A little help?

Voodoo Actual

I'm working a mountain top site and have encountered a few issues.

Today my rear diff started acting up - took 20 mins to get it to lock up. The front diff locks up riki-tik. The rear just flashes. I confirmed it not being locked by watching the rear end just slip on wet rock.

Tapped the diff, tried the toggle many times. No effect. It finally locked up over some big rocks but again the diff indicator just flashes for about 20 mins.

I also have a click sound when I'm in park and press the brakes. If I turn the engine off there's no noise. No noise in N or D. The issue is the same in 2, 4H, and 4L.

When I slowly roll over speed bumps etc I can hear the same sort if clicking coming from the same area.

If you touch the shift lever and press the brakes when in park you can feel someone that appears to be tapping the lever (the clicking sound).

When I start the vehicle, the heater also does not work. The rear defrost icon blinks for a min or two. When it stops, the heater will function.

2013 JKUR Auto

Any ideas?

FrankenJeeper

The click in the shifter when in park and pressing the brake is more than likely the little switch that allows you to remove the shifter from park and into a gear once the brakes are pressed. Both of my old fords I had did this. The other issues I haven't a clue about. Hope this helps!

StrizzyChris

All the experience on this board and nothing?

Someone has had to have experienced some of these issues before....

I would like to help you, but it sounds like your issues are in your instrument cluster/steering column and I have no electrical knowledge what-so-ever! The rear locker issue is pretty common sounding and could be the locker sticking and not engaging. When you "tapped the diff" did you remove the cover to access the actual carrier, or just hit the differential housing?

Voodoo Actual

I would like to help you, but it sounds like your issues are in your instrument cluster/steering column and I have no electrical knowledge what-so-ever! The rear locker issue is pretty common sounding and could be the locker sticking and not engaging. When you "tapped the diff" did you remove the cover to access the actual carrier, or just hit the differential housing?

I just got out and tapped the diff with a tool when I was climbing and going over big rocks.

Now the rear diff seems to lock up in a reasonable time....not really but it isn't taking 20 mins anymore; the issue now is unlocking. It took over 10 mins to get it to unlock.

I'm not sure what's going on but it's obviously not good.

This makes ARB's look pretty attractive but I'd hate to have to spend that much money on diffs with such a new rig.

I have an appointment at Jeep next week however, I'm will still be working this site up to and after next Weds. Is there a quick fix that will get me by?

Gotta love the service/warranty department. They told me I was activating my lockers incorrectly. What a bunch of dingbats.

StrizzyChris

Oh yeah, that's the locker sticking. Unfortunately it isn't serviceable. I'd look to upgrade instead of replace with another OEM if and only if it's not replaced under warranty.

Voodoo Actual

Oh yeah, that's the locker sticking. Unfortunately it isn't serviceable. I'd look to upgrade instead of replace with another OEM if and only if it's not replaced under warranty.

I don't see why it wouldn't be under warranty. This Jeep is only at 18k miles. Hopefully the front and rear will be warrantied.

Warrantied OEM's will have to do until I can get some air lockers.

Is there anything I can do to help my diffs in the mean time?

Last edited:

Voodoo Actual

Update:

Took my Jeep into the dealer last Weds. They told me my lockers etc were completely fine and that I did not know how to operate them or my four wheel drive.

Then they said they tested them on he lift and they locked up just fine. I asked if they unlocked them and they ignored the question and repeated that I had no idea what I was doing but that they would be happy to give me a class.

They told me they test drove my rig after they tested it on the lift which was concerning to me.

What they actually did was drive around on pavement and through their test drive route locked up.

Now they owe me new diffs - which they have ordered.

After all this my transmission is damaged too. It's an Auto and when you shift from P to D, N etc it grinds. It's and Auto and it is now grinding from whatever these clowns did.

Clearly I am the one who doesn't know what they are doing....

David1tontj

Update:

Took my Jeep into the dealer last Weds. They told me my lockers etc were completely fine and that I did not know how to operate them or my four wheel drive.

