PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Check Engine Light on RubiCAT - P0306

CarsonCindy
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
While on our Chasing the Sun Part 2 adventure, we had the check engine light come on our 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, RubiCAT, which just had a little over 11,000 miles on the odometer. :naw:

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=283465&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=b8e8edc97148af6b4e5a286788a02b45

After doing some looking around, we found that this is actually a pretty common problem on early 2012's and that in a lot of cases, required the head to be replaced. So, at our next gas stop, we checked to see what code would come up and, as luck would have it, we got a P0306 - a cylinder 6 misfire.

Here is how to check the DTC codes:
Jeep JK Wrangler Diagnostic Trouble Codes - DTC How to Check Them (http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtc-how-to-check-them-what-they-mean)

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=283473&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=b8e8edc97148af6b4e5a286788a02b45

After our drive out to the desert and back, the light did eventually go out but, we will still be taking it into the dealer to have it looked at. Being that so many other people with early 2012's have had similar problems and that it could be something major, we figure, better safe than sorry. Not holding our breath but, if it is something major, hopefully it'll be something they cover under warranty. Wish us luck.

Sharkey
06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Bummer...just remember the "anonymous" survey after the visit to dealer isn't so anonymous. It would really suck to have to deal with the whole red flag fiasco again.

DA RUNT
06-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Do you get a nice ticking noise from the motor? Our 12 had it and kept getting louder, we took it into the dealer and they replaced the valve train without even blinking. Makes me wonder if that's something they're dealing with often. Perhaps your check engine light is somehow tied into the tick :idontknow: Best of luck, warranty should cover it :thumb:

ncbmx64
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I am one of the lucky ones:banghead: that is waiting for head replacement. I have a driver side engine tick the first time in they replaced lifters and phaser on left side head. Second time they said the tick was normal. Third time in they said they would replace the head. I am currently waiting for a head and head gasket to show up for them to do the replacement. I have been waiting since 5/15/12 and they still have no ETA on when parts will show up all they can tell me is that the parts have been ordered and they will call me when they come in. They did allow me to pick my jeep up and said it was ok to drive while we wait for the parts. Although I did not ever get a check engine light error I just heard the tick and took it in to the dealer. From what they have told me normally STAR will not allow them to replace/order a head until check engine light errors accur but after multiple talks and emails with STAR the dealer was able to convince them to let them replace the head due to a out of spec lifter bore measurement. If anyone has any questions about what I have gone through and have been told from the dealer send me a msg and I will be glad to help. Thanks to some helpful people on JK-Forum I was able to provide my dealer with some info and was given great advive on how to handle the situaton to get the problem resolved

SoCalDozer
06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I got the tick as well. they told me they wouldnt do anything until a code popped and that it was normal. You can tell that it's ticking quite bad on one side. sounds like a tractor in a drive thru.

DA RUNT
06-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Been about 1500 miles since they fixed it and all seems well. There's still a tiny tap at cold start up, but it goes right away.

StrizzyChris
06-12-2012, 09:03 PM
light did eventually go out but, we will still be taking it into the dealer to have it looked at. Wish us luck.

super sucky...any update on what the dealership said?

ichthus
06-13-2012, 12:09 AM
I got the tick as well. they told me they wouldnt do anything until a code popped and that it was normal. You can tell that it's ticking quite bad on one side. sounds like a tractor in a drive thru.

Should you not take pride in a Dozer Jeep that sounds like a tractor?

SoCalDozer
06-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Should you not take pride in a Dozer Jeep that sounds like a tractor?

haha it doesnt really bother me, it fits the color. but I know the light will come on eventually.

wayoflife
06-13-2012, 01:45 AM
super sucky...any update on what the dealership said?

unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to go to the dealer yet. being that the light is on again, hopefully sometime this week.

2012jkfng702
06-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Dang Eddie, that sucks... Guess the good thing is that your other Jeep is a Jeep:D

GCM 2
06-14-2012, 06:40 AM
I saw on your Facebook site that RubiCat is at the dealer for the diagnosis. I sure hope it turns out to be nothing major :(

MTG
06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Saw that the parts are on backorder. I am curious if they told you it was okay to drive (or if you know that it is) and what are the long term ramifications of driving it without a fix.

