my next lift.

Actually, JE Reel makes/sells replacement flanges for their 1350.

DLowe27

Yea I wanted to go with a local shop but in Hawaii stuff is limited. Also I will check JE reel driveshafts. When I install new lift whenever it gets to island will the drivwshafts need to be done then also (4.5" long arm)

HLKSMSH

Yea I wanted to go with a local shop but in Hawaii stuff is limited. Also I will check JE reel driveshafts. When I install new lift whenever it gets to island will the drivwshafts need to be done then also (4.5" long arm)

What Island are you on I am on Oahu Most of the guys I know and myself are running Adams DS the guy gives a military discount and really fast on shipping.

Top Bottom