2.75 lift, flat fenders, 37s on a 2dr Rubicon with trail functionality?

MacCleev

Hey jeepers,

i am looking to take the step to 37x12.5r17 mickey thompson baja claw ttc's on my 08 2dr rubicon. i realize there are a lot of "minimum requirement" threads out there but im trying to get specific now.

i am currently running a 2.75 lift with bushwacker flat styler fender flares with goodyear duratrac 35x12.5r17s. (also poison spyder brawler lite stubby bumper). everything fits great and at full flex it couldn't tuck better.
so now, as every jeeper knows, tire envy kicks in and i want those 37s.
i have had a few people tell me that if i add 1 inch wheel spacers, that will evenly balance out the 2" raise in tire size in respect to turning ability, given i go the same width tire. i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, and would like someone to explain that further.

this would give me some extra stance, as well as clearance, but when it comes down to it will my dana 44's be able to handle it with that extra pressue caused by the wheel extension, as well as the added weight of the 37s? i do plan to re-gear, and have seen some threads about beefing up the axel, however i have not seen any with the addition of spacers.

last of all, the articulation will cause fender issues i assume? obviously proper bump stops will fix that but how will that limit my trail ability? does anyone know anybody whose done similar mods?

i have already trimmed the rear body and have no problem trimming 'er down more.

An example of what i am going for is the low level of gravity such as the nitto vengeance build, with reliable trail ability, on a budget lol.

any input is great
-MacCleev

jkjurny

i have had a few people tell me that if i add 1 inch wheel spacers, that will evenly balance out the 2" raise in tire size in respect to turning ability, given i go the same width tire. i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, and would like someone to explain that further.

this would give me some extra stance, as well as clearance, but when it comes down to it will my dana 44's be able to handle it with that extra pressue caused by the wheel extension, as well as the added weight of the 37s? i do plan to re-gear, and have seen some threads about beefing up the axel, however i have not seen any with the addition of spacers.

You'll need the extra 1 inch because the extra tire size not only raises your Jeep, but the extra 1" on each side will stretch into your wheel well on the left and right side of your tires, possibly rubbing your internal wheel wells.

As far as your dana 44's, there are many people who run 37's on the stock JKUR 44s. Hell some people run 37s on Dana 30s. It all depends on how you drive and wheel your Jeep.

At a minimum, you should gusset your Cs if you haven't already with your 35s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
will my dana 44's be able to handle it with that extra pressue caused by the wheel extension, as well as the added weight of the 37s? i do plan to re-gear, and have seen some threads about beefing up the axel, however i have not seen any with the addition of spacers.

It'll hold up just as well as running a 37 on a wheel with less back spacing. Yes, it will put a bit more pressure on your bearings and will cause them to wear out a bit sooner but, that just comes with the territory and really, not that big of a deal. Or, at least to me anyway.

last of all, the articulation will cause fender issues i assume? obviously proper bump stops will fix that but how will that limit my trail ability? does anyone know anybody whose done similar mods?

If you're okay with losing up travel, you'll have no problems but of course, losing that will make your Jeep less stable on the rocks.

CrazyLarry

gusset your axle c's and add your 1.5 inch wheel spacers if you want your full turning radius if not add steering stop washers. If you dont want to lose articulation by adding more bump stop just throw a 1 inch body lift or 1 inch spacers on and keep your current bumpstops. If you dont want any more lift or dont want a body lift add more bumpstop. throw some chromoly shafts in and maybe truss you axle and you should be good. I would drive your rig for a while first until you decide on gears. trust me you will want them eventualy

Top Bottom