2013 SEMA TDI Jeep Diesel Conversion

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a lot of photos but, I thought it would be worth mentioning that a company called TDI Jeep was at the 2013 SEMA Show with a VW TDI Diesel conversions for Jeeps.

main.php

main.php

The TDI motor is almost bullet proof. I would be interested in finding out what transmission they use. Is it a kit like MOTEC does for the LS and Hemi conversions?

why do you have such problems to get a diesel engine in the JK?
In Europe you can get a 2.8CRD diesel with 200hp in the JK....I would even say it's the most popular engine in a JK.
The engine is constructed in Italy by a company called "VM Motori": http://www.vmmotori.it/en/automotive-2/4-cilindri/a-428-dohc.html and http://www.vmmotori.it/en/customer-portfolio/jeep-wrangler.html

There is pressure on auto manufacturers to "avoid" the use of diesel engines in the US because most of our freight is moved by truck and not rail. The thought is that diesel should be "saved" for over-the-road trucks. This keeps the price of diesel lower and intern freight and shipping is cheaper. If we had a decent rail system this issue would be mute. This concern was raised about 10 years ago when diesel engines became the norm in medium and light duty trucks. The popularity caused the price of diesel to double in just a few years. (When I was a kid diesel was WAY cheaper than gas. Now it is more.) It comes down to supply and demand....

Sorry to thread-jack, just answering the question.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
This company is doing the 2.0L VWM motor in the JKs with the 1.5L (I think is what I read?) in the TJs. I don't know if a 2.0L would have enough power to push tires bigger than 35's, I don't care what the gear ratio is. I think a 3.0L is necessary for 37s and bigger though I'd be happy with a healthy 2.8L (like someone mentioned, the Euro Diesel is 2.8L).

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
There is pressure on auto manufacturers to "avoid" the use of diesel engines in the US because most of our freight is moved by truck and not rail. The thought is that diesel should be "saved" for over-the-road trucks. This keeps the price of diesel lower and intern freight and shipping is cheaper. If we had a decent rail system this issue would be mute. This concern was raised about 10 years ago when diesel engines became the norm in medium and light duty trucks. The popularity caused the price of diesel to double in just a few years. (When I was a kid diesel was WAY cheaper than gas. Now it is more.) It comes down to supply and demand....

Sorry to thread-jack, just answering the question.

True, but if the demand were there from more diesel cars, manufacturers would increase the supply. Diesel is easier and cheaper to make than more refined unleaded gas. :thumb:

gt88norm

There is pressure on auto manufacturers to "avoid" the use of diesel engines in the US because most of our freight is moved by truck and not rail. The thought is that diesel should be "saved" for over-the-road trucks. This keeps the price of diesel lower and intern freight and shipping is cheaper. If we had a decent rail system this issue would be mute. This concern was raised about 10 years ago when diesel engines became the norm in medium and light duty trucks. The popularity caused the price of diesel to double in just a few years. (When I was a kid diesel was WAY cheaper than gas. Now it is more.) It comes down to supply and demand.... Sorry to thread-jack, just answering the question.

There's currently an issue of Modern Marvels "Freight Trains" on the History Channel that constitutes an more in depth and accurate presentation regarding the the relationship of : freight, diesel, *RTVs(trucks), and rail.

Norm
36+ years@ 'Tacoma Rail'
an Public Utility owned & operated
service provider

*rubber tired vehicles

The higher cost of diesel is purely gouging, nothing more, nothing less. It's cheaper, easier, & safer to produce & transport. The refiners read the writing on the wall and jacked the profits in advance, refiners are expanding their capacities at an un presented rate as we read.

Last edited:
Every gallon of crude oil produced a certain percentage of several fuels, see below:

oil-refining-diagram.gif

So while Diesel is cheaper to "Finish" refining than Gasoline the over-use of one type absolutely disturbs the balance of production and intern the prices. I have seen this first-hand as I have been involved with the controls of two refining facilities that were making modifications in an effort to produce more diesel.

I'm not saying that price gouging doesn't happen, but there is more at play than this alone.

Sorry for the thread topic side-bar.

Edit... I should add that Plastics play in this too. In Fact, plastic production is though to be one of the largest contributors to general oil price increases in the last decade. (This and Chinese people don't want to ride bicycles anymore)

Last edited:
Top Bottom