Trying to dial jeep ride in a little, suggestions?

In5ane1

So, I'm sure I have a few things going on.

Here is background:

1.) 2.5" spring lift (no LCA's), Factory shocks and extentions.
2.) 33" Hankook Dynapro MT's, believe they are the 8 ply. I run these around 26-27 psi.
3.) After market aluminum wheels with proper backspacing. Lug Centric.

What I'm getting as far as ride quality:

1.) Slight shimmy in steering wheel around 40-45 mph
2.) Post lift increase in steering road noise/vibration
3.) Slightly bumpier ride coupled with the above symptoms.
4.) Some bump steer and flightiness

What I've done:

1.) Purchased Hub Spacers to help center wheels when installing.
2.) Loosened and retightened all control arms and track bars after lift.
3.) Have tires balanced several times, finally the last shop told me that you could see a slight out of roundness in maybe 2 or 3 of the tires.
4.) After some reading, I removed the rotor clips which helped some with the ride quality.
5.) Had dealer look at it and their "lift guy" drove it. He said that it drives better than some of the kits they install at the factory. (I have a rough country lift, that surprised me.) He suggested that I get better shocks to handle the stiffer springs better as well as upgrade steering stabilizer.

My questions:

1.) Would an upgraded steering stabilizer help? Dual Stabilizers?
2.) Would lower control arms only help the steering flightiness and not the road vibration? I've seen several times WAYOLIFE post that for a 2.5" kit, the factory LCA's are fine.
3.) Would upgraded shocks help?
4.) Do I just wait until tires are worn out and get better set or run AT's?
5.) Is this typical behavior of a slightly lifted jeep jku with 33 MT's?

Didn't want to post multiple times and wanted or HOPE I gave enough info to help those IN THE KNOW!

TIA!!!

Sounds like you are getting pretty basic lifted jeep symptoms! I would recommend a good set of shocks and a stabilizer. I upgraded to the fox ats and teraflex tuned fox shocks and it was night and day. A set of $85 shocks should be enough though. Also, check the angle on your track bar. Is your axle in the center if your jeep or is it moved to one side?

In5ane1

Sounds like you are getting pretty basic lifted jeep symptoms! I would recommend a good set of shocks and a stabilizer. I upgraded to the fox ats and teraflex tuned fox shocks and it was night and day. A set of $85 shocks should be enough though. Also, check the angle on your track bar. Is your axle in the center if your jeep or is it moved to one side?

I was kinda thinking my "sport" shocks just aren't cutting it...

As far as Track Bars, I did a bracket in the rear and it pretty well centered it. The front is slightly (maybe .5" total offset towars driver side).

Thanks for the reply.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Process of elimination provided you've loosened then retorqued all suspension components. Hub spacers to center wheel? Take them off and then test drive. Next see if you can borrow a set of tires off a buddies jeep just to go for a drive. If its your tires causing the woes this will let u know before you start throwing money at problem.

In5ane1

Process of elimination provided you've loosened then retorqued all suspension components. Hub spacers to center wheel? Take them off and then test drive. Next see if you can borrow a set of tires off a buddies jeep just to go for a drive. If its your tires causing the woes this will let u know before you start throwing money at problem.

Yes they help center the wheels when you run lug centric wheels. Google it if you are curious. Its nothing that would affect ride. Brand is Gorilla.

I may see about swapping tires with someone.

Question on what the guy at dealership said about shocks, does stiffer springs ride better with aftermarket shocks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Smitty

I second the trying other wheels. Try to find some fairly new moabs or sahara wheels with factory tires or ATs of the same size. If you swap yours with a friend for testing you will quickly learn a great deal about where your issues are. Correcting the castor will help with steering.

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 what MKjeep recommends

getting correct length shocks may help better than using shock extensions.

no need to replace the stock SS unless it's truly damaged then stock replacement it fine. Don't get fooled that SS corrects issues, that's not what it's purpose is. I have 3.5" lift w/35's and I can drive it fine without the SS - I still have the original stock SS.

LCA's will help if you need to correct your caster, did you check it post lift and is it correct?

MT's will bite more than an AT, try airing them up a little more.

Keep eliminating all possible existing items before you spend $$$ on the unknown. once you find the root cause hopefully it'll be easier on the budget.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Question on what the guy at dealership said about shocks, does stiffer springs ride better with aftermarket shocks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stiffer springs ride stiffer period. If you have load range E tires those are stiff tires aswell and can add to a rough ride. I was mainly referring to your 40-45mph shimmy in my prior post on what to look for and check first. Rough country springs are garbage, most likely the worst riding springs you can get. I've ridden in a jk with a 4in RC lift, rode like total crap. If I were you, I'd look at other spring options with shocks that complement that spring.

Last edited:
Stiffer springs ride stiffer period. If you have load range E tires those are stiff tires aswell and can add to a rough ride. I was mainly referring to your 40-45mph shimmy in my prior post on what to look for and check first. Rough country springs are garbage, most likely the worst riding springs you can get. I've ridden in a jk with a 4in RC lift, rode like total crap. If I were you, I'd look at other spring options with shocks that complement that spring.

I second this. You need different coils springs. Get a pair of evo plush coils it will be like a whole new jeep

In5ane1

I second this. You need different coils springs. Get a pair of evo plush coils it will be like a whole new jeep

Unfortunately this will be a while. Was trying to build in stages for functionality. Next upgrade needs to be shocks to match lift height, so I can get away from extensions. I feel this may help some.

Opinions on shocks is a whole different animal...just like springs, bumpers, winches, etc...

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Unfortunately this will be a while. Was trying to build in stages for functionality. Next upgrade needs to be shocks to match lift height, so I can get away from extensions. I feel this may help some.

Opinions on shocks is a whole different animal...just like springs, bumpers, winches, etc...

Some general all around good shocks are bilstein 5100's, they won't really break the bank and work pretty well with any springs. I have run these on 3 different set-ups ( BB/ 4in superlift/4in Teraflex) and do well for the price.
Your extensions will not affect ride quality, the shock will. If you are running the el cheapo hydro shocks , it will definately help to put some gas charged on. Now , the Rubi model shocks are gas charged, as well as some X and Sahara models that come with a heavy duty suspension package. Sometimes members give these away or sell them cheap when they move on to a susp. lift. The non rubi gas charged are black but do say gas charged on them, the rubi's are red. May wanna check for sale section and or jeepers in your area.

Ex in For sale section- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11916-OEM-parts-2014-Rubicon-500-miles

Last edited:
Top Bottom