Rides like a tank. RK 3.5

2trackin

It's been a couple weeks since the install of my max travel lift from rock krawler. It's 3.5" and accompanied by some Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks. Initially I didn't pay to much attention to the ride, coming from a 6.5" long arm tj the new jk was quiet as could be and drove down the road much nicer. But after almost 1000 miles and working all day driving a fork lift on a dock in the shop. My back is killing me and the jk feels like it rides just as harsh as a 1 ton dually.
Is there another set of springs suggested or am I looking at coilovers for any noticeable ride quality increase?
I'd also like to add that the rock krawler springs seem soft enough. A half tank of fuel will make it squat on the right about an inch. They must just not compress much before maxing out compression for average Street driving. Another note, I live in Michigan. If you've ever been here you know how terrible most of our roads are.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The RK coils are dual rate and more times than not, I see people riding with the soft side of them near solid. At this point, any bump you hit will be on the firm side of the coil. I've heard many people complain about this and for a good reason. I would recommend a set of EVO plush ride coils as they are the softest set you can get and will offer a superior ride without having to run coil overs.

2trackin

The RK coils are dual rate and more times than not, I see people riding with the soft side of them near solid. At this point, any bump you hit will be on the firm side of the coil. I've heard many people complain about this and for a good reason. I would recommend a set of EVO plush ride coils as they are the softest set you can get and will offer a superior ride without having to run coil overs.

I just looked at them. Now the question begs, they have 3 and 4" with their 4" stating they ride tall on a 2 door.
I'm on 37s with Poison spyder BFH bumpers and no spare tire on the rk 3.5" coils. If I were 1" taller I would not fit in my garage. Not knowing how the rk coils stack up against others in ride height. what would you suggest, 3 or 4"?

jkjurny

Would he have to re-valve his Fox Shocks? I read in another thread somewhere that the Evo Plush and Fox Shocks don't go well together, unless they are re-valved.

2trackin

Would he have to re-valve his Fox Shocks? I read in another thread somewhere that the Evo Plush and Fox Shocks don't go well together, unless they are re-valved.

Ooh good question

ChaosNein

If it were an option in ones budget, I would recommend them being re-valved yes. But it is not totally necessary. There are plenty of people running "off the shelf" shocks with the plush ride coils.

If one went with those what are all the added components needed? Driveshaft, brake extensions,...etc?

I am again "assuming" that the OP has all of these things since he has a 3.5" RK already. But yes, we do recommend replacing the DriveLines and getting extended BrakeLines (not just the drop down brackets.) One might also want to look into the EVO Drag Link Flip kit to fix ones geometry between the Track Bar and Drag Link as well as the EVO RCC (Roll Center Correction) Bracket for the Rear Track Bar.

2trackin

Yeah, I have the works. Max travel kit came with flip. Track bars, extended brake lines, upper and lower control arms, sway bar links, etc. And I added a coast front driveshaft. Everything on the kit is great. Solid as could be, just wish my ride wasn't. Before I spend $400 on new coils I want to make sure it's really worth it. I'd like a good noticeably softer ride. If not, I'll just save up for Evo coilovers in front and Plush ride coils for the rear.

Beyrgut

I have pretty much the same setup and yeah it's a little "firm". I chalked it up more of the the Fox remote reservoir shocks. I knew going in they were a bit stiff of a shock. One thing I've noticed though with more millage (roughly 9k on them), the ride has softened up a bit, still firm but not near as rough as the first few thousand miles.

Last edited:

Paws

I have the same and after 6 months and a little weight added it rides pretty decent. But I have the Bilstein 5100s.

I love how solid it is. Also if you go more plush you might exp more body roll that the stiffness masks.

Hope that helps...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also if you go more plush you might exp more body roll that the stiffness masks.

You'll forgive me but, this is just an assumption on your behalf and one that is NOT true. A softer coil will simply provide a more comfortable ride. How tall you are, the shocks you run with them and your suspension geometry "can" lead to more body roll. Stiff coils are just that - stiff. And, for whatever it's worth, some people prefer it that way. Ride comfort is 100% subjective.

2007 JKU

Banned
Its not the coils...IMO Fox out of the box are on the stiff side. So have them revalved .
Also check your air pressure..

I used the RK rr's with my RK 3.5" kit and found them soft to my liking so I had them revalved a little stiffer. Now with their 5.5" coils and the new sway bars its perfect on and off road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its not the coils...IMO Fox out of the box are on the stiff side. So have them revalved .
Also check your air pressure..

I used the RK rr's with my RK 3.5" kit and found them soft to my liking so I had them revalved a little stiffer. Now with their 5.5" coils and the new sway bars its perfect on and off road.

:cheesy: You really are the ultimate RK fanboy aren't you! Honestly, have you ever run any other lift on your JK other than RK? Have you ever run any other coil or any other shock or any other combination of them together? I mean really, ride comfort is totally subjective and not everyone is gonna love what you love and if they don't, it isn't necessarily the fault of a product made by a company other than the one you seem to love.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Eddie and Drew-

what would be good options to go with the evo coils? I just swapped them in myself and couldnt be happier but need to get new shocks (selling old lift) and need them a little longer. Have the bilstein 5100 but is there something a little better before going to the king 2.5?

seanb123

Yeah, I have the works. Max travel kit came with flip. Track bars, extended brake lines, upper and lower control arms, sway bar links, etc. And I added a coast front driveshaft. Everything on the kit is great. Solid as could be, just wish my ride wasn't. Before I spend $400 on new coils I want to make sure it's really worth it. I'd like a good noticeably softer ride. If not, I'll just save up for Evo coilovers in front and Plush ride coils for the rear.

I'd have to agree with you before you get up and grab new coils I'd sit on them for a little. I had the same thing but eventually the spring and shocks broke in and now it's a lot bet. Note that mine were bilsteins and not fox and my is very comfy now

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie and Drew-

what would be good options to go with the evo coils? I just swapped them in myself and couldnt be happier but need to get new shocks (selling old lift) and need them a little longer. Have the bilstein 5100 but is there something a little better before going to the king 2.5?

Fox makes some great shocks but you won't really start to feel a measurable difference until you get up to a King. Granted, they cost a ton more too. Is there something specific you're hoping to change in your ride?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Fox makes some great shocks but you won't really start to feel a measurable difference until you get up to a King. Granted, they cost a ton more too. Is there something specific you're hoping to change in your ride?

The bilsteins I have now are nice and all with the plush rides, but just feel like it could ride even better which is why I am saving for the kings currently. Just want sure if ranchos or something will be a slight upgrade for now since I am selling my current shocks with my old coils.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The bilsteins I have now are nice and all with the plush rides, but just feel like it could ride even better which is why I am saving for the kings currently. Just want sure if ranchos or something will be a slight upgrade for now since I am selling my current shocks with my old coils.

Well, being that you have a 2-door, the plush ride coils more than likely has given you more than 3" of lift. While a set of king shocks will help smooth out the bumps better, your suspension geometry will still be off enough that you won't really feel a significant difference in ride quality until you can correct/flatten it out. Unfortunately, the only real way to do that is to install a long arm kit.

eeftw

I have 3" teraflex coils w/ bilstein 5100's on my 2-dr and the ride is very tame. The only time I ever had an ounce of complaints was when my wife was driving through Atlanta after a long weekend in Savannah GA. Needless to say I was a bit hungover so that was the only time the ride was unpleasant.

Top Bottom