13' Reverse Lock-Out Issues

Does anyone else have any issues with the revers lockout on their Manual Tranny?

While most of the time I drive like an old man, there have been a few times I jumped into it taking off. Usually when I do this I only go nuts through first and second, and maybe a touch of third. Since I'm already going way too fast, I just slowly shift from third to sixth. (That's my intention anyway.) Both my wife and I have noticed that if you drive like a maniac through third and then go to shift into sixth the reverse lock-out doesn't work. In fact, it is REALLY tough NOT to hit reverse. As you can imagine the sounds are pretty bad and this is something I prefer not to do.

I regularly skid gears, I usually start in 2nd, to sometimes 3rd / sometimes 4th, and then to 6th. The point is I regularly come at 6th gear from other than 5th. As long as I do this from anything other than WOT there is no issue with the lock-out. In fact, I can't get it into reverse if I try. But if I am driving like I stole it, I have to run through all the gears to avoid this.

Any one else experience this?

I was not aware that there was a reverse lock on my 6 speed...maybe now I don't have to be so careful shifting from 5th to 6th.

Most manual transmissions have this. If I drive "normal" there is no way to get the shifter to move to the far right position for reverse, let alone the down. But if I'm driving like a maniac, It slips right over there! :eek:

Kinda makes me wonder if it's vacuum operated or something. (I thought most vacuum controls had been replaced by electronics though.)

Mine is an 08 and does this often. I haven't narrowed down the exact conditions because I just have learned to deal with it.

I have too....., now. But it sure was a shock when I discovered this for the first time! (Truth is I'm a slow learner and it took more like three times :crazyeyes: )

Top Bottom