DTD + Evo Lever vs. Bolt-On Coil Overs

Jeeper Jr.

My Question to the Wayalife community...
How much better is the DTD + Evo Lever set up (that Moby has) vs the Bolt-on Coil Over (like RubiCat)?

From what I can gather, the DTD + EVO Lever offers more articulation but how much more exactly? What other advantages does it have over the Bolt-On system? All other things equal (weight, gearing, tire size, etc.) how much of a difference will it make on the trail? Are there any on road differences?

Pretty much, how much more capable is the DTD + Evo Lever and why?

Thanks in advance for the help and wisdom.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you wanna go fast get the bolt ons. If you wanna go really fast get the DTD/lever. If you wanna go really really fast buy an airplane.

Last edited:

turbineguy

My Question to the Wayalife community...
How much better is the DTD + Evo Lever set up (that Moby has) vs the Bolt-on Coil Over (like RubiCat)?

From what I can gather, the DTD + EVO Lever offers more articulation but how much more exactly? What other advantages does it have over the Bolt-On system? All other things equal (weight, gearing, tire size, etc.) how much of a difference will it make on the trail? Are there any on road differences?

Pretty much, how much more capable is the DTD + Evo Lever and why?

Thanks in advance for the help and wisdom.

I've been doing nothing but researching coilovers the past two weeks. The reason I'm leaning toward the lever is because of the axle bracket clearance. If you crawl this is probably very important.

GCM 2

OverlanderJK pretty much sums it up in his post above.

Front and Rear EVO Bolt-on: For 99% of the people wheeling a jeep, the bolt-on coilover set up is actually perfect. The EVO bolt-on system was designed to get guys into an affordable coilover setup that offers exceptional ride quality both on road and off road, great wheel travel and articulation and is less maintenance intensive than the DTD. This truly is an incredible suspension for the price and will out do any traditional shock and coil spring package out there, and probably any other bolt-on coilover kit sold. It also offers complete on car adjustability of ride height.

Front Double Throw Down/Rear EVO Lever DTD: For the other 1% who live in areas that actually have the room needed to drive offroad at high speeds for great distances and will see their suspension fully cycling through deep whoops and ruts, the Double Throw Down is the answer to keeping the tires filling holes and staying in contact with the surface. It offers a true 14" (strap limited) of vertical wheel travel. The DTD and EVO Lever is the top of the line, no budget limit, stuff that can be used for daily driving, serious hard weekend wheeling and all the way up to racing. This also offered complete on car ride height adjustability of ride height, as well as three tube/three stage compression and rebound adjustments. I will also add that many guys buy this set up because it is currently the best you can get for a jeep and it looks great, even if they will never explore the full potential of the system because of the location that they wheel in, they still want to be able to say they have the best.

GCM 2

I've been doing nothing but researching coilovers the past two weeks. The reason I'm leaning toward the lever is because of the axle bracket clearance. If you crawl this is probably very important.

Well the rear EVO Lever is required to run the ultra high clearance set up, but the real benefit of the EVO Lever is you obtain the true 14" inches of wheel travel without having to cut into the jeeps floor pan like traditional coilover set ups which would have a super tall coilover sticking up into the cab/cargo area. But you are correct, the ground clearance you gain is phenomenal with the high clearance kit from EVO mfg.

turbineguy

Well the rear EVO Lever is required to run the ultra high clearance set up, but the real benefit of the EVO Lever is you obtain the true 14" inches of wheel travel without having to cut into the jeeps floor pan like traditional coilover set ups which would have a super tall coilover sticking up into the cab/cargo area. But you are correct, the ground clearance you gain is phenomenal with the high clearance kit from EVO mfg.

So the run of the mill lever system doesn't give you more clearance? Unfortunately the website is a bit unclear. To me it looked like the lever set up didn't use the stock brackets, they were mounted on top of the axle tubes. I really need to call Evo sometime.

GCM 2

So the run of the mill lever system doesn't give you more clearance? Unfortunately the website is a bit unclear. To me it looked like the lever set up didn't use the stock brackets, they were mounted on top of the axle tubes. I really need to call Evo sometime.

Sorry if I was not clear. The EVO lever is capable of running either the single coilover shock set up or can be run with the additional three tube by-pass shock asking it the Double Throw Down set up. Regardless of which one you choose to run, the EVO lever must use the high clearance brackets, so you were correct. The EVO lever does not give you the additional ground clearance at the axle, it is really just the high clearance bracket of the lower control arms that does this

Edit: these are the best shots I can find of mine that show the clearance is really gained at the lower control arms attaching at the axle

image-1016932842.jpg

image-2618035802.jpg

Last edited:

turbineguy

Sorry if I was not clear. The EVO lever is capable of running either the single coilover shock set up or can be run with the additional three tube by-pass shock asking it the Double Throw Down set up. Regardless of which one you choose to run, the EVO lever must use the high clearance brackets, so you were correct. The EVO lever does not give you the additional ground clearance at the axle, it is really just the high clearance bracket of the lower control arms that does this

Edit: these are the best shots I can find of mine that show the clearance is really gained at the lower control arms attaching at the axle

I got you now. I guess I was talking more about the lever vs the bolt on kits. All the pictures I see seem to show that the rear bolt on coilover hang a little be lower and rear of the control arm brackets.

