To lift or not to lift

Mitrig

Hey guys so I have had it up to hear:mad: with seeing all of these lifted jeeps. I am done i am just fed up. My insurance allows for a minor lift now so guess what I am doing? Yes lifting! Ok so i have never lifted a jeep, my current suspension is a stock rubicon set up. I was looking to get all the info i can before i purchase a lift. To begin with i am on a budget since i am a university student so obviously school in canada is expensive and **ck.

OK so the one thing i do know that i want to get something along the lines of king off roading suspension http://www.quadratec.com/products/16270_002X_A_PG.htm

I won't be swapping out bumpers that one is for sure, possibly cutting to a stubby in due time. But until then I will keep the stock bumpers. My main goal is to get a suspension that will take a beating and keep on going.

So as a noob i have prayed to the wheeling gods every time i make a run on the local pre runner trails with the guys and they seem to hate me so i have to ask you all. What do i need other then the shocks and springs to complete the lift? What needs to be swapped out etc... If something doesn't need to be swapped out I won't be swapping it until it breaks to be honest. My goal with MILO is to run it with this set up till my motor gives out then swap to a 3.0L desiel out of the dodge sprinter since I adore those motors, i know their are many other choices but i was going to go for either a 2.7 or 3.0 then buy another rig just to wheel and keep this batboy as my DD since by then I should have gotten rid of my sumer car so cash won't be a problem and I should have my engineering job.

So guys I want to have this set up on my rig so i can still run the pre runner trails and do some light wheeling nothing drastic really, all the trails around where i live i have made through with my stock set up only need to use my recovery kit once.

So this is my rig 2007 JKU "aka Milo"

I want to give her a 1.5-2 inch lift and keep my GY duratracs. IMG_2052.jpg IMG_2689.jpg IMG_4385.jpg IMG_5890.jpg

Please help me!!!!!! It wasn't until i parked beside the black jeep on my way to practice did i finally just lose it! SO now i am calling for aid from all my fellow jeepers! Help a student figure it out! I would take donations ;)

suicideking

Other than springs and shocks, control arms will make it handle better. There are 8 control arms. Most only replace the front and rear lowers. An adjustable trackbar will also help to make the geometry 'right'.

For 1.5", I think it's Teraflex that makes a performance leveling kit. Not sure who makes 2", but plenty make 2.5". I started with a 2.5" RK (Rock Krawler) lift and was very happy with how it turned out.

Atch

Hey guys so I have had it up to hear:mad: with seeing all of these lifted jeeps. I am done i am just fed up. My insurance allows for a minor lift now so guess what I am doing? Yes lifting! Ok so i have never lifted a jeep, my current suspension is a stock rubicon set up. I was looking to get all the info i can before i purchase a lift. To begin with i am on a budget since i am a university student so obviously school in canada is expensive and **ck.

OK so the one thing i do know that i want to get something along the lines of king off roading suspension http://www.quadratec.com/products/16270_002X_A_PG.htm

I won't be swapping out bumpers that one is for sure, possibly cutting to a stubby in due time. But until then I will keep the stock bumpers. My main goal is to get a suspension that will take a beating and keep on going.

So as a noob i have prayed to the wheeling gods every time i make a run on the local pre runner trails with the guys and they seem to hate me so i have to ask you all. What do i need other then the shocks and springs to complete the lift? What needs to be swapped out etc... If something doesn't need to be swapped out I won't be swapping it until it breaks to be honest. My goal with MILO is to run it with this set up till my motor gives out then swap to a 3.0L desiel out of the dodge sprinter since I adore those motors, i know their are many other choices but i was going to go for either a 2.7 or 3.0 then buy another rig just to wheel and keep this batboy as my DD since by then I should have gotten rid of my sumer car so cash won't be a problem and I should have my engineering job.

So guys I want to have this set up on my rig so i can still run the pre runner trails and do some light wheeling nothing drastic really, all the trails around where i live i have made through with my stock set up only need to use my recovery kit once.

So this is my rig 2007 JKU "aka Milo"

I want to give her a 1.5-2 inch lift and keep my GY duratracs. View attachment 55219 View attachment 55220 View attachment 55221 View attachment 55222

Please help me!!!!!! It wasn't until i parked beside the black jeep on my way to practice did i finally just lose it! SO now i am calling for aid from all my fellow jeepers! Help a student figure it out! I would take donations ;)

Since you want just a little lift on a minimal budget, I'd suggest just getting a budget boost. Anything more than that can start adding up in a hurry. I'd say a budget boost and some front discos would be great for your needs.

