Planning out my build--2012 JKUR

hydroslyder

Hey all,

I'm in the initial stages of planning my build up of my White 2012 Rubicon JKU. I'm a list maker so I'm gonna post it below and would love y'all to pick it apart. I posted this on JK-Forums as well but wanted to get myself introduced over here as well :)

I've got roughly $2,100 to go towards my initial purchase as this will be built up in stages. I would love opinions on what would be the best bang for the buck with my initial purchase. I'm leaning towards protection and recovery.

1. Front Bumper-Poison Spyder Brawler Lite w/ Plate Gussets
  2. Rear Bumper-Lod Signature Series Full Width, with linked tire carrier
  3. Skid Plates-Offroad Evolution Protec (Oil pan and tranny at minimum)
  4. Winch-Warn 9.5cti
  5. Synthetic Winch Line- Viking w/ Safety Thimble
  6. On Board Air-Northridge ARB underhood kit
  7. Differential Covers-Poison Spyder Bombshell front and rear
  8. Front and Rear Drive Shafts- J.E. Reel 1310
  9. Extended Brake Lines-TBD
  10. Lift Kit-Offroad Evolution Enforcer, w/ rock star skids, drag link flip kit, and grade 8 bolt upgrade
  11. Wheels-XD Addict 17x9 Black
  12. Tires-Trail Grappler 35x12.50R-17LT
  13. Rocker Guards-TBD (Like Offroad Evo's)
  14. Forward Lights-Rigid Dually Spots on A-Pillar and 10" or 20" E-Series on Bumper
  15. Reverse Lights-Rigid Dually Floods on tail-light mount
  16. Axle Gussets-Offroad Evo's C2 Gussets
  17. Fenders-Trim or Bushwacker
  18. Intake-Airaid
  19. Exhaust-Waiting to see what dynomax offers
  20. Various odds and ends (procal, switches, brackets etc.)

Look forward to what y'all have to say about the build. I'm aiming to attend some events out west next year if I can some of this done by then.

Yeti-09

Its always good to make a list, and check it 3,000 times!! I made a list and it changes all the time. dream big, play big.

First off do you ever plan on going bigger than 35s? Im gonna say that for most of us that thought we wouldn't ----we have! SO that being in mind, if your getting new drive shafts now, why not just go ahead and get the 1350 JE Reel instead and be done with it?

Do you not like Warn's synthetic line? Or do you just want a safety thimble? I have the CTI-S and love it! In the future if I need new line, Ill worry about that then. But it would be cheaper now to just get it as the S and not even worry about the cable that comes with the CTI. Just my :twocents:

If your getting the PSC front bumber Id go with the 10 E-series. My buddy has that on his and looks great, its mounted with the PSC fairlead light bracket. I think 20" up there would be way too "busy" and not look as good. Plus the 10" and the Dually spots together put off some serious light up front!

All in all it sounds like you have a good plan on your build and I look forward to see it unfold. :beer:

Prime8

Since your rocker guards are still 'TBD', I'll throw in my 2 cents... I have the LoD sliders and I like them. Banged them off rocks and only needed touch up to the paint. I needed something that was going to be a sound slider AND a usable step for the wife. That's when Eddie recommended the LoDs. They have a built in stepping platform for the front and rear doors, but it is streamlined enough to not look like a set of side steps. Small rocks do get caught inside the sliders if you're wheeling somewhere with sand/gravel, but they hose-out pretty well. I evaluated the EVO ones, but I can't weld and I didn't want to pay someone to install my sliders.

hydroslyder

Its always good to make a list, and check it 3,000 times!! I made a list and it changes all the time. dream big, play big.
Ha, I'm definitely a serious list maker...I love Excel and am continuously tracking my ideas for my jeep.

First off do you ever plan on going bigger than 35s? Im gonna say that for most of us that thought we wouldn't ----we have! SO that being in mind, if your getting new drive shafts now, why not just go ahead and get the 1350 JE Reel instead and be done with it?
Great thought, I know better than to say never, I know my initial tires will be 35's and probably won't go bigger than 37's as this is a Daily Driver.