Icons bolt on
P3262849_ed__77802_zoom.jpg

Evos bolt on
Capture_medium.JPG

compared to what I assume is the stock Evo lever (without the high clearance kit)
EVO-LEVER-06.jpg

I still think I am going to go with the Evo lever in the rear and pair it up with the Icon bolt on's in front. I'm hoping I can use Icons coilovers with the lever. Add to the list of things to research and spend money on.

ChaosNein

the rear bolt-on coil-overs do mount at the bottom of the rear axle tube. But the EVO rear LCG Bolt-On Coil-Overs do utilize the EVO RockStars which do raise that mounting point approx 1.5" higher than the standard mounting point.

As far as you using Icon coil overs with the EVOLever, I am not sure that they will work. The KING Coil-Overs that are used are build especially for the EVOLever.

turbineguy

the rear bolt-on coil-overs do mount at the bottom of the rear axle tube. But the EVO rear LCG Bolt-On Coil-Overs do utilize the EVO RockStars which do raise that mounting point approx 1.5" higher than the standard mounting point.

As far as you using Icon coil overs with the EVOLever, I am not sure that they will work. The KING Coil-Overs that are used are build especially for the EVOLever.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I just really don't want blue coil springs! I might have to suck it up.

ttfhell

Stupid question but why would you want to run a coilover not designed or tested for the lever instead of the one intensively tested with it as a system?
EVO spent a lot if time and money working with King. Substituting a different part doesn't make much sense to me.
As far as the difference goes between the two at speed its night and day. I spent a week trying to keep up with the double throw down guys with my bolt ons. Mostly I could but this entailed bottoming out lots of times and beating the shit out of my jeep. We regularly hit 75 on single lane dirt roads and did 85-90plus a few times.
Then the big bumps came on the Vegas to Reno Race portion and then I couldn't hang. I was getting beat up at 50-60 and Mel was doing 70-80. A couple guys almost ate shit, through a ditch that Mel and Cindy as a passenger don't even remember crossing. Matter of fact the jeep in front of me slid through the ditch and through the berm off the course. That right there is the difference. You can race with one, the other you can't.

There is a $10k difference between the them as well. If the coil color is really a problem for you save your money. Buy the bolt on kit and paint the coils. I only say that as the guys that are going to truly use the DTD and Evo Lever for its intended use wouldn't care if it was hot pink, blue, or purple.

2007 JKU

Banned
I have to agree...mixing suspension parts will usually lead to a poorly functioning system.
Either pick a company that meets your build requirements or go full custom and hope for great results.
If you can't afford custom painted coil springs since you don't like Blue you can't afford to do this level of builds.

turbineguy

Stupid question but why would you want to run a coilover not designed or tested for the lever instead of the one intensively tested with it as a system?
EVO spent a lot if time and money working with King. Substituting a different part doesn't make much sense to me.
As far as the difference goes between the two at speed its night and day. I spent a week trying to keep up with the double throw down guys with my bolt ons. Mostly I could but this entailed bottoming out lots of times and beating the shit out of my jeep. We regularly hit 75 on single lane dirt roads and did 85-90plus a few times.
Then the big bumps came on the Vegas to Reno Race portion and then I couldn't hang. I was getting beat up at 50-60 and Mel was doing 70-80. A couple guys almost ate shit, through a ditch that Mel and Cindy as a passenger don't even remember crossing. Matter of fact the jeep in front of me slid through the ditch and through the berm off the course. That right there is the difference. You can race with one, the other you can't.

There is a $10k difference between the them as well. If the coil color is really a problem for you save your money. Buy the bolt on kit and paint the coils. I only say that as the guys that are going to truly use the DTD and Evo Lever for its intended use wouldn't care if it was hot pink, blue, or purple.

Sorry was traveling all day. The blue thing was a bit tongue in cheek. I should of made that clearer.

I am definitely going with a icon front coil over system, so I was more inquiring about whether matching the rear lever with icon shocks would be doable. I see that is not an option. To tell the truth after reading more about the lever, I'm wavering. I just can 100% justify the cost difference between performance compared to budget compared to my usage.

I'm not a go fast guy at all. Or a custom guy since vehicle is still bank sponsored. I like to leave option to return to stock and recycle my expenditures.

As far as evo vs icon, I understand that evo is awesome but someone has to try out new products.

I really do wish I could try out the lever sometime, but I wheel with a budget/TJ crew.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my mind at ant time and buy the triple down super duper high clearance arms and lever system at will. The odds if this will significantly increase if the system loses the blue shocks. :p

Now I need to go find a thread to work out my lift choices. Long arm vs metal cloak.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
^^^ agree 100% with 2007 JKU. Long arm is the way to go. it will help with your on road handling and help off road as well.

(i do not have a long arm set up, just going off of what i have been told multiple times)

Jeeper Jr.

So what makes the Bolt-on kit better than other coilover systems?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom