Rancho 9000xl shocks

Tyler02

Has anyone ran the rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks? If so what's your opinion on them? I am really considering these due to their adjustability.

Tyler02

Well I'm gonna have to wait till December before I buy some. I was just trying to get an idea of how well they ride and how durable they are. The RC shocks that came with my lift didn't last a year before they blew the seals and now ever little crack feels like I hit a huge pothole.

Skid_Kid

Has anyone ran the rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks? If so what's your opinion on them? I am really considering these due to their adjustability.

I bought them, for my rig, but just sold them to go a different route. I have run them in bigger heaver vehicles (F350). I highly recommend them.

Sent from my PRC-119

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler

To answer your question Tyler I have them, they pair nicely with the EVO plush ride coils. The adjustability is nice and they ride very nice.

Despite what some (my so called friends Overlander, TTFHell and Skid_Marc) people will have you believe I have tested them, most recently in the desert going about 60-65 and they performed better than expected.

Tyler02

To answer your question Tyler I have them, they pair nicely with the EVO plush ride coils. The adjustability is nice and they ride very nice.

Despite what some (my so called friends Overlander, TTFHell and Skid_Marc) people will have you believe I have tested them, most recently in the desert going about 60-65 and they performed better than expected.

Thanks that's what I was wondering. I still have my RC springs in but I figured these shocks would help a lot with the ride.

ttfhell

60-65 kilometers maybe....

Rancho

Caught the Bug

Nice!! :beer:

murray-meg

I've been running the 9000's for over a year now and honestly they have stood up to a real beating. The rear shocks have sustained the most abuse and have been dented in pretty good from backing up on very steep obstacles when the rear end is buried in the rocks but other than knocking off the knobs they are still working well and not leaking at all.

Now, knobs mentioned, that's the weak link. You can't run the shock upside down with the adjustment knob on top. It must be ran with the shaft up and the body down. You can turn the knob toward the axle and keep it out of harms way but it can be a little difficult to get to though. Once you get to know the adjustments you should just be able to reach in and adjust it without looking. Other thing you may have to consider is that since the shock has a larger body, you might run into interference issues with an aftermarket rear trackbar bracket. I have a Currie lower trackbar bracket and it forced me to outboard the shock to the outside of the lower shock mount in order to clear the mount. You may have different results depending on your bracket. Just a heads up.

Performance wise I'd say they are hands down much better IMO than lets say, 5100's. However they are probably not as good as Fox 2.0's though. Your springs may dictate a little influence on them ultimately though. When I first got them I used to vary from 5-1 when crawling and 9 on the road but quite frankly I leave them at 9 all the time now. They are a good overall shock but if you zip down a really heavily wash boarded road the recovery rate isn't the best and you will bottom out here and there especially after they heat up a bit. Other than that I'm really pleased with them and for the money they have served me very well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Great review.
On the highlightesd part that is where a monotube like our RS7000MT, a 5100 or the Fox would shine.

I've been running the 9000's for over a year now and honestly they have stood up to a real beating. The rear shocks have sustained the most abuse and have been dented in pretty good from backing up on very steep obstacles when the rear end is buried in the rocks but other than knocking off the knobs they are still working well and not leaking at all.

Now, knobs mentioned, that's the weak link. You can't run the shock upside down with the adjustment knob on top. It must be ran with the shaft up and the body down. You can turn the knob toward the axle and keep it out of harms way but it can be a little difficult to get to though. Once you get to know the adjustments you should just be able to reach in and adjust it without looking. Other thing you may have to consider is that since the shock has a larger body, you might run into interference issues with an aftermarket rear trackbar bracket. I have a Currie lower trackbar bracket and it forced me to outboard the shock to the outside of the lower shock mount in order to clear the mount. You may have different results depending on your bracket. Just a heads up.

Performance wise I'd say they are hands down much better IMO than lets say, 5100's. However they are probably not as good as Fox 2.0's though. Your springs may dictate a little influence on them ultimately though. When I first got them I used to vary from 5-1 when crawling and 9 on the road but quite frankly I leave them at 9 all the time now. They are a good overall shock but if you zip down a really heavily wash boarded road the recovery rate isn't the best and you will bottom out here and there especially after they heat up a bit. Other than that I'm really pleased with them and for the money they have served me very well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you.

Tyler02

Thanks for the review Murray-Meg. I shouldn't have an issue with the knobs getting knocked off. There isn't too many rocks around where I live. Mostly just wooded trails. I have read where some reviews said that the 9000 made their jeep ride really smooth on the road and that's what I'm going for. I do a lot of highway driving and I would really like a comfortable ride. These rough country 2.0 shocks have blown the seals in less than a year and the ride is horrible, to the point I am almost worried something is going to fall off due to how hard the bumps are.

Top Bottom