Help with skid plates

noroad

Ok guys i have a rubicon express long arm for my 2012 sport, the new crossmember does not like the old transfer case skid at all. so is anyone running this crossmember and what skids do you have for everything?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is definitely a problem with this lift kit. I would think you should be able to make some modifications to make it work though. I wish I could be of more help but everyone I know who's had this lift no longer has it.

noroad

You would think with this being there newest lift to come out they might have fixed such a stupid little problem.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You would think with this beeing there newest lift to come out they might have fixed such a stupid little problem.

It may be a new lift but, to the best of my knowledge, they are still using the same crossmember.

noroad

It may be a new lift but, to the best of my knowledge, they are still using the same crossmember.

That is true but they should have fixed this or made there own. I called rubicon express to ask them what i can run and the guy told me that they are working on a tranny one, i asked so what about the transfer case he said " well its not that important as it is out of the way" I said have you ever been off roading? lol

So people out there with RE long arms are running no skid, come on guys help me out what have you done.

JKWrang

Maybe try contacting a local fab shop and see if they can custom build one round here? Try elias 4wd. They migght be willing to do something for you if they can. Worth a shot

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

noroad

Maybe try contacting a local fab shop and see if they can custom build one round here? Try elias 4wd. They migght be willing to do something for you if they can. Worth a shot

i called 4wd and they told me that they had no idea but to call genright and see if they could wip something up but i see a couple guys on here with RE long arms and would love to know what they have.

munstie

If you trim the ear on the one side it will bolt back up meaning the transfer case skid, it's just the new crossmember is wider than the stock one. I will try and get a picture of what I did to mine tomorrow.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Last edited:

noroad

If you trim the ear on the one side it will bolt back up meaning the transfer case skid, it's just the new crossmember is wider than the stock one. I will try and get a picture of what I did to mine tomorrow.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Thanks that would be great!!

JKWrang

i called 4wd and they told me that they had no idea but to call genright and see if they could wip something up but i see a couple guys on here with RE long arms and would love to know what they have.

I'm kindbof disappointed they just flat out said they didn't know. Really makes me glad I haven't given them any business. Some class act ingenuity right there :crazyeyes:

cconstab

Any chance you could post that picture ? I have the same issue now the shop that installed the lift cannot get the skids back on..

Sent from my SM-N900T using WAYALIFE mobile app

munstie

Here's the pic of my skid where I trimmed it to bolt back up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1398321607010.jpg
    1398321607010.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 121

cconstab

Wonderful thanks.. My RROR seemingly will not fit according to the shop. So I will take down my stock ones and show them this! Thanks again..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wonderful thanks.. My RROR seemingly will not fit according to the shop. So I will take down my stock ones and show them this! Thanks again..

You do realize that the photo posted was of a factory transfer case skid plate and that the modification was made to make it work, right? You do know that your RROR replacement skid is designed differently and shouldn't have this problem, right? The fact that your shop can't get it to fit is not uncommon and this is even on brand new Jeeps.

noroad

Any chance you could post that picture ? I have the same issue now the shop that installed the lift cannot get the skids back on..

Do you still need pics i can go take some good ones of all my skids with there crossmember.

cconstab

You do realize that the photo posted was of a factory transfer case skid plate and that the modification was made to make it work, right? You do know that your RROR replacement skid is designed differently and shouldn't have this problem, right? The fact that your shop can't get it to fit is not uncommon and this is even on brand new Jeeps.

Yup I understood that but thanks for the note.. I figured put on the stock plates which is better than nothing for the moment.. Boy I wish I had more time to do this work myself like I used to on my TJ & CJ7 then I could only blame myself when things got screwed up! Anyhow the shop called this morning and said they worked last night and fab'd something up to get the RROR's fitted up.. As many folks on the forum have said the RROR are far from perfect but they are what I had on the Jeep when it went in so I would like to keep them for the moment at least!!
I will post up some photo's of the skids and lift when I get it back this afternoon! It should be cool.. Just need to bed the new axles in (ProRocks!) and its down to Hollister SVRA then off to the Rubicon for the 1st time and back to the Dusy this time with 37's and a bit more lift (boy that was tough with a stock rig but we made it with the RROR's and a winch on Thompson Hill!)

I am a JK noob... But a Jeep nut!

Thanks Eddie! I will be wearing my Wayalife T when I pick it up!

cconstab

Do you still need pics i can go take some good ones of all my skids with there crossmember.

I am good now but post them and I will post mine when I get it back from the shop today with the RROR fitted backup.. Thanks also for your posts on the RE 4-Link LA lift you installed, great info and well insttalled thanks for sharing! Seems not that many have gone this route for a lift.. I may regret it but I hope not! Time will tell..

cconstab

Dozer is back.. Looks like a few holes were drilled a couple of spacing plates and rror bolts back up..

Attachments

• 1398383387427.jpg
    1398383387427.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 74
  • 1398383412618.jpg
    1398383412618.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1398383437149.jpg
    1398383437149.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 71
  • 1398383465682.jpg