Nicholas
06-15-2012, 12:00 AM

What dealership did u go to in sd?

wayoflife
06-15-2012, 06:14 AM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/249019_10150931700883971_84176530_n.jpg

i apologize for not posting up on this thread sooner.

as some of you have seen, we took rubicat down to bob baker down in carlsbad a couple of days ago to see if they would be willing to help us. as soon as i got out of the jeep, randy, a service tech that's helped me out in the past asked how i was doing and what seemed to be the problem. as luck would have it, all i needed to say was that we had a check engine light come on and that the code we got was a p0306. as soon as i said that, he rolled his eyes and started on a rant about all the trouble they've been having with the 3.6L engines and how he's already got 8 JK's waiting for a new head. needless to say, getting this problem fixed under warranty didn't seem like it was going to be a problem but, getting it fixed in a timely manner was. from what i was told, the only way i could get the ball rolling was to leave our jeep, allow them to tear things apart, verify the problem, send photos to chrysler to prove it and then, have a replacement head ordered up. unfortunately, the current wait on new heads is about 2 months right now and that's about how long we would be out of a jeep.

so, after all was said and done, we took rubicat back home and, unless things start to get worse, we'll just wait it out and try taking her back after we get back home from tahoe. maybe by then they will have caught up a bit and the wait won't be as long.

anyway, that's where we're at right now. :sigh:

TrailBear
06-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Damn that really sucks:(

Sharkey
06-15-2012, 06:59 AM
That does suck. Hopefully Rubicat holds up just fine for you for the next month or so.

wayoflife
06-15-2012, 07:03 AM
That does suck. Hopefully Rubicat holds up just fine for you for the next month or so.

well, what really sucks is that we wanted to take her up to tahoe but now, we're second guessing that idea. it should be fine but, knowing that you have a problem like a bad head is hard to get out of your head if you know what i mean.

Sharkey
06-15-2012, 07:08 AM
I totally understand and, quite frankly, you don't want to have to have Rubicat worked on down here in Reno if something happens up in Tahoe.

Chairokey
06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Boy that's just what I need.. Now I wonder if the waiting list depends on your location or if it's the same everywhere..

Prime8
06-15-2012, 11:16 AM
well, what really sucks is that we wanted to take her up to tahoe but now, we're second guessing that idea. it should be fine but, knowing that you have a problem like a bad head is hard to get out of your head if you know what i mean.

Do you know if this problem extends into the 2013's or have they caught and corrected the issue prior to release?

ncbmx64
06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Do you know if this problem extends into the 2013's or have they caught and corrected the issue prior to release?

I was told by my service manager that the problem is mostly in the early 2012 models but there is a few later build dates with the problem as well but not many, they had a bad cast and it caused some lifter bores to be out of spec. I would think they have the problem resolved since the people getting the head replaced no longer have the issue so the new heads aren't having any problems. I am currently waiting for my head to be replaced the dealer has the head in and now just waiting for a gasket which is on backorder as well. They did tell me it was ok to drive while they are waiting for the parts. I expressed concern about driving a vehicle that they know has a bad head and they told me it should be no problems just will have a tick.

Chairokey
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I was told by my service manager that the problem is mostly in the early 2012 models but there is a few later build dates with the problem as well but not many, they had a bad cast and it caused some lifter bores to be out of spec. I would think they have the problem resolved since the people getting the head replaced no longer have the issue so the new heads aren't having any problems. I am currently waiting for my head to be replaced the dealer has the head in and now just waiting for a gasket which is on backorder as well. They did tell me it was ok to drive while they are waiting for the parts. I expressed concern about driving a vehicle that they know has a bad head and they told me it should be no problems just will have a tick.

I wonder what Qualifies as early models. Mine was born in march..

wayoflife
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Boy that's just what I need.. Now I wonder if the waiting list depends on your location or if it's the same everywhere..

hard to say for sure but, it is my understanding that this is the case everywhere.

no. the problem has been fixed and isn't even a problem with 12's built after november of 2011.

from the research we've done, this is a problem with 2012's built before november of 2011. ours was built in september and, why we're not surprised that this is happening to us too. we were told that so long as the check engine light isn't flashing at us, we're fine to drive it as well.