Mitrig

Other than springs and shocks, control arms will make it handle better. There are 8 control arms. Most only replace the front and rear lowers. An adjustable trackbar will also help to make the geometry 'right'.

For 1.5", I think it's Teraflex that makes a performance leveling kit. Not sure who makes 2", but plenty make 2.5". I started with a 2.5" RK (Rock Krawler) lift and was very happy with how it turned out.

See i know i can afford to go big if i wanted too but my limitation is on my insurance at the moment, i could spend a decent amount on a 2.5, i looked at a set up by KING and one by old man emu as my two top option thus far but have been getting persuaded to look at a possible EVO kit and go big one time.

Since you want just a little lift on a minimal budget, I'd suggest just getting a budget boost. Anything more than that can start adding up in a hurry. I'd say a budget boost and some front discos would be great for your needs.

I will have to check out what BB are out there and possibly follow in the foots steps of everyone else and go big later on. I know terralfex has a good BB, has anyone run these, I'm in engineering so i know that adding spacers on anything will cause more stress and intern wear and tear. I know i need shocks for sure since they are going to go, so would you say with a BB i should swap my springs at the same time? And would i need new shocks to compensate for the length addition in height?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Agreed with that. Start with spacers or basic springs and then you can upgrade to Kings when you have some more $$$.

Mitrig

Agreed with that. Start with spacers or basic springs and then you can upgrade to Kings when you have some more $$$.

So say I was to get a spacer kit from terra flex and swap my shocks to kings? From the videos I've seen they relocate the shocks so essentially I could keep stock placement and run the 2 inch kings? Or no? I know I need to replace my shocks in the next month or so so would that setup work? If I bb the truck and swaped to king shocks?

Tigrcky

So say I was to get a spacer kit from terra flex and swap my shocks to kings? From the videos I've seen they relocate the shocks so essentially I could keep stock placement and run the 2 inch kings? Or no? I know I need to replace my shocks in the next month or so so would that setup work? If I bb the truck and swaped to king shocks?

the taraflex bb kit has shock extensions which works but get new shocks and if you want good ride quality just forget the spacers and go with 2.5 inch taller springs, or just save your money and get the DTD with EVOlever :D:yup:

Mitrig

the taraflex bb kit has shock extensions which works but get new shocks and if you want good ride quality just forget the spacers and go with 2.5 inch taller springs, or just save your money and get the DTD with EVOlever :D:yup:

Yea I noticed. Hmm may have to look at that set up and maybe go for that but then would I still new disconects correct? To adjust for the new geometry? And of course you would want me to get an Evo! Ahah

Tigrcky

Yea I noticed. Hmm may have to look at that set up and maybe go for that but then would I still new disconects correct? To adjust for the new geometry? And of course you would want me to get an Evo! Ahah

tara flex includes new rear sway connects and you use the old rear on the front there is a video on the taraflex channel on youtube look up the 2.5 bb on it and you will see a whole how to!

catahoula

Caught the Bug

tara flex includes new rear sway connects and you use the old rear on the front there is a video on the taraflex channel on youtube look up the 2.5 bb on it and you will see a whole how to!

It's Teraflex.:D

Mitrig

Watched it!!! I guess it is an option. I think I may go with the teraflex bb with the king socks keeping my stock rubi springs till I go all out on an Evo. Watched so many videos and I had to admit Ricky Evo is where it is at. May have to see it in person to seal the deal. But forsure that just jumped on my list for a final product. How about you get an Evo and when we go wheeling we swap rides and if I like it I'll keep driving away ahaha

Tigrcky

It's Teraflex.:D

whoa im being graded on how i type in a forum? almost making me wanna mess up on purpose!! ;)

Watched it!!! I guess it is an option. I think I may go with the teraflex bb with the king socks keeping my stock rubi springs till I go all out on an Evo. Watched so many videos and I had to admit Ricky Evo is where it is at. May have to see it in person to seal the deal. But forsure that just jumped on my list for a final product. How about you get an Evo and when we go wheeling we swap rides and if I like it I'll keep driving away ahaha

yeah thats what im doing just saving up for Evo stuff im convinced that it is the best all the way around :yup:

Mitrig

The Teraflex BB is pretty complete. Ever thought of a TF leveling kit?

Yea man but I do was a decent lift out of it. Seems everyone is saying teraflex for a cheap boost how about the rough country boost anyone running that?

Top Bottom