powder coating stock wheels

JKLandon

wanting to powder coat or paint my wheels black. I cant afford aftermarket ones just yet so i want a new look and i know you can do this pretty cheap if you get the right stuff. anyone of a write up or a few photos to show me/ advice i would love it! thanks!

Prime8

JKLandon said:
wanting to powder coat or paint my wheels black. I cant afford aftermarket ones just yet so i want a new look and i know you can do this pretty cheap if you get the right stuff. anyone of a write up or a few photos to show me/ advice i would love it! thanks!

Well, you aren't going to be powder coating yourself unless you have a lot of expensive equipment. I wouldn't recommend powdercoat on wheels anyways. Heavily researched painting my spyderlocks a couple months back. Talked to the powdercoating and paint expert for Caterpillar (his desk is about 20ft from mine...) and he said not to go with powdercoat on wheels. Liquid will be better, that way when you scratch/chip it, you can just touch it up with a spray can. If you want to do it right and have the paint last, take it to a paint shop to have them sand blasted first (they shouldn't charge you more than about $15/wheel). Once they are blasted and CLEANED, you can apply an etchant or a self etching primer. Make sure you talk to a local paint shop that has some expertise, because steel and aluminum etchants are different. Then, apply the primer. May take several coats. Then once dry, apply several light coats, one at a time, of your paint. Make sure there is good CLEAN air flow to insure overspray is removed from the painting area and the paint lays down appropriately.

JKLandon

Plasti-dip is cheap, easy, minimal prep needed(soap and water) and can be removed in minutes by hand. It'll last until you scratch it on a rock. Is this a daily driver or will this get some rubbing? Mine has been on over 8 months and still cant tell its not painted but it also has mostly been on road use

http://wayalife.com/album.php?albumid=108&attachmentid=2724 cost me 2 hours and $20 in plasti-dip

I'm only 16 so yes this is my DD. I rarely go offroad because I havnt put much time in my suspension. so plasti dip sounds like the way to go? where can i find it?

StrizzyChris

where can i find it?

Any hardware store. I bought mine at Tractor Supply Co. but have seen it at other hardware stores. Youll want to do 3 or 4 coats and let is dry for at least an hour after the last coat before you re-install them. Probably take about 5 cans

Manvan

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

We used duplicolor polyurethane
based bedliner. Multiple light coats. Let cure about a day.

Attachments

• 1377492018975.jpg
    1377492018975.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 1377492053864.jpg
    1377492053864.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom