D30 Build, Axle question?

H8MUD

I'm in the process of upgrading my D30. My 07 JK came with 4.10 from the factory. A lot of people suggest that I get the ProRock, but its way out of my budget.

So I'm going with the R-Se Bombshell outer shell and inside tubes. Also putting Eaton eLocker on the front. Already have the gussets welded on.

On the axles, I read about D30 builds that people use RCV's. Question is, don't you want to leave the axles as the weakest point? If something is going to break, let it be the axles instead of something more internal. That way you can just remove the broken axle and make it back home. That's how it was explained to me by a person that I've relied on for my build.

I currently have Toyo A/T II 285-75-17 and will be changing to the same tire in the future, but in 35.12.50x17.

Just wondering what you guys thought.

Last edited:

TheDuff

On the rcv's go with what makes sense to you. I personally agree with what you where told, but it's your money, u can save a lot by just buying chromo shafts with full circle clips;)
That axle kit is interesting, I see what they are trying to do, but really, nearly every axle I've seen bent has been where the tubes meet the pumpkin. To me it doesn't look like that kit will keep that from happening. Sleeving is also up to you, do your research, I know at least on D44's that most sleeves prevent you from being able to run higher spline count shafts. Although it's not a popular choice here, I have personally looked at the artec truss, I may go this route myself if I can find someone with a jig to prevent bending during installation.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Real quick option you should know about before you dump 2k into your D30....I bought a used Rubicon 44 from a local member for $1400 then spent another $100 on the electrical for the Elocker then $200 on reinforcement and was good to go! Haven't had a problem in 5 years. If you can find a used 44 in good shape I would go that route!

H8MUD

On the rcv's go with what makes sense to you. I personally agree with what you where told, but it's your money, u can save a lot by just buying chromo shafts with full circle clips;)
That axle kit is interesting, I see what they are trying to do, but really, nearly every axle I've seen bent has been where the tubes meet the pumpkin. To me it doesn't look like that kit will keep that from happening. Sleeving is also up to you, do your research, I know at least on D44's that most sleeves prevent you from being able to run higher spline count shafts. Although it's not a popular choice here, I have personally looked at the artec truss, I may go this route myself if I can find someone with a jig to prevent bending during installation.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gonna look into the Artec truss. Thanks.

Real quick option you should know about before you dump 2k into your D30....I bought a used Rubicon 44 from a local member for $1400 then spent another $100 on the electrical for the Elocker then $200 on reinforcement and was good to go! Haven't had a problem in 5 years. If you can find a used 44 in good shape I would go that route!

Been looking for a D44, but no luck locally.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I spent more money trying to keep up my D30 than it was worth. It's expensive enough to make a D44 trail ready for 37s. I recommend talking to off-road shops to find a used D44.

Top Bottom