Front Coilovers with Rear Springs

GreenBean

Hey guys,

I'm trying to do some research here. I'm currently trying to built my rig on to Dana 60's with 37's (possible 39-40's).

The next stop is coilovers and I'm trying to clarify some things. I really like the Evo bolt on Coilover system. However, I have a two door and I want to stretch my wheelbase. Rock Crawler has good system but it has standard shocks and springs in the rear.

How would this affect wheeling characteristics and on road driving vs a full coil over system? Also, how hard would it be to modify the Evo bolt on Coilover system to stretch my wheelbase enough to effectively affect my wheeling capability?

rtguy1

The rear bolt on kit brackets will be useless for you. You need to mount them differently for a stretch. There are several ways to do this including thru the tub. Just order the front kit and buy coilovers only for the rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

I'm trying to do some research here. I'm currently trying to built my rig on to Dana 60's with 37's (possible 39-40's).

The next stop is coilovers and I'm trying to clarify some things. I really like the Evo bolt on Coilover system. However, I have a two door and I want to stretch my wheelbase. Rock Crawler has good system but it has standard shocks and springs in the rear.

How would this affect wheeling characteristics and on road driving vs a full coil over system? Also, how hard would it be to modify the Evo bolt on Coilover system to stretch my wheelbase enough to effectively affect my wheeling capability?

There's more to consider than just coil overs and standard coils being that not all coils and shocks provide the same ride. The EVO coil overs will provide a much softer ride than RK coils and shocks and if I could guess, that will give you a funky ride even around town. I don't know if I'd recommend it.

2007 JKU

Banned
FYI RK is coming out with a front and rear coilover kit with bypass shocks so may want to wait a little bit.

noroad

I as well would like to know who is running with just front coil overs and how they like it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
FYI RK is coming out with a front and rear coilover kit with bypass shocks so may want to wait a little bit.

Ummm, they've had fronts for a long time now and have been saying they are coming out with rears just as long. How do I know, I ask every time I see them at places like SEMA :rolleyes2:

I as well would like to know who is running with just front coil overs and how they like it?

Over the last couple of years, I have known a few people but, it was always short lived. The front coil overs will get you driving a lot faster and you will see the limitations of the rears in a real hurry.

GreenBean

There's more to consider than just coil overs and standard coils being that not all coils and shocks provide the same ride. The EVO coil overs will provide a much softer ride than RK coils and shocks and if I could guess, that will give you a funky ride even around town. I don't know if I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I am going to go with what rtguy said. However, I might just go with the full evo kit and save the stretch for later. What does wayalife think of this?

I've only seen the evo coilovers on a two door when it's stretched. what will the improvement of coilovers been on a two door over a long arm kit?

Atch

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I am going to go with what rtguy said. However, I might just go with the full evo kit and save the stretch for later. What does wayalife think of this?

I've only seen the evo coilovers on a two door when it's stretched. what will the improvement of coilovers been on a two door over a long arm kit?

Over a long arm kit? You'd want coilovers AND a long arm setup for the best all around setup.

rtguy1

Search for tjfits build. He has a 13' 2door on evo high clearance long arms and evo spec king coil overs.

captain crunch

I have an 07 2 door x that i had a fabtech 3" spacer lift. I couldnt afford to go coilover front and back at same time so i put the evo bolt ons in front and evo 3" plush ride coils in back. I have had it this way for about 2 months and it drives great on road and i have only taken it to the trail one time so far but i did dishpan springs and holcomb creek that day and it did awesome. I tend to drive slow and like to crawl on rocks but when i did drive fast on the dirt roads i could tell that the back didnt absorb as well as front. The front would suck it up and the back would kind of hop. But i dont regret it at all and i can add coilovers to the rear later if i want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GreenBean

Over a long arm kit? You'd want coilovers AND a long arm setup for the best all around setup.

hahah true I meant a true coil long arm

Captain That's another great idea I haven't thought of

Last edited:
Top Bottom