Use a 35" spare with 37"s???

mrmike

I am waiting for my LOD bumper/carrier to arrive and currently have my 35" spare on a Teraflex carrier meantime. Yesterday I switched to 37s and I am wondering if I could get away with using the 35" spare in an pinch. I would have to leave the diff's unlocked obviously but would it get me home? I rather not attempt putting the 37 on the Teraflex as I only have the stock bracket mounted on the HD hinge.

FYI my plan is go back to my 35s (they are on a separate set of wheels) for DD post two weekends of wheeling. I figure it will be less wear on the JK for my typical use and its nice and low for kids to hop in. I'd probably use the 35s for overlanding too.

1yellowjk

to get you off the trail and home you would be fine...I see people running 60mph with those damn donut spares...I think you'll be fine. :)

Army_Vet

Banned
I am waiting for my LOD bumper/carrier to arrive and currently have my 35" spare on a Teraflex carrier meantime. Yesterday I switched to 37s and I am wondering if I could get away with using the 35" spare in an pinch. I would have to leave the diff's unlocked obviously but would it get me home? I rather not attempt putting the 37 on the Teraflex as I only have the stock bracket mounted on the HD hinge.

FYI my plan is go back to my 35s (they are on a separate set of wheels) for DD post two weekends of wheeling. I figure it will be less wear on the JK for my typical use and its nice and low for kids to hop in. I'd probably use the 35s for overlanding too.

Your traction control may go haywire..... because it will think one tire is spinning faster than the other..... like previous said... it will be ok in a pinch for the short term fix, but not a good solution

mrmike

I didn't think about that. That thing goes crazy even when my alignment get wrecked I the trail. Had to do the wheel dance do disable so I couldn't get home.

suicideking

Your traction control may go haywire..... because it will think one tire is spinning faster than the other..... like previous said... it will be ok in a pinch for the short term fix, but not a good solution

Agree about the traction control. I did the same thing when I got 35's -- I kept 33" spare. There was a defect in one of the 35" tires and it went flat the morning after I got it (defective sidewall). So I had gotten them from Sears and had they had to order the spare. I had to drive like that for a week and the traction control was going nuts. It would kick in on the freeway the most. Kinda scary because it would slow me down to 40 mph. You can disable it though.

With the 33" it also handled really strange. But you can do it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
As long as you don't have LSD, you will be fine. If you do have LSD, and your rear tire is flat, you will need to move a good tire from the front to the rear, and run the spare on the front. If you have 2 LSDs, then you will most likely damage/destroy it, but if its a matter of getting home or not, such is life. If you have lockers/open diffs, you will be fine, just run in 4lo so that traction control is disabled...if you need to run 4hi/2hi, pull the ESP fuses.

mrmike

Thanks for all the tips. It's a Rubicon so lockers.

I didn't know you can pull the ESP fuse. That is really good to know. Are there any side effect of doing that?

Top Bottom