I wonder what Qualifies as early models. Mine was born in march..

anything made before november 2011

ncbmx64
06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah I have a Nov 11 build and I have heard of a couple issues with some some Jan and Feb builds as well. Seems like now they know its a problem and know the fix for it. I had to go in a few times and get the run around a little bit but they did finally order the head and hopefully it resolves the issue

Vudoo1
06-15-2012, 04:41 PM
hard to say for sure but, it is my understanding that this is the case everywhere.

no. the problem has been fixed and isn't even a problem with 12's built after november of 2011.

from the research we've done, this is a problem with 2012's built before november of 2011. ours was built in september and, why we're not surprised that this is happening to us too. we were told that so long as the check engine light isn't flashing at us, we're fine to drive it as well.

anything made before november 2011

Makes me nervous. My 2012 is coming up to 11,000. 10,600 so far without any check engine lights. My rig was built in July of 2012, I think I received it off the factory truck in August.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but the only issue I have had is with the 1350 JE Reel shaft leaking. Jim Reel has looked at it himself but it still leaks. EVO put the rear shaft in first but then I took it to Rebel to check the leak. Slingers, yokes and seals have all been replaced a few times but there still is a slight leak. From what Rebel told me, they are working with Jim Reel and the 1350s. I guess they were machines 1/10 of an inch too far. Nothing the Chrysler warranty would cover.

wayoflife
06-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Makes me nervous. My 2012 is coming up to 11,000. 10,600 so far without any check engine lights. My rig was built in July of 2012, I think I received it off the factory truck in August.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but the only issue I have had is with the 1350 JE Reel shaft leaking. Jim Reel has looked at it himself but it still leaks. EVO put the rear shaft in first but then I took it to Rebel to check the leak. Slingers, yokes and seals have all been replaced a few times but there still is a slight leak. From what Rebel told me, they are working with Jim Reel and the 1350s. I guess they were machines 1/10 of an inch too far. Nothing the Chrysler warranty would cover.

cut the dust shield off and run the flange without it. i don't know why reel puts those stupid things on now as they never used to but, they are the cause of your leak.

GCM 2
06-15-2012, 05:10 PM
KrazyK on the other forum is much more entertaining than this boring pentastar engine stuff :cheesy:

wayoflife
06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
KrazyK on the other forum is much more entertaining than this boring pentastar engine stuff :cheesy:

hey man, not all of us can be as cool as krazyk. looking cool while crusing the beach is hard work :cheesy:

wayoflife
06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HMKLA2MWok&feature=youtube_gdata_player

there!! now it's interesting - ya happy?? :D

2012jkfng702
06-15-2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HMKLA2MWok&feature=youtube_gdata_player

All I can say is WOW!!! Thanks Eddie for ruining my pure thoughts about unicorns.... They even had a Narwhale in the video... I'm gonna go drink some :honey: and watch it again:cheesy:

Zambi
06-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Well my jeep has the tick. Born in sept of 11 so guess I'm screwed. Gonna call the dealership tomorrow. See if they will just let me swap to a rubicon for all the hassle ;). Also the dealer told me I was only gonna have to change my oil every 8k miles. Why after 3.5k is my change oil light on? Any answers are appreciated

2012jkfng702
06-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Well my jeep has the tick. Born in sept of 11 so guess I'm screwed. Gonna call the dealership tomorrow. See if they will just let me swap to a rubicon for all the hassle ;). Also the dealer told me I was only gonna have to change my oil every 8k miles. Why after 3.5k is my change oil light on? Any answers are appreciated
On the oil light, supposedly there is a sensor in the oil pan that detects when the oil needs to be changed. I asked my buddy at the dealership the same question. Basically he stated that because mine is off road and rock crawling the oil will have to be changed more frequently. Guessing 5 to 8 thousand is a dream unless you just drive on the Highway. Oh and how could you not comment on the dolphin getting worked by a unicorn??? You just ignored it like it didn't happen and went straight into an oil question :cheesy:

bdmckenna
06-15-2012, 10:45 PM

You're just raring to go out on a limb today I see.

On another note, 2012's made after January 11 also have several design/engineering changes. I ran into that date too with fitment of some of the things I put on such as the JKS sector shaft brace. Just FYI.

MTG
06-16-2012, 02:31 AM
You're just raring to go out on a limb today I see.

On another note, 2012's made after January 11 also have several design/engineering changes. I ran into that date too with fitment of some of the things I put on such as the JKS sector shaft brace. Just FYI.

What changes?

bdmckenna
06-16-2012, 02:42 AM
The steering box came from a different vendor and as an example, when JKS made their bracket they designed it on a pre Jan 11 model. The new steering box is 3mm different in size. While that is not much the "bisket" would not match up to the sector shaft from the JKS bracket.

Then Garvin who's rear bumper I have, the bolt holes were a little off and it turned out to be the same type of issue. Jeep changed the factory hole location after Jan 11, again, only by a couple of mm.

My Warn front bumper also had very minor fitment issues.

Pilgrim55
06-20-2012, 01:40 AM
I have 10000 miles on my 2012 jeep jk it was built on 8 2011 it it still possible to have this problem or do you think I will be OK?

DA RUNT
06-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Great..... I got that song stuck in my head at work Eddie.. F&*%$@! a dolphin:cheesy:

wayoflife
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I have 10000 miles on my 2012 jeep jk it was built on 8 2011 it it still possible to have this problem or do you think I will be OK?

honestly, i'm not sure. what i can tell you is that my dealership has said that they have seen it happen with as little as 4,000 miles but not beyond 30,000. of cousre, if this really becomes an across the board kind of thing, i'm sure an official TSB or recall will be issued.

Great..... I got that song stuck in my head at work Eddie.. F&*%$@! a dolphin:cheesy:

:cheesy: you can thank GCM 2 for that

MTG
06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
honestly, i'm not sure. what i can tell you is that my dealership has said that they have seen it happen with as little as 4,000 miles but not beyond 30,000.

is it happening in other variations of the engine/models? If not, who is the mad man with 30K miles on his 2012 already?

wayoflife
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
is it happening in other variations of the engine/models? If not, who is the mad man with 30K miles on his 2012 already?

the 3.6 is a new motor that's being installed on all chrysler products and if i recal, the problem first surfaced on one of their other vehicles.

DA RUNT
06-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Da runt was built 11-11 and had the valve train replaced at 5k. Guess I got mine done before the head shortage :)

wayoflife
06-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Da runt was built 11-11 and had the valve train replaced at 5k. Guess I got mine done before the head shortage :)

lucky you - no problems since i take it?

DA RUNT
06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
lucky you - no problems since i take it?

No, its been great since then. Even the little tick is gone. :wings:

ncbmx64
06-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Got a call monday that all parts came in to do my head replacement, dropped the jeep off monday after work and was told would be ready in a day or two. I should be picking it up today after work will let you know how she runs.

Pilgrim55
06-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks Eddie I am on the process of buy a lift for it and I am a little scared about the warranty. I am welling to give up the warranty on the suspension sure don't want to take a hit on a defect that they are aware of.

rakattack526
06-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey guys. Had my wife take my '12 in yesterday (I'm away from home for a few months). It's had the tick for a while, I thought it might be normal until I read these posts about. Then I also got an engine light up. She took it in and they said the tick was normal. They reprogrammed the computer saying the cylinder was firing "funny". Jeep still ticks. Should I find a new dealer or wait for another engine light?

wayoflife
07-29-2012, 11:07 PM
As some of you may know, we just got done spending the last 5 weeks up in Tahoe and, while we were doing one of our many treks out into the northern Nevada Desert, we ended up filling up once with 88 octane as that was the only thing available at the time. I should note that doing so effectively turned off our Check Engine Light and it stayed off until we were well into our next tank of 87 octane gas. Hard to think that this was just a coinscidence and though I would post it up here for the record.

MTG
07-29-2012, 11:54 PM
^ Interesting.

MikeLisa
07-30-2012, 12:10 AM
I've got an 11 and all I run is 89. My wife's 04 Grand Cherokee would spark knock on 87 so when we got my JK I was scared of the same thing.

wayoflife
08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Just an update to let you all know where we're at with this, we got a call from our dealership about a month ago and was told that they were able to order up a new head and without having to take apart our Jeep first. We were also told that this would in fact be covered under warranty so, all is totally good there. About a week ago, we finally got the green light to bring in our Jeep to have the repair made and on Friday, we got a call saying that Rubicat was ready to go. The good news was that everything was covered under warranty just as promised but, the bad news was, just as they were bringing our Jeep out, they noticed that the engine was running rough and that the CHECK ENGINE light had come back on. Hoping that it was something dumb like a loose plug wire, they popped open the hood to give everything a quick look but unfortunately, they couldn't find anything that easy. If you can believe it, after hooking up a scan tool, they found that we now had a misfire in cylinder #2. Needless to say, we're still out of a Jeep :sigh:

On a positive note, I just wanted to say that unlike experiences we've had with other Jeep dealerships, Bob Baker in Carlsbad, CA has been extremely helpful and professional in their dealings with us. Our service advisor Randy Folds has been great to us and I would highly recommend their services to anyone in the area.

