CB radio buzzing sound.

Lagavulin

My cb radio makes a buzzing sound when turned on. Doesn't matter what the volume is set to. It's hooked up to a relay and a fuse. At times the buzzing goes away and I can hear others chatter but they cannot hear me. I have an swr meter in line with the cb and anntenna and I'm getting a low reading. Any ideas? Please and thank you

eeftw

Connect the leads straight to the battery(w/ fuse of course). Why are you using a relay, so you can turn it off and on with something like an Spod?

You're probably getting noise (electronic noise) due to that relay. If that doesn't work check the resistance reading of the base of your antenna with ground. You may need a ground strap for your antenna. Grounding these things is key...

Try moving the power wire to another source. You could have chosen a non filtered power wire. I used the power wire from the aux power on the dash.

Lagavulin

I had it hooked up originally to the batter and the negative to the tub. What's the definition of a non filtered wire?

Lagavulin

Connect the leads straight to the battery(w/ fuse of course). Why are you using a relay, so you can turn it off and on with something like an Spod?

You're probably getting noise (electronic noise) due to that relay. If that doesn't work check the resistance reading of the base of your antenna with ground. You may need a ground strap for your antenna. Grounding these things is key...

Correct. It's hooked up to a type of spod. Before that it was hooked up directly to the battery and I would have the same issues. I'll check the resistance.

eeftw

Correct. It's hooked up to a type of spod. Before that it was hooked up directly to the battery and I would have the same issues. I'll check the resistance.

Yea try putting the base of the antenna to the same potential as the radio ground. That should do it. I have the same problem but I'm too lazy to do a strap right now.

Code:
I had it hooked up originally to the batter and the negative to the tub. What's the definition of a non filtered wire?

I guess the better choice of words would have been shielded. For instance the CB Coax is shielded. basically what I did was run a separate wire to my power sorce and did not route it with other wire bundles. this allowes me to eliminate and possible interference.

R/
Will

JKWrang

Couple things:

Ground it the antenna mount if you haven't.
Get good coax if you used cheap crappy coax.
And make sure your squelch is in the right spot. :)

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

David1tontj

Also, you may check the routing of your antenna wire. If it runs close to other power wires it can cause a buzz. I had that problem in my old fj40 and was able to re route it and fix the problem.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Last edited:

Lagavulin

Also, you may check the routing of your antenna wire. If it runs close to other power wires it can cause a buzz. I had that problem in my old fj40 and was able to re route it and fix the problem.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Its currently running through the same factory cut whole that the driver side rear lights are running through - this could still be the issue?

jkrossi

Ive messed with all the setting on the radio and the buzzing doesn't change

Invest in a ham and get your friends to get them too. They are night and day better.
But good luck on the cb. I finally got mine to where I like it. I hope you get that thing squirt away.

Top Bottom