On road tire psi

Lagavulin

I have a tj and was recently told that I shouldn't run 35 psi in my tires (recommended on tire) and that I should run a little lower. Just curious to see what everyone else runs. I have 33" tires.

JK-JOHN-E

If you check the wheel & tire section of the forum, I believe Eddie says 28-30 psi. The heading is, every question a newbie could have, or something similar to that. :standing wave:

I have a tj and was recently told that I shouldn't run 35 psi in my tires (recommended on tire) and that I should run a little lower. Just curious to see what everyone else runs. I have 33" tires.

I ran 35-38psi with stock wheels, 28psi on my 35's and 25psi on my 40's. I believe it's more personal preference and you should just try a few different ones out...but I am no pro at this lol

Lagavulin

I completely forgot the forum owners name was Eddie. I'll mess around with psi A little and see what I like.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I run my 35's at 30 and I did the same with my 32's. It's a more even wear and a little smoother ride

Sent from my iPhone

kevinp

I did the chalk test when my tires were new. Start with a higher tire pressure, chalk across the entire tread, ride around a bit, then check it. If the chalk isn't worn off all the way across, drop about 3psi and repeat. Continue until the chalk wears away evenly. Use that pressure.

Sent from my GS4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I did the chalk test when my tires were new. Start with a higher tire pressure, chalk across the entire tread, ride around a bit, then check it. If the chalk isn't worn off all the way across, drop about 3psi and repeat. Continue until the chalk wears away evenly. Use that pressure.

Sent from my GS4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Never heard of doing it that way before, good idea. I'm running 25psi in 37" KM2's and they wear just fine.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

SquareLJ

The pressure listed on your tire's sidewall isn't the recommended pressure, it is the maximum pressure for that tire.

MC2003TJ

running 27 psig with 35x12.5 r15 Goodyear MTR's on the street. 12 psig on the trail with no bead locks. great traction, smooth ride and don't loose that much ground clearance.

Chalk testing and ride quality is how I came up with 27 psig.

Best of luck!

USMCJK

I run 33 psi on my 35's KM2. I tried different psi's and found this one to be ideal for me. It gives me a nice ride AND gives me great MPG's. I have a 13 JKU Sahara, auto, 3.73. Not that we bought these jeeps for MPG but when you can get over 50 MPG's per quarter tank, it's nice..!!!

Top Bottom