Third Break light idea

jkmadness

Ok i need a new CB antena as i trashed mine this weekend, and I saw an antena that lights up red, so the idea poped into my head that what if i take my tire carrier off and some how tie into the old lines so it just lights up when i break. Here is the antena http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_productDisplay.php?itemid=31870 what do you guys think no go or try it out??

I don't know, light up antenna. :eek:

Firestik 2 with a tunable tip on amazon, 3 or 4 footer

Last edited:

noroad

Does anyone no how much power goes the the third light i dont want to splice in a antenna light if the power is to high and cause a fire.

jkmadness

Does anyone no how much power goes the the third light i dont want to splice in a antenna light if the power is to high and cause a fire.

I don't think it will cause a fire but it may blow a fuse. Or may not... It's the antenna and led light

Bill S

I'm not sure putting that much power into the radio through the antenna cable is a good idea. Maybe you should check with the cb manufacturer. That way you will know for sure.

jkrossi

Im sure the light is not part of the antenna its self but an exterior light with in the antenna and will not put power to the actual antenna or coax cable itself if that makes sense. And if thats the case you can splice into the power and ground wires that is powering the tail lights (passenger side corner under carpet). When you turn on your lights the antenna light will turn on.

noroad

I checked it over the weekend and it was around 11.5v with the engine off.

ok so im not a master at engery here but would 11.5v be ok if it says it uses 12v and what is the "100 watts P.E.P. Transmit and receive with light on or off" would that just be cancelled due to me just going directly into the OEM system?

yes the light is just on the outside of it not throw the CB.

It is only 30" as well what are peoples thoughts on that???

Last edited:

jkrossi

ok so im not a master at engery here but would 11.5v be ok if it says it uses 12v and what is the "100 watts P.E.P. Transmit and receive with light on or off" would that just be cancelled due to me just going directly into the OEM system?

yes the light is just on the outside of it not throw the CB.

It is only 30" as well what are peoples thoughts on that???

Just dont over 12v or you ca burn it up but 11.5v is fine. As for antenna hight or length you need the antenna to be taller than the roof of you vehicle. typically you would run a 3' antenna from a spare tire mount or a 4' from a license plate mount.

noroad

Just dont over 12v or you ca burn it up but 11.5v is fine. As for antenna hight or length you need the antenna to be taller than the roof of you vehicle. typically you would run a 3' antenna from a spare tire mount or a 4' from a license plate mount.

so this would be ok?

Who out there has a different third brake light what did you do for wiring???

Last edited:
Top Bottom