2013 JKUR manual - Cruise and ESP issues?

davantalus

Am I the only one experiencing these bugs/features?
  1. Cruise: I'll be cruising along a nice boring flat/straight/level freeway at 79mph and cruise will suddenly disengage for no reason. Thoughts? It sure wakes you up!
  2. Traction Control: I've been able to kick in the ESP/TC protection doing two things I thought seemed sane in dry conditions...
    • Tight right at 15-20mph into a steep uphill downtown LA
    • That *wavy* bridge on I-14 north just before Sand Canyon Rd leaving LA. Reproducible at ~70-80mph. (34.414358°, -118.444235°)
With both issues, I almost feel like the Jeep is creating more of an unsafe situation than its protecting me from when it kills the power. Anyone just turn it off for normal dry conditions?

JKWrang

I can't answer

But the guys who can would need more info like:

Lift size?
Tire size?
Procal used (or flashcal or equivalent?)
Etc.

:yup:

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Tigrcky

yeah JKWrang is right here you will need to provide more info but it does sound like its either a bad flash (if you did flash the computer) or acting up WSS.

Tigrcky

255/75-r17 Totally stock. No lift, no calibrations.

take it to the nearest dealership have them run a scan tool on it, it should be covered under the warranty and have them fix it if not have a mopar approved shop look into it, as i listed above possible wheel speed sensor issue and or possible bad computer(ASE certified tech if you were wondering :) )
best of luck!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is your steering wheel dead centered? I know you said that you don't have a lift but, if your tie rod is bent a little from wheeling, your steering will be off. If it is, conditions as you have noted can cause enough of a difference that your computer will think you are in a slide and respond accordingly. This can also effect your cruise control as they are guided by your speed sensors.

I have hit a few pot-holes that kicked the ESC in and in-turn kicked the cruise off. But never anything like what you are describing. WOL's suggestion is good. If there is nothing visually wrong I would head back to the dealer pronto.

Is your steering wheel dead centered? I know you said that you don't have a lift but, if your tie rod is bent a little from wheeling, your steering will be off. If it is, conditions as you have noted can cause enough of a difference that your computer will think you are in a slide and respond accordingly. This can also effect your cruise control as they are guided by your speed sensors.

We are having these same issues because of a bent tie rod and slightly off alignment. Because the traction control has been triggered nothing else works properly. We clear the code works fine until it comes back on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We are having these same issues because of a bent tie rod and slightly off alignment. Because the traction control has been triggered nothing else works properly. We clear the code works fine until it comes back on.

Have you recentered your steering wheel? If not, you need to do that.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My tie rod is really bent and I had the cruise set for 3 hours yesterday no problem. If your steering wheel is centered you shouldn't have any issues.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I haven't had and ESP/TC issues, however I have experienced the cruise control issue. I can set my CC to 0-83mph with out issue but once I set it to 85 mph it will cruise for a random amount of time. I have had it set there for hours and sometimes will disengage in a couple of minutes.(2013 JKUR manual). I had similar issues with the 2011 JKU auto I used to drive. Once set above 75mph the CC would disengage as well at random . I should add that I experience this as well at lower speeds when hit with a large wind gust on the highway, so think it may be some sort of safety feature. When driving at such a high rate of speed any small gust or swerve will cause my CC to disengage. I never thought it was a problem so I've never thought much about it.

Tigrcky

Me thinks eddie is on to something here, i wonder if he stayed at a holiday inn express last night :thinking: :cheesy:. but in all seriousness check the steering linkage and see if your wheel is centered, and it wouldnt hurt to have it checked for soft codes in the computer and have the stealership give it a once over

CerOf

If my rig can't maintain the speed at which cruise control is set, it kicks off.

Same thing with a few other other vehicles I've had. Mainly see going up long hills, etc.

I still vote with the others that you have something going on.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Top Bottom