Jeep+mudhole=money

TrailBear

Took my little guy out for a ride today, and in the first deep hole I hit I got a little heavy on the skinny peddle, heard a pop and my exhaust got real loud, so I found a dry spot to check it out. I was thinking my muffler let go, it's on the list of things that need to be changed, turned out I popped the flange off the header. Now she's at the muffler shop, they could get a new header in town and had a high flow muffler there, so now I wait! Guess the winch will have to wait:(

StrizzyChris

Took my little guy out for a ride today, and in the first deep hole I hit I got a little heavy on the skinny peddle, heard a pop and my exhaust got real loud, so I found a dry spot to check it out. I was thinking my muffler let go, it's on the list of things that need to be changed, turned out I popped the flange off the header. Now she's at the muffler shop, they could get a new header in town and had a high flow muffler there, so now I wait! Guess the winch will have to wait:(

Are you going with a stock of aftermarket headers? What muffler system are you going to do since your already paying for a replacement? That sucks, but at least it give you an excuse to put a good mufler system on there!:rock:

TrailBear

It's just an aftermarket replacement header, would have had to wait to upgrade to anything better, it's my dd so I had to go with what they could get, and the muffler is a heavy duty high flow thrush.

StrizzyChris

I have heard of quite a bit of issues with aftermarket headers, and many people going back to stock. Hope you dont have the same luck. All these complaints combined with all the supercharging malfunction complaints are the reason I'm just sticking with superchips flashpaq and calling it a day.

Yeti-09

I hope that's not true! I have a set of the ripp headers waiting for me to get home and install them (October) not doin the super charger though. Save up for an LS swap! The headers will then get put on the wife's Jku. But sorry to here about your mishap with your header, must have been some mud hole and some high rpms!

DA RUNT

That sucks, I've read a few articles on that problem with the 3.8 not sure if its manufacturer specific tho. Congrats on the new muffler I guess :)

StrizzyChris

This is all word of mouth an i have no actual experience. Just read alot about it. Im sure there are tons of people with no problems at all.

DA RUNT

I had ripp headers on my 11 and never had a problem. Had around 16k on it when i traded it in. Still see it cruisin around but haven't had a chance to talk to the new owner yet.

TrailBear

I have a tj with a 4.0L, the hole wasn't to deep just over the bottom of the doors, I think it was just the back pressure from the exhaust being under the water, I did have it to the floor, once it popped the rpms came up real fast, it was hitting the rev limiter.

TrailBear said:
I have a tj with a 4.0L, the hole wasn't to deep just over the bottom of the doors, I think it was just the back pressure from the exhaust being under the water, I did have it to the floor, once it popped the rpms came up real fast, it was hitting the rev limiter.

You will be fine with aftermarket headers on the TJ. Most people are having problems with them on the jk.

Top Bottom