Sway Bar Mount problem after lift

Wizard

I've recently fitted a 4 1/2" suspension lift to my jeep, which included swaybar relocations brackets on the front, as well as new swaybar links (8 1/2" eye to eye) to suit. This is how the sway bar arms sit on flat ground.

Swaybar003_zps1c8034b7.jpg

I'm now having trouble with the swaybar mounting bracket bending (even breaking), as in the pictures below.

WatagansTurpentine037_zpse8ab6d83.jpg

WatagansTurpentine046_zps722aa278.jpg

I fabricated a new bracket myself this time, using 9 mm rather than the 6 mm plate that the bought one was made out of.

Swaybarlinkmount001_zpsa3162799.jpg

Swaybarlinkmount002_zps37b01303.jpg

It now looks like this new thicker bracket is very slightly bent as well.

I did notice before the last bracket broke off completely, that sometimes the bracket would be bent, and other times it would be straight again, so it was bending back and forth, which is obviously why it ended up snapping off.

I suspect this is happening under normal driving condition when the swaybar isn't disconnected, rather than when offroading when the swaybar is disconnected.

I've even ground the end of the protruding round cross member to make sure the sway bar isn't catching on this.

Any quick suggestions why this might be happening?

Bonehead

A bit interesting that the kit included both relocation brackets and longer links , I would think it would be one or the other:idontknow:

IMO the reason it is happening is because with both the relocation brackets and longer links they are too long.

If it was me I would get rid of the relocation brackets, and get a set of adjustable links that can be set the length your lift needs;)

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A bit interesting that the kit included both relocation brackets and longer links , I would think it would be one or the other:idontknow:

IMO the reason it is happening is because with both the relocation brackets and longer links they are too long.

If it was me I would get rid of the relocation brackets, and get a set of adjustable links that can be set the length your lift needs;)

X2 on ditching the relocation brackets and getting adjustable links. The factory spot the links connect to is plenty strong. It also seems that the relocation bracket moved the link closer out to the wheel which would cause all the extra stress and cause it to bend and flex like it did.

Sent from my iPhone

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There is no way 8.5" links are enough. I run my adjustable links at 12.5 inches now and I am at 4-4.5" lift.

Wizard

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, this was just the sort of advice I was seeking. Appreciate all the help.

There is no way 8.5" links are enough. I run my adjustable links at 12.5 inches now and I am at 4-4.5" lift.

Do the arms on your swaybar sit flat or slightly up or down?

X2 on ditching the relocation brackets and getting adjustable links. The factory spot the links connect to is plenty strong. It also seems that the relocation bracket moved the link closer out to the wheel which would cause all the extra stress and cause it to bend and flex like it did.
Sent from my iPhone

Dude, the relocation brackets actually moved the mounting point towards the middle of the vehicle, and about 1 1/2" higher. I'm not sure why it gets moved in rather than just up. I do like the idea of adjustable links though, so might look out for a set.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Dude, the relocation brackets actually moved the mounting point towards the middle of the vehicle, and about 1 1/2" higher. I'm not sure why it gets moved in rather than just up. I do like the idea of adjustable links though, so might look out for a set.

ahh ok didnt know they moved them toward the middle of the jeep. it was a strick guess on my part.

yes a set of adjustable links are very useful as you can hold onto them for a long time.

Wizard

Thanks for your help so far OJK. I've just measured the relocation brackets, and they set the swaybar roughly 2 1/2" higher than the standard mount, so this with the length of my links brings me to 11", and comparing your swaybar to mine, I see that yours sits a bit higher than mine on the arms.

I took a couple of photos this morning to look at. Please remember that this is a RHD JK, so things will be a bit back to front to what you are used to.

This is the side with the mount which gets bent.

FrontSuspension003_zpsa9617338.jpg

Other side.

FrontSuspension005_zps208eaeee.jpg

rinkishjk

Don't think I need to say it also, but ditch those brackets. Get the correct length adjustable links and use the stock mount. :beer:
Wow I was just so confused as to why your trackbar mount was on the driver side till I realized. :cool::what:

Last edited:
Top Bottom