Roof Rack Question

JKU EXTREME

I want to know if there is anyone who is running a roof rack with their spare tire on it.
Is it advised or not advised? Why?
Thanks
-John

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to being really hard to access, you will significantly change your center of gravity and for the worse. I personally wouldn't recommend it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't run a roof rack for tire carrying purposes, so I'll agree with Eddie on that point. As far as roof racks in general, sometimes they are needed. Usually my wife and I travel alone, so we can fold the back seats down and have enough toom for all our gear (which is a lot, since we're driving cross country.) Having said that, if we were traveling with our kids (too young now, but you get the picture) we wouldn't be able to fold the back seats down and then we definitely wouldn't have enough room. Trailers are great and all, but many (myself included) have nowhere to keep one, so a roof rack is the only other solution to cargo capacity expansion. I also agree with Eddie that for some reason (cost probably) most manufacturers build roof racks out of steel (worthless and dumb IMHO) instead of aluminum. I would look into the AEV rack or the Front Runner full/half rack. Front runner racks are extremely strong (as evidenced by the video below) and other than the mounting brackets, most of their rack is aluminum, so it is far lighter. The only bonus a GOBI rack has is that it's a no-drill rack, but it is indeed heavy. I guess you gotta pick your poison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-Zw5cyBEo

rodgerdathug

Not trying to high jack this thread but what about this style for rack ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384277304.080041.jpg
Would this be better for you

Edit I don't have a roof rack or tire just throwing out any idea
Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

JKU EXTREME

Not trying to high jack this thread but what about this style for rack View attachment 56373
Would this be better for you

Edit I don't have a roof rack or tire just throwing out any idea
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

I've considered that, based off the Moby look, but I would be wanting the Genright tire carrier. I have actually looked into the racks more now and I like the synergy interior rack because I would get the extra space and I could put an arb fridge below it

rodgerdathug

I've considered that, based off the Moby look, but I would be wanting the Genright tire carrier. I have actually looked into the racks more now and I like the synergy interior rack because I would get the extra space and I could put an arb fridge below it

Yea these seem more practical and there are a lot if different variation with tire racks

FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom