Pitted windshield...need advice...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Long story, but the short version is I had to drive through a nasty sand storm yesterday. Biblically nasty as in I was expecting frogs to start falling from the sky. :)

Unfortunately the sand did a number on the jeep. It essentially sandblasted the paint of my c gussets.

image-3068169594.jpg

And my windshield is wrecked. Here is a shot from this morning facing the sun.

image-2114485223.jpg

Rattle can will take care of the missing paint. But does anyone know of a product that can take the pits out? Or do I have to get a new windshield?

Thanks!

DA RUNT

That's horrible. I drove through a sand storm like that in AZ a few years back and was told it needed to be replaced. Luckily at the time my insurance covered windshield damage and it was at no cost to me. I tried searching for windshield repair but couldn't find anything. Sorry :idontknow:

07rub

I ad a similar issus on mine and i used the rain-x cleaner then i used the original it helped a lot, and a friend told me that some good wax could fill in the holes to make it better

StrizzyChris

I ad a similar issus on mine and i used the rain-x cleaner then i used the original it helped a lot, and a friend told me that some good wax could fill in the holes to make it better

a lot of sand storms in Ontario eh? :cheesy: <pardon my pre-school, self-indulging humor>

LoPo

Caught the Bug
hrmm... if you can't get the pits cleaned up to your satisfaction, head to Fast Glass on Greg St. They replaced mine at a beyond reasonable price. In fact, my Jeep is going back to get another windshield in the very near future. I too, hit a major sand storm when I was driving it back from Off Road Evolution back in November and took a rock about the size of a marble off the windshield which created a crack across my entire glass.

DA RUNT

Hey MTG, sorry to get off topic but on my phone your icon looks like your driving over a giant butt crack Lmao

MTG

Caught the Bug
Pretty sure it's toast. Just tried some cleaner with a razor blade and even steel wool to no avail. There are literally thousands of tiny little cracks/chips in it.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Smizar said:
I thought it was cleavage... Lol

LOL! I think you are wrong and here is why...it's actually Sharkey driving and me taking the photo. If I was standing on a set of boobs that big, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed. ;)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
MTG said:
LOL! I think you are wrong and here is why...it's actually Sharkey driving and me taking the photo. If I was standing on a set of boobs that big, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed. ;)

And I would have been "motorboating", not driving.

I'll be getting new windshield soon so I'll let you know how much it costs here in Reno.

MTG

Caught the Bug
On previous cars it's been $0 or minimal deductible. I'm just a little bummed about losing the little vinyl jeep in the corner.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
MTG said:
On previous cars it's been $0 or minimal deductible. I'm just a little bummed about losing the little vinyl jeep in the corner.

Yep and the grill in the middle. You can buff glass, It might take it out

TX_JK

I have to ask...since this sand storm did this kind of damage to your C gussets and your windshield what does the paint on the front grill and front edge of the hood look like? Yikes!!!! :icon_crazy:

MTG

Caught the Bug
TX_JK said:
I have to ask...since this sand storm did this kind of damage to your C gussets and your windshield what does the paint on the front grill and front edge of the hood look like? Yikes!!!! :icon_crazy:

The paint is surprisingly fine. From what I've read the glass is much softer than the paint (other than the spray paint I used one the c's).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
a little late to the party but wow, that sucks. :icon_crazy:

nothing worse that a pitted windshield. forutnately or unfortunately, i get a stone to crack my windshields often enough that i just get to replace them before they get too bad.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Since moving to Colorado in February I have gone thru 3 windshields. Insurance doesn't cover them here in Colorado at 100%. It cost me $100 each time I change them. I have two cracks in it now and just said $&%^ it.

DA RUNT

Luckily there's no sand storms here, but we have tons of construction going on and everyday I manage to get behind the guy hauling away rocks and dirt. :eek:

Top Bottom