Then they said they tested them on he lift and they locked up just fine. I asked if they unlocked them and they ignored the question and repeated that I had no idea what I was doing but that they would be happy to give me a class.

They told me they test drove my rig after they tested it on the lift which was concerning to me.

What they actually did was drive around on pavement and through their test drive route locked up.

Now they owe me new diffs - which they have ordered.

After all this my transmission is damaged too. It's an Auto and when you shift from P to D, N etc it grinds. It's and Auto and it is now grinding from whatever these clowns did.

Clearly I am the one who doesn't know what they are doing....

Wow.... Are they cooperating with fixing it for you??

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Voodoo Actual

Wow.... Are they cooperating with fixing it for you??

Sort of.....

They ordered diffs and told me that their techs are busy until the 18th so it sounds like I'll be out of my rig for a while.

There is also still the issue of the transmission that needs to be address which they are trying to ignore.

Any suggestions?

David1tontj

Not sure... Call a higher up??? I never do anything through the dealer... My brother does everything through them tho... His screen name is 4x4jesus. Maybe hit him up

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I would continue to press the dealer about the transmission problems and if they continue to ignore you I would contact Chrysler and talk to them. On a couple of occasions I have had to go through Chrysler to get the dealership to pay attention. Especially with your Jeep being stock they really shouldn't have a problem taking care of these problems under warranty.

For questions and further comments about Chrysler Group LLC, please contact us:

Address:
Chrysler Group LLC
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Phone Number: 1-800-334-9200
M-F, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET (less some holidays)

For questions or concerns regarding your vehicle or dealer service please contact the brand phone number for your vehicle below:

Customer Care:

M-F, 7 a.m.-12 a.m. ET; Sat, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. ET; Sun, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. ET (less some holidays)

Jeep Brand: 1-877-426-5337

jeeeep

Hooked
I've had similar issues with a non-responsive dealer for repair work they indicated they did but all they did was falsify warranty repair work and did not do the repair and just gave me the run around.

1st - document everything, dates, conversation notes, names of people spoken to and get anything you can from the dealer in writing. Do not continue driving it if you suspect damages - any additional damages incurred they can put on you. take it to the dealer and let them know it was not in that condition and ask for a loaner until they get yours repaired (this will also create some urgency on their part)

Based on the timeline they gave you just for the axles, make a courtesy call to the dealer GM 1st and see if they will respond about the whole thing trans and axles. if no response or satisfactory solution from them then go to Chrysler, your save is that your Jeep is still stock or else they would have flagged it as soon as they damaged it....

Don't let up on Chrysler, they will try to send you back to the dealer and if you can record your conversations (of course let them know it may be recorded for quality assurance).

Chrysler has more power to put a fire under the dealers ass to get it done right and quickly...don't let them try to settle with you paying any labor costs - they will likely offer to 'share' the costs with you since they can't determine who was at fault.

It may take a few calls but the squeaky wheel gets greased....

Voodoo Actual

I've had similar issues with a non-responsive dealer for repair work they indicated they did but all they did was falsify warranty repair work and did not do the repair and just gave me the run around.

1st - document everything, dates, conversation notes, names of people spoken to and get anything you can from the dealer in writing. Do not continue driving it if you suspect damages - any additional damages incurred they can put on you. take it to the dealer and let them know it was not in that condition and ask for a loaner until they get yours repaired (this will also create some urgency on their part)

Based on the timeline they gave you just for the axles, make a courtesy call to the dealer GM 1st and see if they will respond about the whole thing trans and axles. if no response or satisfactory solution from them then go to Chrysler, your save is that your Jeep is still stock or else they would have flagged it as soon as they damaged it....

Don't let up on Chrysler, they will try to send you back to the dealer and if you can record your conversations (of course let them know it may be recorded for quality assurance).

Chrysler has more power to put a fire under the dealers ass to get it done right and quickly...don't let them try to settle with you paying any labor costs - they will likely offer to 'share' the costs with you since they can't determine who was at fault.

