Exhaust Systems, Stainless Steal or Aluminum?

:thinking: Need a little help here, I'm looking to pick up an exhaust system for the JK and was wondering what's the difference between Stainless and Aluminum? I figured the Aluminum is lighter and rust resistant, but is that it?

Thanks,:beer:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
:thinking: Need a little help here, I'm looking to pick up an exhaust system for the JK and was wondering what's the difference between Stainless and Aluminum? I figured the Aluminum is lighter and rust resistant, but is that it?

Thanks,:beer:

Where did you see an aluminum exhaust? Some of my sports cars had aluminIZED exhausts (basically steel coated with aluminum to inhibit rust) but I haven't seen an aluminum exhaust.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Where did you see an aluminum exhaust? Some of my sports cars had aluminIZED exhausts (basically steel coated with aluminum to inhibit rust) but I haven't seen an aluminum exhaust.

That's what I was thinking. Not sure I've seen a JK exhaust in aluminum. :idontknow:

JKWrang

The pipes are already 2.5" stainless on a JK so like was said above no need to get a full system INSOFAR as enhanced flow is concerned.

The aluminized coating is not fool proof and can wear down and expose the metal to rust but like anything underneath a little preventative maintenance will go a long way.

Stainless steel costs more upfront and you can practically install and forget it.

Aluminized coating is cheaper up front and I painted mine on my JK RHD with some rustoleum hight heat grill flat black and that actually held up very well even through a rough Massachusetts winter.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Top Bottom