JKRay
08-20-2012, 03:40 AM
wow that sucks but its a good thing that its covered! If they are having problems that bad they should just replace them all. :yup:

amerikancheg
09-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Wayoflife,
Was your problem resolved?
I just fixed same issue on mine so far so good (4 days). Mechanic said it might come back and I was thinking, if it'll come back again i will try to replace the whole engine. What you think?

wayoflife
09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Wayoflife,
Was your problem resolved?
I just fixed same issue on mine so far so good (4 days). Mechanic said it might come back and I was thinking, if it'll come back again i will try to replace the whole engine. What you think?

Yes, they finally got everything fixed or, so far as I can tell. Haven't had too much time to really test it out as we had been gone for a while but, I'll be sure to post up any new news if it comes up.

Karl
10-03-2012, 02:56 AM
I had my 2012 JK (purchased in November 2011) diagnosed by Rancho Jeep in San Diego. I was told the national backorder was running between six and eight weeks. When I hadn't heard from the dealership after ten weeks, I phoned, and a day or two later I received a call that my replacement part had arrived.

I dropped off the vehicle at the dealership on Wednesday of last week and got it back on Saturday. The service advisor told that several JKs had the repair done that week.

So far everything seems okay, except for the sound of rushing liquid when I accelerate in the morning. I presume that's air in the cooling system (the sound goes away once the engine is warm). I'll have to find out what best way to take care of that might be.

wayoflife
10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
yeah, it was a pain to get fixed but, we're glad that we finally got ours done. so far, all seems good and, we feel a bit more power again too.

as far as your 'rushing liquid' sound goes, where does it sound like it's coming from and is it a long or short sound? wierd.

Karl
10-04-2012, 04:39 AM
The sound of rushing liquid seems to come from just beyond the dash on the passenger side. I checked the error codes and got P0688, which may indicate a problem with the ASD service. I have another appointment with the dealership on Monday.

MTG
10-04-2012, 05:39 AM
There are a few threads on the rushing water sound over at jk-forum.

OrangeCrush
10-30-2012, 09:25 PM
i have the same rushing water sound....I was told that it is air in the heater core that is trapped and the radiator needs to be burped to remove the air from the coolant system.

Marauder
12-19-2014, 02:59 AM
Well mine just went in for p0306 they said 3-4 days we will see...

Marauder
12-23-2014, 04:54 AM
After a couple days in the shop and some diagnostics, they are ordering me a new head for replacement. (Fingers crossed)

OverlanderJK
01-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Pretty sure I have the infamous tick in my motor. :banghead:

No codes yet so I guess I have to wait.

wayoflife
01-14-2015, 11:45 PM
Pretty sure I have the infamous tick in my motor. :banghead:

No codes yet so I guess I have to wait.

Well that sucks! You still under warranty?

OverlanderJK
01-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Well that sucks! You still under warranty?

Power train should be until 100k but out of bumper to bumper for a while now.

JAGS
01-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Not sure if applicable, but I got a notice some time ago about a warranty extension for similar possible issues. Again, not sure if relevant to this specific issue or for others who come across this post. Here's a pic of main letter details about the warranty.

OverlanderJK
01-15-2015, 12:09 AM
Not sure if applicable, but I got a notice some time ago about a warranty extension for similar possible issues. Again, not sure if relevant to this specific issue or for others who come across this post. Here's a pic of main letter details about the warranty.

I never received that notice but I remember seeing it. Pretty sure they won't do anything unless there is a CEL. I'll have to wait a bit I guess and maybe make an appointment in a few weeks.

JAGS
01-15-2015, 12:13 AM
I never received that notice but I remember seeing it. Pretty sure they won't do anything unless there is a CEL. I'll have to wait a bit I guess and maybe make an appointment in a few weeks.

No doubt. :crazyeyes: Glad you at least knew of the extension, though your still under the 100k for now.

gtony12
01-15-2015, 12:17 AM
I got my recall for my transmission lines to be replaced. Finally its taken a while. But i knew it was coming. :(

Marauder
01-15-2015, 12:21 AM
My jeep still sounds like it ticks after the head replacement. Lol

BrockG
01-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Need some help I am getting the check engine light on my 2011 rubicon unlimited and when I check the codes it just shows dashes and then done like there is no code but the light stays illuminated any thoughts? thanks

CanadianJK
01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you just used the key method?

The built in key option only shows current codes, if there's a stored code and the problem isn't currently happening it will take a few drive cycles to go away. Any code reader will give you the stored code, if you don't care to find out what the code was then disconnect battery, wait 15 and it should clear. If it returns get it looked at.