It may take a few calls but the squeaky wheel gets greased....

I can't afford to be out of my right for 5 weeks. The dealer said once they get the parts it will take them 1 - 2 weeks to do the repairs.

This obviously doesn't work and I don't make my payments to not be able to drive my Jeep.

I called Chrysler and was on the phone with them for about and hour and a half. I gave then dates, issues, conversations that took place etc.

Yesterday they touched base with me to let me know that they are elevating my case, which is apparently a good thing for me.

I can't trust my rig any longer. I don't want it back. They asked me what am acceptable solution would be; I let them know.

I need a 4x4 for work. That's one of the reasons I bought what I bought. They tried to stick me in a car. I laughed. It took hours but I got out of there in a 2011 RAM 1500 4x4.

I'll call every day until this is taken care of.

On a side note, I would not recommend that anyone uses Rairdon in Kirkland, WA to service their vehicle. Ever.

Last edited:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I can't afford to be out of my right for 5 weeks. The dealer said once they get the parts it will take them 1 - 2 weeks to do the repairs.

This obviously doesn't work and I don't make my payments to not be able to drive my Jeep.

I called Chrysler and was on the phone with them for about and hour and a half. I gave then dates, issues, conversations that took place etc.

Yesterday they touched base with me to let me know that they are elevating my case, which is apparently a good thing for me.

I can't trust my rig any longer. I don't want it back. They asked me what am acceptable solution would be; I let them know.

I need a 4x4 for work. That's one of the reasons I bought what I bought. They tried to stick me in a car. I laughed. It took hours but I got out of there in a 2011 RAM 1500 4x4.

I'll call every day until this is taken care of.

On a side note, I would not recommend that anyone uses Rairdon in Kirkland, WA to service their vehicle.

Sounds like it's getting taken care of and I'm glad they got you a 4x4 loaner it's no jeep but at least it's better than a car!

Voodoo Actual

Sounds like it's getting taken care of and I'm glad they got you a 4x4 loaner it's no jeep but at least it's better than a car!

They aren't being too responsive so we'll see what happens.

It's be nice if they took care if their customers rather than argue with them.

Have any of you considered getting out of your Jeep because of things like this?

I've been researching the Brute conversion and looked at some other kits that turn the JKUR into a short box. Looks like you can build up the double cab Off Road Tacoma's pretty nicely.

Last edited:

Voodoo Actual

Update:

Picked my vehicle up last night.

The rear diff was replaced but nothing else apparently so everything is the same with the exception of the rear diff.

On the phone with Chrysler. Again.

jeeeep

Hooked
wow.. I empathize with you. I kept taking mine to the dealer for a repair they claimed they fixed but all they kept doing was making an adjustment.

After the 4th trip leaving it with them for the same issue I called Chrysler and mentioned lemon law - they overnighted the correct part to the dealer, dealer called me to inform me they now had the correct part and it was repaired that day. never had such great service lol...

Stick with it, they'll try to get out of doing as much as they can, time is their friend so they can get you out of warranty or try to fault you for the damage.

Voodoo Actual

wow.. I empathize with you. I kept taking mine to the dealer for a repair they claimed they fixed but all they kept doing was making an adjustment.

After the 4th trip leaving it with them for the same issue I called Chrysler and mentioned lemon law - they overnighted the correct part to the dealer, dealer called me to inform me they now had the correct part and it was repaired that day. never had such great service lol...

Stick with it, they'll try to get out of doing as much as they can, time is their friend so they can get you out of warranty or try to fault you for the damage.

My Jeep is going to another dealer on Tuesday.

I have been very vocal about these issues and given my opinion on the dealership and on how I am being treated.

I was told I will have a response by Tuesday from the Chrysler escalation team - who I've been dealing with the entire time....

I rest drove a 2014 Tacoma double cab Off Road last night: I was disappointed. In the Tacoma.

Top Bottom