Reducing the heat build up in engine compartment

Graywolf

Other than cuting the hood and installing vents, what kind of things do you do to reduce the heat from the 3.6 in the engine compartment. I was thinking about removing the mud/water guard from the front. I have noticed that quite a few rigs here have done that. Also the guards from under the front fenders. I ran my old CJ 7 without mud or water guards and didn't have any problems. But with al the electronics under the hood, I'm not sure what will happen. I don't do water much, other than Fordyce and the few spots on the Rubicon. But winters here in Idaho are uasully hub deep in snow. Any thoughts or ideas.
Thanks

Millerj87

That will alleviate a lot of heat but just remember removing inner fenders and front air dam allows free flowing air through the engine compartment which will result in hood flutter so you'll also need to remove the hood spring or I've had good luck with daystars hood wranglers which replace factory hood tie downs... I run no air dam or inner fenders, at 45 mph I would get hood flutter (before the hood wranglers)

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

Graywolf

Thanks for the info, never thought about hood flutter. I'll look into the billet tie downs.
Thanks again for the reply.

Millerj87

No prob man just wanted to help you avoid what most of us find the hard way cuz it's sketchy as hell goin down the road seeing your hood lift up and down

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

SquareLJ

My personal suggestion is just to put vents in the hood. I had to do that with my Jeep and you can literally see the heat rising out of the vents. The 4.0litre is just terrible with heat. As long as you take your time, the cuts are not noticeable from the outside. Just my :twocents:. I did the vents and an aluminum radiator. My cooling issues are long gone.

MC2003TJ

I put the poison spyder hood loover plate and it works very well. My engine compartment used to get so hot that you could not grab the hood prop rod. Now you can grab it with no problem. Installed in one hour and looks great. Make sure your coolant mixture is correct for the freezing point that you need to maintain. In so cal I use Lucas oil super coolant additive and about 25% antifreeze. I left the mud flaps on the inner fenders in place. Heat rises

Graywolf

Thanks for the idea on using the hood vent. I don't have any overheating problems, The engine runs about 190 to 198 all the time. And here in Idaho antifreeze is a must. The next 5 months will be on averagr -10 to +15. It is just the heat from the engine bay stays in the bay. The first time I wheeled it and was going to air up afterwards, the quick connect was so hot on the compressor I had to use gloves to touch it. And your right about heat rising. The vent makes a lot of sense to me know. Thanks again guys for all the feedback.

Top Bottom