My advice would be to have someone pull the code and clear it, then you know what caused it.

wayoflife
01-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Need some help I am getting the check engine light on my 2011 rubicon unlimited and when I check the codes it just shows dashes and then done like there is no code but the light stays illuminated any thoughts? thanks

More thank likely, you have a leak at your EVAP canister. More times than not, at the connection where the little white box goes into the big black one. A new gasket or some RTV here may be all you need.

BrockG
01-23-2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks I pulled the code with a buddies reader and sure enough it was P0456 Evap purge system small leak guess it's time to look for some sealant. Thanks again..

Jorge1004
02-03-2015, 08:07 AM
I'm having this problem with my 2013 jku and I'm going to the dealer for the second time now

Jorge1004
02-03-2015, 08:10 AM
And when I dropped off my jeep the first time they replaced my heads twice while the had it because the same code came up a month later back the the dealer for the same problem 😞

MrJ3sser
03-26-2015, 02:31 AM
Resurrecting an old thread here. It seems like everyone that has had this problem was under 20k miles. Mine popped up a couple of months ago and, if I remember correctly, it pulled cylinder 4 misfire and multiple cylinder misfires. I have 42k miles and am wondering if this will be covered under the power train warranty? It seems like it is the same problem as everyone else's as I have an early 2012 (bought in Oct 2011). I am taking it in next friday so my fingers are crossed that it will be covered.

RUBINOT
03-26-2015, 02:47 AM
Should be covered. They extended all the warranties on the engines do to that problem.

MrJ3sser
03-26-2015, 02:56 AM
Should be covered. They extended all the warranties on the engines do to that problem.

Good to know. Maybe I can sleep better tonight. Definitely don't have the cash to throw down on new heads. Hopefully the wait time isn't 2 months like WOL and the others experienced.

CrazyLarry
03-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Resurrecting an old thread here. It seems like everyone that has had this problem was under 20k miles. Mine popped up a couple of months ago and, if I remember correctly, it pulled cylinder 4 misfire and multiple cylinder misfires. I have 42k miles and am wondering if this will be covered under the power train warranty? It seems like it is the same problem as everyone else's as I have an early 2012 (bought in Oct 2011). I am taking it in next friday so my fingers are crossed that it will be covered.

Mine was replaced at 41k under warranty

Pilgrim55
12-18-2017, 05:27 AM
Mine is being replaced now with 47000 miles on it under warranty

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

dhughes16
04-12-2018, 06:37 PM
After my drive home from work last week I pulled into my driveway. I was on the phone and was sitting in the car idling for about 15 min when the engine light came on. I checked the code (P0306). I looked up what it was but by the time i got back into town the light went off and there was no code. I drove probably 10 miles total with the light on and everything sounded/felt like
Normal. Any ideas why the fault disappeared so quickly?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

sipafz
04-12-2018, 08:25 PM
After my drive home from work last week I pulled into my driveway. I was on the phone and was sitting in the car idling for about 15 min when the engine light came on. I checked the code (P0306). I looked up what it was but by the time i got back into town the light went off and there was no code. I drove probably 10 miles total with the light on and everything sounded/felt like
Normal. Any ideas why the fault disappeared so quickly?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Fault didnít ďdisappearĒ. A code reader will show the stored code and possible pending ones that might narrow the diagnosis.

dhughes16
04-13-2018, 04:35 PM
The code reader just stated that it was a cylinder 6 misfire. Iím just over 100k miles so Iím going to change the spark plugs and go from there

Bear_JKU
04-13-2018, 07:52 PM
The warranty was extended to 10 years or 150,000 miles. Maybe take it in and let the dealership check it out.

mauijim
04-13-2018, 09:13 PM
That code came up on my 2012 jk on the way home from the dealer where I had just bought it back in 2016. I immediately brought it back to them and they gave me some piece of crap boat as a loaner till they figured out what they were going to do and after a week they said they were going to fix it on their dime and 3 long weeks later I got my Jeep. So it was a month after I bought it that I finally had it in my driveway. Everyone was telling me to just get my money back and I was really thinking about it. But so glad I didnít.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Bear_JKU
04-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Is it just luck of the draw if you deal with this issue or is it a given that it will happen? I bought my 2012 in 2017 but I donít know if the previous owner handled it already. I already have just about 87,000 miles and knock on wood Bear has been good! Hope I didnít just jinx myself...