Toyo Open Country A/T II vs the Open Country A/T II XT

Lumber

Has anyone compared these 2 tires? I know the XT are supposed to have a deeper tread pattern and a more aggressive pattern but I can't seem to locate any pics of the XT's

Thanks for the help.

Lumber

Ok so I found a pic of the XT's. Has anyone tried the XT's and what have your experiences been?

BTW, the pic was a Wayolife pic posted on a Hummer forum!!!:shock::eek:

Lumber

Yes those, except on the website it says something about selecting certain Extreme sizes (XT) that have a more aggressive tread pattern and shoulder design. I was just wondering if the differences are big or little. I've had the original A/T's on my Dodge Ram for 5 years and am extremely impressed with them. Just wondering if the A/T II perform similarly.

jkrossi

Hmm I wish I could answer that question for you. But I am also extremely happy with the tires. I cant compare the two but if I like mine and you like your then I would have to say you probably wont go wrong with a set. I have mine mounted on the stock wheels and have no complaints yet.

jeffd

it is amazing how much bigger the 285/75-17 xtremes are then the 285/0-17 LT version. I had both mounted on a rim to see if I could run the 285/75-17 xtremes and they were too big for my 2" lifted jkur. They looked great but would require a taller lift and they are heavy.at least 12 lbs a tire heaver. The specs show them at 33.9" and the others at 32.8 but there is more of a difference then that. If you have the lift I would go with the extremes.

jkrossi

it is amazing how much bigger the 285/75-17 xtremes are then the 285/0-17 LT version. I had both mounted on a rim to see if I could run the 285/75-17 xtremes and they were too big for my 2" lifted jkur. They looked great but would require a taller lift and they are heavy.at least 12 lbs a tire heaver. The specs show them at 33.9" and the others at 32.8 but there is more of a difference then that. If you have the lift I would go with the extremes.

Yeah have a 2.5" lift and have the 35/12.50-17 extreme AT2s and they tuck perfect with a tiny tiny rub on the front fenders at full flex but only rub if the wheels are turned.

Rccrwlr

Yes those, except on the website it says something about selecting certain Extreme sizes (XT) that have a more aggressive tread pattern and shoulder design. I was just wondering if the differences are big or little. I've had the original A/T's on my Dodge Ram for 5 years and am extremely impressed with them. Just wondering if the A/T II perform similarly.

XT only comes in what looks like 285 and up
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384576204.780673.jpg

Sorry for the crappy crop. Not a photoshop expert

1979 Jeep CJ5 - RCCRWLR
2008 Jeep JKUR - JK RED

Rccrwlr

So to follow this up. I talked with the Les Schwab guy while I was there for other issues. He ended up calling the Toyo purchasing agent because he couldn't find the difference. The XT IS different to the normal AT. They changed the rubber to a harder compound due to stability issues with the normal AT compound with the bigger tires. Same tread pattern just bigger on the bigger tire

--Rccrwlr

reissc1

1387474056295.jpg

This is a picture of my 285/75 on 17's. I love them, but I have never ridden on the others to give a comparison. They are pretty stuff though. They are E rated. I had to keep playing around with the pressure to find something that was comfortable.

I wouldn't hesitate to get them again when these where out, and I love how they look. This is on a 2.5 aev lift for reference.

Sent from my SM-N900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffd

View attachment 60870

This is a picture of my 285/75 on 17's. I love them, but I have never ridden on the others to give a comparison. They are pretty stuff though. They are E rated. I had to keep playing around with the pressure to find something that was comfortable.

I wouldn't hesitate to get them again when these where out, and I love how they look. This is on a 2.5 aev lift for reference.

Sent from my SM-N900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

put them around 28psi and you notice a big difference in comfort.

iflyhi22002

Installed my 285/75r18 toyo open country at 2's. Installed measure exactly 34" tall, this is with a TF leveling kit and 1.5" wheel spacers. I have a 2.5" lift waiting to be installed. I do rub on the plastic air damn only at full turn... But I sure wouldn't do any trails as is. Spare won't fit on carrier either without a spacer or extension. 1387659192224.jpg 1387659204667.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffd

285/75-17 on stock rims with 1.5" spacers. 2" aev lift. Rides like stock smooth and quiet.
IMG_20131226_130905_429_zpsc15d9d74.jpg

IMG_20131226_130843_930_zps3471ed78.jpg

matt1171

The Toyo AT2s do not come in different versions of the same sizes. It's just the larger sizes are labeled Extreme which means they have a deeper and slightly more aggressive tread than the smaller sizes. They also have a lesser warranty. 50,000 miles instead of 60,000, I think. I ran the AT2s in 35/12.50 size and they are great tires!!

jeffd

The Toyo AT2s do not come in different versions of the same sizes. It's just the larger sizes are labeled Extreme which means they have a deeper and slightly more aggressive tread than the smaller sizes. They also have a lesser warranty. 50,000 miles instead of 60,000, I think. I ran the AT2s in 35/12.50 size and they are great tires!!

while that is mostly true the 285/70-17 comes in both P and LT versions. as do the 265/70-17's and 245/70 etc.

jeffd

Yes, but tread is the same and they aren't the Extreme tread.

actually they have less tread and less side wall rubber. I just replaced my lt285/70-17 which are not extreme stamped with 285/75-17 the tread is the same altho you get 17/32 vs 16.3/32" tread depth and the side tread rubber is slightly more aggressive but not much. The P version in same size only has 13.4/32 tread and even a milder side tread. The basic tread design is the same tho just deeper and a little wider voids.
none exreme in LT version
IMG_20131118_160809_924_zps3e217a75.jpg

IMG_20131227_085133_000_zpsef712450.jpg

Strangely enough my 285/75-16's that I had on my first jeep were made in Japan but my last two sets have been made in USA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom