Nightmare Gluch = CLOSED

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't verified it but, I just got word that Nightmare Gulch, a trail near Red Rock Canyon and one that hooks up to Last Chance Canyon has been permanently closed. This is the notice that was forwarded to me...

The closure of Nightmare Gulch to vehicles is a permanent closure. It is still open to hiking and equestrian use. The reasons for the closure are cited as protection of sensitive biological and geological resources as well as public safety due to the deterioration of the vehicle route due to a recent flash flood.

We are sorry for the inconvenience but it just cannot be helped.

Sincerely,

Norm Lee
Mojave Sector Office
Lancaster, CA
661-946-6092

:grayno:

Smokinjoe

Our club is looking into this closure and so far now it's temporary. They state park folks need to make trail safe for vehicle traffic and we have offered our help.
Stay tuned,

kevinp

(sigh) I hope it's temporary. Most places to wheel are only one treehugger away from closing anyway. And here on the island, there's only one spot to wheel and a few irresponsible clowns are trying as hard as they can to jeopardize that.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

Rccrwlr

Our club is looking into this closure and so far now it's temporary. They state park folks need to make trail safe for vehicle traffic and we have offered our help.
Stay tuned,

It is great that part of the WOL community can help. It's always good when we can get out and show those that want to close the trails, that we really care!!

1979 Jeep CJ5 - RCCRWLR
2008 Jeep JKUR - JK LIG

Smokinjoe

UPDATE :eek:

Red Rock Canyon State Park issued an Emergency Closure of Nightmare Gulch, this action starts a formal process with the state park that must follow protocol. Our club talked with park officials yesterday and it is out of their hands so Sacramento is in control over this Emergency Closure.

they said a group from Sacramento will be out to evaluate how to repair trail also environmental assessment will be required before any repairs . This whole process could take many months. We have contacted CAL4Wheel for assistance also we have volunteered our club labor to help with any approved repair.

This trail is exposed to the elements and who is to say after approved repair, that another rain storm can alter the trail again. So we will see how temporary is temporary.
:banghead:

Top Bottom