Do you not like Warn's synthetic line? Or do you just want a safety thimble? I have the CTI-S and love it! In the future if I need new line, Ill worry about that then. But it would be cheaper now to just get it as the S and not even worry about the cable that comes with the CTI. Just my :twocents:
Great suggestion, I'll admit that the viking in blue is a mostly an aesthetic want, I really like the safety thimble viking puts out but I could likely swap this in (I'm a sailor and have access to people that can splice and manipulate this type of line). I'll consider the CTI-s :)

If your getting the PSC front bumber Id go with the 10 E-series. My buddy has that on his and looks great, its mounted with the PSC fairlead light bracket. I think 20" up there would be way too "busy" and not look as good. Plus the 10" and the Dually spots together put off some serious light up front!
This is the kind of thing I am looking for, I thought the 20" might be too much but wasn't sure, would love to see some pics of your buddies setup as it is exactly the direction I'm wanting to go (10" on the fairlead bracket)

Since your rocker guards are still 'TBD', I'll throw in my 2 cents... I have the LoD sliders and I like them. Banged them off rocks and only needed touch up to the paint. I needed something that was going to be a sound slider AND a usable step for the wife. That's when Eddie recommended the LoDs. They have a built in stepping platform for the front and rear doors, but it is streamlined enough to not look like a set of side steps. Small rocks do get caught inside the sliders if you're wheeling somewhere with sand/gravel, but they hose-out pretty well. I evaluated the EVO ones, but I can't weld and I didn't want to pay someone to install my sliders.

Another great suggestion, I am very undecided on rocker guards and the LOD's are definitely up there in my rankings along with the PSC's. I like the addition of the streamlined step, as I don't want my sliders to protrude very far. I've heard great things and the LOD's are definitely on my short list!

Great suggestions all around! This is exactly the sort of information and input I am looking for!

Last edited:

Prime8

I heard that while they look great, the PSC knockers can bend up against the body and clamp the door shut... They were at the top of my list, till I heard that.

StrizzyChris

Another great suggestion, I am very undecided on rocker guards and the LOD's are definitely up there in my rankings along with the PSC's. I like the addition of the streamlined step, as I don't want my sliders to protrude very far. I've heard great things and the LOD's are definitely on my short list!

I heard that while they look great, the PSC knockers can bend up against the body and clamp the door shut... They were at the top of my list, till I heard that.

I also was thinking of many sliders when I started my search. Tons of "bent tub" stories that I changed my mind and will only go frame mount(if you plan to use them and will be bouncing them off rocks/stumps/etc. LOD and EVO are the only ones I know of that are frame mount.

As prime stated EVO are weld on and hard as nails. I have never heard anything but good words for LOD as well. A pro and a con is it is bolt on. I cant weld either so its a pro for me for self install, but obviously with a good weld and it is inferior to the EVO.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

unfortunately, i have seen this happen many times. they look great but wouldn't be on my list of rocker guards to consider because of it. i have run multiple rockers and would now only recommend evo or lod.

hydroslyder

Excellent input, I hadn't come across stories of the bent PSC rails but I trust y'alls experience. Sliders are fairly low on my priority list considering I have stock Rubicon sliders and can spend that money elsewhere in my build-up until there comes a need for beefier protection in that area.

Thanks again for the awesome suggestions, look forward to hearing more!

ncbmx64

unfortunately, i have seen this happen many times. they look great but wouldn't be on my list of rocker guards to consider because of it. i have run multiple rockers and would now only recommend evo or lod.

Think I am a little late to read this post I ordered a set of the PSC rocker knockers last week and should be picking them up today. I wanted something bolt on for right now and from all I read these were the one of the best options. We will see how they hold up. I am not doing hardcore wheeling like WOL Im a newbie and taking my time learning and hitting some powerline trails and forest trails so I think they will work for my current needs. When I learn how to wheel my rig better and get on some harder trails I will look at upgrading if needed.

Yeti-09

(Hydroslyder) This is the kind of thing I am looking for, I thought the 20" might be too much but wasn't sure, would love to see some pics of your buddies setup as it is exactly the direction I'm wanting to go (10" on the fairlead bracket)

Got jk-forum and look up "stillnutz" he can get you some pics pf it, Im in Afghan right now and don't have any on my computer of his set up.... I run the Evo 1/4 pounder with stinger and a 20" :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom