2014 oil change

Ed Lapadura

So today I go to do the first oil change. Regular stuff right? Not so fast says me. Got a fram filter and mobile 1 oil drain and refill crankcase change the filter start her up and I have only 5 lbs oil pressure. :eek: Rut Row seems the part store doesn't have a listing for a 2014 and sent me a filter for a 2013.:grayno: The filter that came out had 4 prongs and a nipple with a o-ring and the fram filter just had 4 prongs...no nipple or o-ring. So either fram is making shit that doesn't work or jeep had a change for the new model. at any rate I had to put the old one back in which I don't think will be a problem being the vehicle only had 3000 miles. Anyone seen this before? :thinking: Oh I forgot to mention the check engine light came on and when I went to retrieve the code it came up unsupported so I assume the code was low oil pressure related and cleared it. Now the oil pressure is normal and the check engine light hasn't come back on.

Panda

If that's your first oil change you should go to the dealer & get the correct oil filter before too many miles that filter will have all the yucky break in metal in it most important change is your first one

Ed Lapadura

If that's your first oil change you should go to the dealer & get the correct oil filter before too many miles that filter will have all the yucky break in metal in it most important change is your first one

I have the new filter coming in the morning and I looked very close at the original. there was no sign of any metal in it.

Panda

It would be hard to see any metal but after engine break in, it's in there, sounds like you got it handled great choice on the Mobil1 too

Brewbek

I have the new filter coming in the morning and I looked very close at the original. there was no sign of any metal in it.

If you cut the ends of the old filter off and unroll the paper, look at the inner side of the paper and I bet you will find filings. I had several in mine..

CDAutrey

2014 oil filter problem is worse than you know!

Because the parts stores aren't aware there was a filter modification between 2013 and 2014. Even the Jeep dealership parts guys don't know because their digital documentation for the 2014 shows the filter sans nipple/O-ring!

I had a similar situation to yours...bought a Purolator filter and Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W20 at Pep Boys. 1975 miles on the Jeep is a good time to drop the original oil and go synthetic. When I fired it up at the quick lube I got no warnings of any kind, so I left. ~1/4 mile away got a "ding, ding, ding..." and saw the oil symbol flashing. Major pucker. Scrolled through to the oil pressure screen while turning around. Back at the quick lube they retrieved the old filter and tried to remove the assembly with the O-ring. It would spin but I didn't have the balls to try too hard to pull it out, so it was reinstalled and all went normal...other than now 6 quarts of M1 Syn are potentially contaminated. Returned the oil filter to Pep Boys...gotta give'm 2 thumbs up...they refunded me for the filter AND the oil.
Headed straight to the Jeep dealership...and here's where it gets good! Listen up...

Jeep store parts counter tried to sell me the wrong filter...one that looked precisely like the Purolator from Pep Boys. Swore it was for the 2014. Explained the nipple/O-ring to the parts counter guy and he spun the screen around, showed me the exploded view of the 2014 oil pump/filter...it didn't show the filter with the nipple and O-ring. You likely know they went to an electric oil pump for 2014...that's why it holds 90psi when you fire it up cold. 2-3 miles and it drops down to 40psi. Anyway, we walked down to the Jeep store quick oil change place and they knew the score...there was a change between 2013 and 2014. Comp'd me the filter, and the parts guy was amazed that the change had not been communicated to his department.
I emailed Chrysler/Jeep customer service and they've started an investigation. They need to know that parts stores don't know about this change...even their own parts counters aren't aware of it!
My major concern...and we're discussing this...is I have no idea how much wear can be attributed to this event. Is my engine life reduced by 2000 miles? Or 20,000? No way it's a "No harm, no foul..."
Let me hear some thoughts...I drove about 1/2 mile total, never exceeded 35 mph outbound and on the return, I accelerated gently to about 25mph and coasted as much as I could with it in neutral, i.e., no load on the engine. Watched the oil pressure...2psi @ idle, 14psi @ 25mph. At least there was some pressure.
Happy trails to all...

Ed Lapadura

Wow I'm glad I caught it at my shop and didn't drive it. The dealer didn't know about the change in my case either. When I pointed it out they looked deeper and saw the difference. Long story short I bought four filters from them. Know I'm good for awhile

Sent from my LG-P659 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom