regear and new shafts?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
to start i have an '11 sport 2 door.

later this winter or maybe early spring i plan on FINALLY regearing my jeep (prob to 5,13) and adding an ARB locker to the rear but keeping the front open. the sports/saharas have 30 spine shafts (i believe). when i regear is it necessary to upgrade my shafts to 35 spline F/R when i regear the 30 and 44 or will the 30 splines be ok? is it ok to upgrade the rear shafts by themselfs to 35 and leave the fronts as a 30 spline? if there is anything i missed that you would suggest please feel free to add your opinion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, you don't have to upgrade to 35 spline rear shafts but, I would. It's a very strong setup and one that you can really only do in a Sport/Sahara Dana 44 rear axle and with an ARB. Up front, you will NOT be able to make your Dana 30 into a 35 spline setup and that's perfectly fine. The factory setup is 27 spline on a Dana 30.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No, you don't have to upgrade to 35 spline rear shafts but, I would. It's a very strong setup and one that you can really only do in a Sport/Sahara Dana 44 rear axle and with an ARB. Up front, you will NOT be able to make your Dana 30 into a 35 spline setup and that's perfectly fine. The factory setup is 27 spline on a Dana 30.

awesome thank you Eddie! now i just need to get some chromoly shafts with full circle clips for the rear and an ARB in a 35 spline count.

can the D30 shafts be upgraded at all? can i get 27 spline chromoly shafts with full circle clips? i plan to upgrade to a D44 housing or even better a PR44 sometime in the distant future. just curious for the near future

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
awesome thank you Eddie! now i just need to get some chromoly shafts with full circle clips for the rear and an ARB in a 35 spline count.

Actually, the full circle clips are only needed on front axle shafts as they have u-joints. The rears will not need them.

can the D30 shafts be upgraded at all? can i get 27 spline chromoly shafts with full circle clips? i plan to upgrade to a D44 housing or even better a PR44 sometime in the distant future. just curious for the near future

You can definitely get a standard 27 spline front chromoly shaft with full circle clips and, at least for a time, there used to be a 30 spline upgrade you could get but if it were me, I wouldn't waste your money on it. I would save your money for a PR44.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Actually, the full circle clips are only needed on front axle shafts as they have u-joints. The rears will not need them.

ok so any rear chromoly 35 shaft will do then im assuming

You can definitely get a standard 27 spline front chromoly shaft with full circle clips and, at least for a time, there used to be a 30 spline upgrade you could get but if it were me, I wouldn't waste your money on it. I would save your money for a PR44.

thank you for helping save my money then as always eddie! it will go into my future front axle purchase. always appreciate the help

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ok so any rear chromoly 35 shaft will do then im assuming

To be clear, that's a "35-spline" shaft and you will need to get an ARB that will accept them. I've run this setup in the past and liked it a lot. Best part is, the shafts are equal length so you only need one spare. :yup:

thank you for helping save my money then as always eddie! it will go into my future front axle purchase. always appreciate the help

My pleasure and, if I can guess, your front axle will hold up just fine until you can afford an upgrade :cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've run this setup in the past and liked it a lot.

i have only heard good things about the ARB which is the reason why i am will to spend the extra $$ on it. i want to do it right the first time like you always say.

Best part is, the shafts are equal length so you only need one spare. :yup:

thats even better news!

My pleasure and, if I can guess, your front axle will hold up just fine until you can afford an upgrade :cool:

yea i can see it lasting for a while as i will only be running 35's till i upgrade the front. by that time i will be running 37's

Top Bottom